Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

heavy weapons platoons
Old 13 Apr 2008, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default heavy weapons platoons

I'm going to start imperial guard soon and i was wondering if it is better to put heavy weapons in infantry squads or heavy weapons platoons. i was originally planning to have them in the basic troop squads but my friend says platoons are better. what are your opinions?
shas,o kauyon,va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 23:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: heavy weapons platoons

Player preference IMO, if you like tanks, I would put them in infantry or vise versa, I personally take them in my command teams, then I could still have heavy weapons and tanks, then I just give my guard squads special weapons so there more manuverable (I will ocassionly give them heavy weapons too though).

Good luck and welcome to Tau Online.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG

Dude, heavy weapon platoons is going to be a waste of a heavy support slot, get your heavy weapon squads from the extra squads you can take alongisde your command squads. much more economical, and also you dont have to buy a whole new command squad for each set of 3 heavy suppour squads.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
YakmastermaxIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, the five support squads you get with your command platoon are the best way to field heavy weapons. You can only field two of each type of heavy weapon squad, but they are free on the FO chart since they count as part of your HQ choice.

There is also the fact that you need to spend a doctrine point for the heavy weapon platoons (if you play with doctrines that is)

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah the best way to use heavy weapons is to put them into command HQ. They are very economical points wise and you can then spend those extra precious points buying a juicy Battle tank. Don't take Heavy weapons in troop squads. The reason for this is because your guard squads are gonna be very mobile and you wont get a chance to use the heavy weapons often, just stick with special weapons for your average guard squad.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 13:07   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
Yeah the best way to use heavy weapons is to put them into command HQ. They are very economical points wise and you can then spend those extra precious points buying a juicy Battle tank. Don't take Heavy weapons in troop squads. The reason for this is because your guard squads are gonna be very mobile and you wont get a chance to use the heavy weapons often, just stick with special weapons for your average guard squad.
How are you playing gaurd!

My opinion is to put them in your HQ as support squads, and in your troops, running a gun line, and keeping one or two squads with no heavy weapon to run around and capture objectives. Or, have multiple weapons, and, if you cannot fire them, move them to capture objectives.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think it all depends on the weapon. My opinion:

Mortar: Never take it in an Infantry squad... you want three blasts together with a high chance of pinning, as well as the fact that you want them out of sight. Nine lasguns can't do much when they don't have line-of-sight to the target.

Heavy Bolter: Of all the weapons, I think this one should be taken in an Infantry squad. The three shots aren't that powerful, but are a nice addition to hurl at whatever you're Guardsmen are shooting at. They do pretty well in a dedicated squad, but I'd stick to Infantry Squads.

Autocannon: The Autocannon is pretty versatile, I find it works well in a squad of Guardsmen, because those two shots can take down any particular tough targets, but you may fear that they're wasted shooting at whatever you're Guardsmen shoot at, or your lasguns are wasted shooting at whatever your AC does. I for one stick to dedicated AC squads, but they work well either way.

Lascannon: Definitely a good choice for dedicated squads, especially those with the Sharpshooters doctrine. However, I personally take them in Infantry squads to keep them alive and well. To me, its very simply a Lascannon with 10 wounds. However, this means you're either wasting your lasguns, or your lascannon. I have no qualms though, its worked for me pretty well.

Missile Launcher: One of my personal favorite, I always put these in Infantry squads. Their adaptability works well: they can either bolster up the lasgun barrage with a frag missile, or if something urgent comes up, they can blast away with the krak missile. Dedicated squads do all right, again, they're very versatile, which works well.

Thats just my take on things.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think lascannons and autocannons in command teams, heavy bolters and missile launchers in the line squads. Autocannons in the line squads is alright though if you take lascannons in the command sections.

the biggest problem with using support squads and heavy weapons platoons is that they will get targeted repeatedly. An AT squad attached to the HQ, for example cost almost as much as a line squad but contains only 6 models. That's 2 heavy bolters worth of KIA from enemy fire to knock out a concentraited threat and many points...

I found this an interesting read:

http://www.warmongerclub.com/articles/ig1-HQ-1CO.html
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 02:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've ran a heavy weapons platoon a couple of times. I take them for fluff mostly and my squads are mobile so I don't put my heavy weapons in them.

They usually don't get targeted much mainly because when a squad gets to target them they suddenly get surrounded by infantry loaded to the brim with special weapons.

my suggestions, based on the heavy weapon

Mortars- mortar squads period. If you use the vox-network tatic then your command squad but that's it.

Heavy bolters- Either way, it's your call. I personally use them in their own squads.

Autocannons- Either. I like these in either because they are so versital it depends on the fluff as to what way I'm using them though.

Lascannon- Squads no ifs, ands, or buts. putting them in dedicated squads gets them killed. It's the only weapon that can reliable destroy armor at range. If your opponent fields several tanks they'll be the first one's targeted. If you don't take them in platoons you only have 2 squads, probally not enough to survive and do damage, and any more is getting too exspencive in points. so put a couple in squads and they should do fine.

Missile Launcher- once again either. pretty much the same reasons as autocannons. A few of these might go into squads here and there, in my current list, the only heavy weapons to do so. I'll add in that these make much better anti-tank weapons in an anti-tank squad. They'll draw a crapload less fire than lascannons in dedicated squads.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I used to play guard a bit and IMO your heavy support slots are better for tanks and you don't get much in a HW platoon. I used to use my HQ options for any specific teams I wanted (like heavy bolters which work well together as a hosedown group, or mortars), but a good even mix of heavy weapons in actual infantry squads and special weapons (assault weapons, whatever) makes it more fluid, adaptable and lets you get an extra tank.

But I love Lemans so I'm a bit biased.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote