Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Codex: Imperial Guard 5th Edition - What you expect and what do you fear?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2008, 06:44   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Codex: Imperial Guard 5th Edition - What you expect and what do you fear?

I know 5th Edition of the Imperial Guard Codex is still far away but looking at the rumors for the Space marine Codex;

I expect:
1. GW to get rid of the armory and put the options on the units themselve
2. Add 5 points to either Junior Officers points or the Honorifica Imperialis

I fear:
1. GW gonna revamp the Infantry Platoon

I want:
1. Revamp of some of the useless doctrines like carapace and xeno-fighter

EDIT: Making this topic since the IG board is a bit dry at the moment
Old 01 Apr 2008, 10:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Codex: Imperial Guard 5th Edition - What you expect and what do you fear?

I can see the Honorifica leaving entirely, becoming a purely Fluff-based thing.

However, Veterans may well get the ability to have a Colonel [HSO] leading them again, which is probably why GW made the Honorifica in the first place.

Doctrines will go.

Weapon costs may change a little bit, but not a lot.

Shotguns = Str 4.

Some sort of tweak to how Advisors work; making them a Squad Option, rather than a seperate entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Apr 2008, 10:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Codex: Imperial Guard 5th Edition - What you expect and what do you fear?

I fear-
Probably make Baneblades allowed in all armies. :'(

I want-
Better Ratlings

I expect-
A new way of platoons working for all the people who can't count to 5.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Old 01 Apr 2008, 10:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

They won't make Baneblades a codex option. Simple reason being that there's already two sets of rules for it - IA and Apoc. Neither are easily compatible with a standard game of 40k for someone who isn't familiar with superheavies. Unless they put superheavy rules in the 5th Ed book, we won't be seeing Baneblades in the Guard 'dex. And if they do put superheavy rules in the 5th Ed book, I'd expect instead to see a book a bit like IA Apocalypse compiling several races superheavies along with rules for fielding them (something like "Takes up two/three Heavy Support/Fast Attack choices") rather than having them in the Codexes.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 10:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, but this is GW, I wouldn't honestly be surprised if they let people have a command squad and two squads (because people don't understand the platoon rules), them 3 Baneblades, and call it an 'Armoured company'.

Sometimes I think Gav Thorpe should write the Force Org charts.

Old 01 Apr 2008, 11:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG

i want advisors rule worked on so you dont have to spend 200 pts to get a commisar in a normal squad..

i want the term "guard infantry" to be gotten rid of and allowed it so taht any guard unit can get the bonus of a doctrine and special equipment.

hardened fighters doctirn should be 20 pts per squad but be plus 1 initiative and weapon skill.

i fear they will nerf doctrines and platoon rules, which is entirly unessasary because yeah its complicated but that keeps simple minded 2 dimensional players from playing guard.

ratlings need improvements, shot guns should be range 15 str 4, but should be a 1 pt upgrade for units that can take them : vets, stormtroops.

sentinel needs better survivabilty.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
Old 01 Apr 2008, 12:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakmastermaxIG
i want advisors rule worked on so you dont have to spend 200 pts to get a commisar in a normal squad..
Which is what I hinted at above... sort of a "Any Officer unit may include any of the following:" thing. Fluffwise, Commissars stick with Officers.

Quote:
i want the term "guard infantry" to be gotten rid of and allowed it so taht any guard unit can get the bonus of a doctrine and special equipment.
So, you want Stormtroopers to be able to purchase Drop Troops (to Deep Strike for free) and Carapace Armour?

Quote:
hardened fighters doctirn should be 20 pts per squad but be plus 1 initiative and weapon skill.
Go back to Space Marines.

Quote:
i fear they will nerf doctrines and platoon rules, which is entirly unessasary because yeah its complicated but that keeps simple minded 2 dimensional players from playing guard.
The platoon system survived the transition from 3 to 4, it will survive the transition from 4 to 5.

Quote:
ratlings need improvements, shot guns should be range 15 str 4, but should be a 1 pt upgrade for units that can take them : vets, stormtroops.
Why the hell would Shotguns be 15" range?

Quote:
You could not be any more wrong if you started saying Orks should be Initiative 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Apr 2008, 12:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
i want advisors rule worked on so you dont have to spend 200 pts to get a commisar in a normal squad.
Commissars shouldn't be allowed on their own anyway, especially since they can't execute ordinary guardsmen, it means you negate the only real bad thing about them.

Quote:
Deep Striking Rough Riders? Ratlings with Carapace? Ogryns with Sharpshooters?

Quote:
That's paying Space Marine prices for a squad of Space Marines who die as easily as guardsmen.

Quote:
I worried about this too, but hopefully it will stay.

Quote:
ratlings need improvements,
I agree, there's just no point taking them at the moment.

Quote:
shot guns should be range 15 str 4, but should be a 1 pt upgrade for units that can take them : vets, stormtroops.
All of 40k works on multiples of 6", 15" is just random. The Shotguns are almost guaranteed to be the same as they are now but with Str 4.

Quote:
It isn't intended to survive.

Old 01 Apr 2008, 12:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
Quote:
Deep Striking Rough Riders?
That'd certainly make me want to play Guard.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 12:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I fear more confusion than the doctrine system, but more limited to armies the way the old eldar codex forced differences on races--Valhallans can this and that but not those, for example.

I fear less options.

I want more vehicle choices. I want salamanders, Brunhildes, tank destroyers, jeeps, halftracks, and other "panzer grenadier" sort of mobility. I also want to stubber to become the IG's heavy bolter-like option (no reason other than liking the model).

I expect more generics ala the codex trending.
Closed Thread