Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building a Guard Army/ Help wanted
Old 15 Apr 2008, 02:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Building a Guard Army/ Help wanted

Good Day To all!!

I have recently after many years finally bought some 40k; I used to play way back when everything was Rouge Trader and the Guards still had Squats in there ranks. But my main game I play is LOTR, which is why i need the help of you fans for my Imperial Guard Force. I have bought the following

Box set of 20 Cadian Troops
3 blisters of the KASRKIN Troops and 1 Blister of the heavy weapons team squad of 11 in Total
Then I Bought the "CATACHAN BATTLE FORCE" Due to the fact that it seemd like a deal and the Sentinels always looked like great on the gaming board. What should I do next? Please any help? Advice would be grateful- Thanks
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 03:03   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Building a Guard Army/ Help wanted

Depends. What army you want? Drop Troop? Mechanized? Grenadiers? Or just normal Infantry? What's your play style? You like them static or mobile?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey Zenai,
Thanks for the quick responce. I guess I want a more mobile forc. I was thinking of geting another Sentinel and i would have three for my "fast attack". Then buy a Kasrkin Commander and put all 12 of them in a Chemeara useing the heavy weapons to shoot out the turret. My main problem is Do the Catachan fight well alongside the Cadians and can i Use their HQ for my whole army.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not really sure how much info I can give away here without bringing the wrath of GW down on me, but I'll try and help.

Kasrkin can deep strike, and are more durable than the average guardsman so I recommend transporting a regular infantry squad (known as an armored fist squad) in the chimera instead.

You don't really need to buy a separate Kasrkin sergeant, unless the guys you play with are very annal about that sort of thing. Just paint a sergeant emblem on the shoulder pads of a regular Kasrkin, and you have a Kasrkin sergeant.

And yes, Catachans and Cadians can be mixed together if you want since they are all Imperial Guard. If you intend to use doctrines though, the mix of foces would be messy.

Oh yeah, and you might want to buy the codex.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 14:35   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I don't think Deep Striking really count as being mobile. Mobility is when you can really move around. Like for example, those Sentinels. You can move up to XX inches and still fire their main weapon *I hope GW doesn't punish me for this*

Now, Imperial Guard is by right and advocated by the mighty and wise Wargamer as being a static firebase but that doesn't stop you steering away from that concept.

Now, if you see the infantrymen in the Imperial Guard (Every foot slogger), you'll see them that they have no movement enhancing special rule whatsoever. Imperial Guard has no Jump pack, no super human leap ability or teleporters. When we're on foot, the Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau Crisis Suit, Jump pack wearing bio-engineered super human and fleeting tyranids can beat us in a race with only one leg and still have time to stuff eggs up our arses.

So, we have to use Chimeras to get our infantry around. Oh, if you're the type of guy who keeps moving his guardsmen around, don't take heavy weapons. It'll be a waste. And I can't believe I'm saying this and hope Wargamer may forgive me, you may take Carapace Armor for that better Armor save IF you think your guardsmen will be out in the open for long periods of time. But I'll also want to say that those points are better spent on more guardsmen. They can't win unless they kill us fast enough ^^ unless they have pie plates of doom and flamers........SO, it's up to you. I recommend getting more guardsmen.

So.....CHIMERAS! CHIMERAS! CHIMERAS!

Now, for your elite choice. It also depends whether you want a better armor save or not. If you don't want better armor save, get hardened veterans. Cheaper, can have 1 more special weapons and have the same stats as a Storm Trooper *Get the Codex and you'll see* Otherwise you get Storm Troopers.

Oh important note: You can't and never will make your guardsmen up to par with Space Marine. SO forget quality. QUANTITY! is the motto.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok and once agian thanks for all the advice, i guess now i really have to buy the codex to read some rules.....or a Tank. Is the Baneblade worth the cash we pay for it? or should i just focas on the leman russ's
Old 15 Apr 2008, 19:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

leman russ definatly

the baneblade is only usable for apoc games unless you buy the $90 IA 1

so in other words the russ is legal the baneblade is usually not. That said IF you plan on doing one of the two baneblades rock.

I have the perfect poster that describes the baneblade perfectly(if I remember where I stored it).
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 19:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hi, welcome to the forums. I'm one of the IG board mods and I'll try to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul
Hey Zenai,
Thanks for the quick responce. I guess I want a more mobile forc. I was thinking of geting another Sentinel and i would have three for my "fast attack".
You can fit a lot of Sentinels in your army. Your command squads can have an attached element of Sentinels while each Fast Attack slot can have a squad of 1-3 Sentinels.

Quote:
Then buy a Kasrkin Commander and put all 12 of them in a Chemeara useing the heavy weapons to shoot out the turret.
Stormtroopers (called Kasrkin in the Cadian Imperial Guard) can not be equipped with heavy weapons. They may however be given special weapons such as plasmaguns, flamers, grenade launchers etc. Also, the maximum squad size for stormtroopers is 10 models.

If you need any more help, feel free to post away.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 00:38   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thank you very much, and I think at-least until I go out and buy the Codex all my questions have been answered
Old 16 Apr 2008, 00:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Thank you very much, and I think at-least until I go out and buy the Codex all my questions have been answered
and any more you have will probally be answered by the codex

check out the FAQ on the GW site once you got the codex. If you have questions about something in the codex it's probable that it's in the FAQ.

if your answer isn't in either then feel free to ask us. ;D

Welcome to the guard 8)
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote