Priest
View Poll Results: What do priest do
help with priest 2 66.67%
What do i do with them 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Priest

I never got the chance to play my old imp guard, but I was wondering what exactly does a priest do?

Fixed spelling and grammar - JD
j money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:49   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Priest

The way I see them. They're made for close combat. I guess you slap them with your Command Squad if you're going to make them a dedicated close combat unit. Of course that being said, give the priest THE EVISCERATOR!

But getting a Commissar and getting him a Power weapon or even a Power Fist is a better alternative.

My $0.02
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I will somtimes throw him in a cheap HQ as a cheap counter assualt unit to deal with my opponets assualt units, that is if they make it to my gunline :P, I rarely take him though unless I am playing my daemonhunters because guard are not met for close combat, simple as that, no matter how awesome you make them they will fall like flies to your opponets dedicated assault units, thats why inquisiniotal priest have acess to the evicerator and either power armor or artificer armor, then they became good enought to go toe to toe with other assault units so what I am saying is, they arent to useful unless your playing inquisition.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I actually was wondering this myself. I said, "Hm, Priests give me... CC." Pause. "Uh, did I miss something about IG? Cos, uh... not too helpful."

If you could attach them to a squad of R&H Ogryns, you'd have a pretty hard-hitting unit - that's those ones that have no ranged weapons and are on 'Slaught. They are basically like Ogres - they hit soooo hard.

But otherwise, I wonder how often they are taken. Righteous Fury means their unit is treated as always moving and hence can't fire Heavy Weapons (!!!!) and requires the unit to Charge if humanly possible (!!!!!). Sounds like a TERRIBLE idea.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 19:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

J Money,

Please clean up your punctuation, spelling and grammar the next time you post. Also, read the forum rules over.

Thanks.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 06:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wotcha do is take a unit of Vetereans /w storm bolters. Put a commisar with a 'fist and the Medalion Crimson in there. Stick a priest /w an eviscerator in there. Throw it up against a term squad.

Oppponent doesn't have terms? Suck it. You just wasted 200pts on close combat for no purpose.

You just wasted 1 karma for nothing. Smitten for a blatantly useless post. - JD
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 11:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

My friend plays IG and wouldnt dream of using priests - I mean, I think you could stick them with special weapons teams that allow you to shoot and move, but special weapons teams dont have much to do in cc anyways. They prefer shooting their... special weapons...

Stick a priest with nice gear onto a load of constripts for ablative wounds for the priest? Fluffy? Yes. Possible? Dunno, I dont have the dex.

Oh, and it may be me, but I cant make any sense out of the poll...?
Old 03 Apr 2008, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esque
My friend plays IG and wouldnt dream of using priests - I mean, I think you could stick them with special weapons teams that allow you to shoot and move, but special weapons teams dont have much to do in cc anyways. They prefer shooting their... special weapons...

Stick a priest with nice gear onto a load of constripts for ablative wounds for the priest? Fluffy? Yes. Possible? Dunno, I dont have the dex.

Oh, and it may be me, but I cant make any sense out of the poll...?
You're not alone - I don't know what the hell it means either. :P

And sadly, the Priest+Conscript combo is illegal - there was a lengthy topic about how much that sucked about a year ago. What would be handy is an "Independant Priests" doctrine, like what IG have for Commissars, where you can make units out of small numbers of Priests, and a they count as ICs, so can join any unit. Fluffy, and allows Priests to join Conscripts. Hooray! Something to hope for in 5th ed, at least, but I dunno if it'll actually happen.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 20:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was up late and Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was on. I realised then that Scorpius was an IG Commissar. Aside from the obvious fluffiness of the matter, he actually shoots an officer in the head when his Peacekeeper retinue failed their morale check. It was identical to the rule "Summary Execution" - they acted as though they had actually passed the check... ;D
Old 08 Apr 2008, 14:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Priests are 40 Points and their wargear is incredibly expensive. Commissars are the same price with better stats and cheaper wargear. And you can't have heavy weapons in the unit since priests make their unit fanatical. Oh yeah, and they don't get an armor save...

Don't waste your points on a priest. Take a special weapons squad with meltaguns instead.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote