Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Castigator STC Titan project!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Castigator STC Titan project!

My tiny battleforce is almost finished, but twenty guardsmen, three heavy weapons' squads, and one Leman Russ just isn't epic enough for me, so I've been thinking of starting a 40k-scale Titan; I've got slightly more freedom in designing a Titan than I do building anything else that Games Workshop or Forge World offers a plastic or resin kit of, and it will probably cost less than that company of Forgeworld Baneblades I wanted to buy! ;D

I've been thinking of building the Castigator STC Titan - the Father of All Titans instead of going with my earlier plans of building a Warlord Battle Titan, and basing it loosely (note - loosely) off the Atlas from Battletech.

My idea of scale would peg height at at an even seven feet in height when fully assembled, standing straight, which would, assuming your average guardsman is 1.7 metres tall, place it at an in-universe scale of ~140 metres in height. I've been roughing out a few sketches now and thinking of how I will build it. Nothing is confirmed yet, but I have a feeling that this is going to be something more than just a passing craze.

I'm not exactly sure what I should put in it in terms of weapons, systems, all that. I'm going to have to model each weapon myself. I'm not too concerned about the rules at this moment, I figure I'll build it first and then take care of the rules based on what we see in the finished product (I don't want to build something just to take advantage of the rules) So, I'm open for suggestions. What do you want to see on the STC Castigator "Father of All Titans?"

Oh yeah - aside from a point value in the millions, heh heh. We'll talk about that later.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Castigator STC Titan project!

^^ Well, I know I wrote the article on the Castigator on the Lexiw/e wiki site. And the Tigershark one. ^^

Anyway, I guess I'd want the armor to be white, without a doubt. I lost the book "Dark Adeptus" but iirc, the Castigator was white in it as well.

If you haven't, I highly suggest you read "Dark Adeptus." It will certainly shed more light on the Castigator than my article or any article on the internet.

...Castigator...fun to say. ^^
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Gotcha, I'll see if I can find it on Amazon. I'll head down to the Games Workshop in the Eaton's Centre and see if I can find the book there.

Thanks!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It just came out, I think 07, maybe 06, so it shouldn't be too hard to find or expensive. I found mine at the Barnes & Nobles round where I live. ^^

Enjoy and be sure to post pictures of your project.
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Currently I haven't gotten anything done yet. I'm just looking around at what I've got on hand and what the stores have in stock to see how I should design this. There's no sense in designing it based on parts we 'could get' and then finding out only after the Titan's half-complete that those parts aren't available! I've been thinking of using drum hardware for the Titan's 'skeleton' because that would allow us to move the joints to put the Titan in different poses without much difficulty.

It could take a long time, given my busy schedule, but I'm sure the rewards will be worth it in the end.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well the Casitagor no longer exists. The last one was destroyed by Alaric in the book Dark Adeptus.

Even if one did exist it would be significantly taller than even a Warlord Titan and would look NOTHING like an Atlas. It would look more akin to something from i-robot on a massive scale.

It's also not really practical rules wise. It would be even bigger than a Warlord and would be almost impossible to destroy if you go by the fluff in that all damage is just about instantly repaired and it's shields strong enough to stop battleship weaponry, not to mention incredibly potent armaments from the Dark Age of Technology which would be able to gun through Imperial Titan Legions with impunity.

Also remember that the book Dark Adeptus is in most ways horrible and utter trash. The Titans were developed during the Age of Strife, long after the Dark Age of Technology and thus no STC of any Titan design would exist. So either the novel is just blatantly false or the Castigator is a thing of chaos and simply lied about the existence of an STC. The whole Grey Knight series is rubbish really.

While the Castigator sounds cool it's just not a practical thing in any way, shape, or form. Even a Baneblade company is over the top if you've only got a battleforce of IG.

I strongly suggest you save any big projects for when you know more about the background and have built up your army more. Instead of blowing hundreds of bucks on a gargantuan project buy a few more battleforces and other IG things. Get your army up to 2-3000 points before adding things like Baneblades and Titans.

I mean a massive battle Titan or a company of Baneblades seems sweet but when would you ever use it? Even in an Apocalypse game a Baneblade's gotta be backed up by something and a Warlord Titan+ is almost too big to use.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While I applaud your zeal, I have to agree with Vash on this.

fluff wise, fielding a Castigator would be like fielding a model of the Emperor. And there is the little detail that you would not be able to use it in a conventional battle, due to that fact that:

1: You won't be able to move it because it is just too big.
2: Your opponent will not allow you to field it.
3: Your opponent will die from laughing so hysterically.

And unless you intend on devoting your entire life to warhammer, it will simply take to long to build such a tremendous model.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmmm the above posters do have a point, however at the same time it's your hobby and you make it what it is.

I would however suggest tackling a smaller project first if your new to building big buggars like that, the result may not be quite as awe inspiring as what you've got in mind now, but the techniques you'll learn through trial and error with something smaller (say a Warhound) will pay off when it comes to building something bigger, you'll vbe better equipped to fulfil your inspriation.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If it's just a project, I don't see why he can't just have at it.

Although having read Vash's comment, it makes me wonder why we couldn't just put on a costume and play 40k. Okay, maybe too big at that point but meh. :P
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually unless your 8-9 feet tall it would be too SMALL to wear a suit.

It is your hobby and you can do what you want, but there's no point saying "go ahead chap" with a project that is so very impractical. The Castigator Titan is in most every way a heresy against the fluff and the Grey Knights Series (along with the Blood Angel Series) should both be burned from the records. The very background for it makes it's existence go against the canon. As said the Titans came about in the age of Strife, AFTER the Dark Age of Technology when the STC's were created. There is NO STC for Titans. Obviously the author of the Grey Knights books didn't do his research but the point is it's a horrendously impractical and unfluffy thing. You'd be better off making a Warlord Titan which at least has useable rules that won't have people crying "cheese" too often. The Apocalypse book has rules for the Warlord Titan.

However even then I would suggest you build your army up more first. A single battleforce of IG isn't really enough to justify the support of a Titan of any size. Build your guard up, play games, and lay the ground work for any bigger future projects but keep them on the back burner so to speak. Give yourself preparation and build up time and get a Guard army big enough to make an Apocalypse game more fun than just a one sided Titan vs everything match.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote