Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to represent Soviet Troops?
Old 04 Apr 2008, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default How to represent Soviet Troops?

Hi, after having a sudden surge of Call of Duty 2 obsession I thought I should start a soviet themed army from the games regiment, The 13th Guards Rifles Soviet Regiment, I already have the doctrines but does anybody have any Idea on how to make them, they look just like valhallans but I cant find valhallans anywhere and when I do they are very exspensive, so....does anybody have any suggestions on alternative models, I was thinking of buying the Kolony Militia models, cutting of their heads and then add soviet looking head and fur hats but I cant think of a way to get the heads unless I hire a guy at my store to green stuff them as I suck at that kind of stuff, please give all the ideas you have, thanks in advance
Old 04 Apr 2008, 02:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How to represent Soviet Troops?

Hmm, good theme!

As for models, I would say to either search ebay for valhallens on the cheap, or commision someone from your local store to greenstuff you some models. I don't think either catachans or cadians would work, even if converted...

Old 04 Apr 2008, 02:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Games workshop produced these three ranges called Valhallens, Tallarn and Vostroyans. Try out one of those three.

Yes Tallarn are not as close as the other two but with the right paint job they make good rebel Russian forces
Old 04 Apr 2008, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

It really depends on what kind of Soviet troops you want to represent. Valhallans work well for WW2 era russians, and Cadians work well for the later Soviet troops. Vostroyans won't work at all, unless you want a Cossack army or an army that's from the Wizard of Oz.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
It really depends on what kind of Soviet troops you want to represent. Valhallans work well for WW2 era russians, and Cadians work well for the later Soviet troops. Vostroyans won't work at all, unless you want a Cossack army or an army that's from the Wizard of Oz.
How annoying would it be to have an opponent hum "We're off to see the wizard" when putting their army on the table.

Either way, if the rumours of the plastic 'coated' guardsmen are true or to be believed, that might be the best bet (if you can wait that long).

Other than that, eBay, as the Scottish Gecko said might be your best bet for some Valhallens.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 12:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I want world war 2 theme as they are based of a regiment during the war in call of duty 2, they look just like valhallans except there coats and hats are usually brown or some times tan.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 12:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
I want world war 2 theme as they are based of a regiment during the war in call of duty 2, they look just like valhallans except there coats and hats are usually brown or some times tan.
Then I'd suggest you wait to see if the trenchcoat plastic figure range that is rumored will actually be produced soon. If so, and if they have the DKoK helmets, you could (atleast Im thinking hard about this approach) shave the helmet down to look like a backwards GI steal pot (which is what their helmets looked like). I've tried it with the cadian helmet, but there is too much chinstrap and ear muff to make it look good and consistent.

Just a thought to consider.
Fishpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks guys, I might hold tight, maybe a month or 2 untill 5th edition comes out to see the great coat box and if it dosent then I guess I will just have to get valhallans off of ebay.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 15:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Voystroyans would look perfect for a Russian Revolution style army.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2008, 17:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

No way. I'd use Valhallans for that as well, as many of the communists were in the army.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote