Default just startin guard any ideas what 2 get

basically wat the above says
Thanks 4 any ideas

IRON MAIDEN RULE GOD SAVE THE QUEEN BRITAINS BEST
Revolution is my name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: just startin guard any ideas what 2 get

If you're starting Guard, your top priority will be getting the Imperial Guard Codex. Have a flick through and see if you like the fluff, regiments and so on. Next you'll need to think of picking a Regiment, or a Regiment which you've created yourself.

Next step is making an army list, for points wise, you'll need an army totaling up to 1,000 points or 1,500 points. Or if you wish, you can either get the Cadian or Catachan Battleforce box and start off from there.

If you have any other queries, don't hesitate to ask.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 12:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The codex, then basicly what apostle said, research and see what one you like best because each army in guard is diffrent and I am not sure which kind you like so I dont want to misinform you, also Reveloution, read the forum rules please, tiddy up on your grammer big time and dont make small threads that dont really explain anything.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 13:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes the codex. It is one of the most difficult codecies to comprehend, so read it carefully.

Then of course, you will need an HQ and 2 troop choices. For IG, this means more than 2 x10man squads. You will need at the minimum cost:

HQ
Officer + 4 guardsmen

troops
Junior officer + 4 guardsmen
2 x10 man guard squad

another troop choice as above, or an armored fist squad with chimera

You are looking at probably 3 boxes of troops and a chimera here, so perhaps $150 or so.

Of course, you can start off cheaper by playing combat patrol, or simply playing with whatever size army you paint up with your friends. Just remember that 1 guardsmen isn't going to stand up to one Space Marines, so the best bet is to assume equal numbers will loose every time. IG rely upon numbers, which is why you will spend so much to start a legal army.

Hope this helps.
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For a cheap start I would suggest. This is for cadians if you like them, I don't know about catachans

-codex. Trust us if you have a question it's probally answered there or on the FAQ

-cadian battleforce. Its got some good stuff in there specifically the leman russ and heavy weapons.

-another box of cadian infantry. To fill out the minimum(I'll try out a "how to" in a moment)

-cadian officers blister.

-chimera

You'll have about 40 infantry, 2 officers, 3 heavy weapon teams(more if you're creative with the leftovers), a chimera transport, and a Leman Russ

[hr]

Here's how you can put them together for a small legal list.

1) Infantry platoon. You'll need 2 infantry squads and a command squad.
-command squad: take an officer and 4 standard infantry
-squad 1: build a sergeant, 7 standard men, and throw one of your heavy weapon teams in. (10 men)
-squad 2: same as above

Note: you can upgrade one man in each squad to have a special weapon, and any or all in the command squad

2)Armored fist squad
-same as the squads above. If you want you can drop the heavy weapon out of this squad for 2 extra standard guardsmen and put the heavy weapon in the platoon command squad.

3)HQ command squad
-take you remaining officer, and 4 men. same as the infantry platoon's command squad. You can use this squad for 2 thing(just a suggestion, use them however you want )

A)Melee: give you officer a power weapon or powerfist, and all your men close combat weapons and pistols, so you can use them to counter-assualt if/when someone gets to you.
B)Support: use you officer for his leadership. The guard is the only armor in 40k that can use the leadership of an officer that is 12" away. It helps reduce the impact of our lower leadership.

4)Leman Russ
- just put it together and you're ready. You don't have to put the sponsons on if you don't want to.

5)You'll have about 12 men left(if my math's right) so you'll have several options
-You can make special weapons squads(6 men, 3 can carry special weapons), heavy weapons squads(if you don't mind some miner converting. 6 men, 3 heavy weapons). You can also make a remnant squad if you want.

This should put you over 500 pts easily. If you have any question I'll be happy to elaborate.

@everyone: If you all can see something I missed please feel free to add it in.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

1. Codex Imperial Guard;
Everyone else already said this but I'm doing a step-by-step thingy

2. Cadian or Catachan Battleforce;
Once you read through the Codex and decided whether you want to have Leman Russ and/or Sentinels, you can choose the Cadian Battleforce (With this you can make an Infantry Platoon Command Squad with 2 Special Weapons and a Heavy Weapon, 2 Infantry Squads with each having 1 special weapon and 1 heavy weapon and a Leman Russ) or the Catachan Battleforce (Also able to make an Infantry Platoon Command Squad with 2 Special Weapons and a Heavy Weapon, 2 Infantry Squads with each having 1 special weapon and 1 heavy weapon and 2 Sentinels). They both give you about 500 points.

Personally, I recommend getting 2 of either Battleforces so it gives you about 1000 points and it fill up the compulsory Organizational Chart Troop Slot with 2 Infantry Platoons plus either 4 Sentinels or 2 Leman Russes or 2 Sentinels and 1 Leman Russ.

3. Personal Recommendations
And also personally, you should have another Infantry Squads in each of your Infantry Platoon by either buying one of the Battleforces or get either some Catachan or Cadian Infantry. Remember if you need to give special weapons and heavy weapons to these squads. Take the leftover parts from the Battleforces if you bought them of course. You may be missing a tripod for the heavy weapon but there are ways to make it or some other way to legally represent them (Either ask us or search through Conversions in the Hobby Board).

4. HQ Command Squad
Now, depending on what type of HQ Command Squad you want, you read the codex and ask us for advice (use the search feature to look for the related topics before asking us) and then finally look through here for all your HQ model needs.

I think Step 1,2, and 4 should do it. Step 3 is just my personal recommendation. Which leads to why I didn't follow my advice. *Sob* I wasted so much money. I should have gotten the 3rd Cadian Battleforce *Cry*
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG

I think Johnyboy's suggestion was perfect. That would seem to be a perfect way to start and frankly you dont have much a choice and you will know why once you start to understand the guard FOC and how the platoons work.

On that note, do read the codex very well and carefully, think of it not as a reference book, but as a real book that you front to back every single word, as even then it will be tough comprehending it. I think my first 10 games with gaurd were played with illeagal list depending on weather I mixed wrong mixes of doctrines, or applied doctrines to units that could not even have them, or didn't even use the platoon system. so watch out for that.

By the way, gaurd are actualy really cool, and some of the best players (the kinda that win GT's and stuff, I even know one personaly) started with guard. It is one of the few armies that really teaches you how to value and use your units, how to set them to tasks that you know they can handle despite the chance factor of the game. It will teach you how to value balance and how to use terrain, not just mob forward or somthing.

Whew...

good luck with your new army.

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
YakmastermaxIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 11:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i got the codex and a basic force now but wat about the ard stuff

i already got
sniper team
command squad
40men
2 leman russ
platoon command with morter
chimera
eavy wep platoon 2auto cannons heavy bolter
basilisk
vanquisher
6 storm troopers
5 ratlings

Old 10 Apr 2008, 12:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution is my name
i got the codex and a basic force now but wat about the ard stuff
what 'ard" stuff? As far as I can tell, judging by the lack of effort most new gamers put into their armies, I'd say painting was the hard stuff. Paint your entire force as you go and you'll be at least 10 tournament points ahead of your peers... ;D

However, if you have the battleforce and the codex, then step one is to read and understand the codex enough to produce an army list that is legal: one HQ unit and 2 troop units. Everything else is then an add on.

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 12:06   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

tanks as ard stuff heavy support etc