Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Underestimated Guardsmen
View Poll Results: Do you feel that Guardsmen are underrated in 40k fluff and stats?
Yes 58 56.31%
No 28 27.18%
Don't care 9 8.74%
Should be worse 8 7.77%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Apr 2008, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Underestimated Guardsmen

I put this in General 40k because if it were in IG board it would be biased.

I appreciate your desire to keep the poll unbiased Clip, but I think the guard guys can handle this. Don't let me down, Guardsmen *nods to commissar*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Underestimated Guardsmen

Imperial Guardsmen are considered to be at least better than the soldiers in our armies today. At Least. In today's military, I'm pretty sure that soldiers can hit a target that may be as big as a bear more than 50 percent of the time. There are many, many more reasons that the Guardsmen is one of the most underrated things of all time, but I'm sure that my fellow Imperial Guard members can explain the rest.
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that soldiers can hit a target that may be as big as a bear more than 50 percent of the time.
Game mechanics =/= fluff relevance.

The Guard, in the literature (Gaunt's Ghosts et al), are portrayed as well-equipped, well-organized, and highly motivated. The common image, however, is "lol suxxors than modern troops trench warfarez!"... not sure how that propagated other than shoddy Codex fluff bits.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 21:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Tithed Guardsmen are going to be made of up top-notch forces, as they're taken from the top of the respective planet's PDF. Regiments that are raised outside of tithes for a nearby campaign could be taken from the PDF again, or other methods could be used, such as conscription or using volunteers.

All in all, Guardsmen are highly motivated, highly trained, experience troops. Novae said it well.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Ignoring how they are shown in game, the Imperial Guard are a trained body comprising billions strong, all the equivalent of British SAS.

Ignore their portrayal in the game, cos they really are the best of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 22:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The guardsman. Yes.

He is portrayed to bring a torch, a nailfile and waterproof pants to make sure he only wets himself.

Underrated. Definitively.

The "flashlight" is stronger and better than any modern infantry gun. It is probably lighter. Has a lot higher ROF and greater range. It has no spread. That is thousand times better than modern guns.
The "nailfile" is probably sharpened. It will probably be insane against bare flesh.
The waterproof pants are a joke. You would be scared shitless if you faced a tyranid face to face. So would they. But they are diciplined enough to blast a volley at them to survive and wont cower into a corner. They will probably even comitt suicide while blowing 4-5 up with a grenade as a last ditch effort. They are probably a lot more cunning than a space marine. Lets face it. They are equipeed with a bit stronger kevlar. That is nothing against bolterfire. They will have to use wits to crack a marines scull. They know this.

All in all. They are the most underrated soldiers in the entire game.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 23:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Glad to see the Guard supported. A Guardsmen is an excelent soldier in his own right. I just believe that everything else is just better in the galaxy, so it gets skewed. People just say, "Oh, dey suck as dey aren't as good as my SPACE MAWINE! lol!" Well, yeah, they're not supposed to be any better, Space "Mawines" are supposed to be a one up on a human, which they are. The Astartes were created to fill the gap of humanity's weakness compared to the other races (well, actually it was to beat other humans, but it became what I said later).

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 23:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG

for sure underated, the level of disipline, training and patriotism required for guardsmen to face thigns like orcs adn tyranids is tremendous, even then, their weapons are far supperior to ours today, and in reality, a laser shot would have more battlefield use than a solid round anyday.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
YakmastermaxIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 00:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, I agree with pretty much what everyone said. They're the best of the best from their respective worlds.

Hm, with that said, then the Grenadiers/Stormtroopers/Karskin must be the best, of the best, of the best.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 00:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I think everyone has said it already, pretty much.

It's not that they "suck" exactly, they're the best of the best, better trained and better equipped when compared to our own modern day troops, but when everyone else in the galaxy is better than you it's sort of moot.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote