The Hammer and The Anvil Theory
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:41   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default The Hammer and The Anvil Theory

The Hammer and The Anvil
The Anvil units
The Anvil compromises of units that are big enough threat to attract your opponent’s attention away from The Hammer. For the Imperial Guard, that means mass firepower, fielding high numbers of Guardsmen and look threatening. Doing enough damage to justify The Anvil being the greater danger to your opponent. Also The Anvil units have to be static to maximize their effectiveness. They're used to hold down your opponent's units until the Hammer comes into position and strike at your opponent's vital and vulnerable weakness/unit thus crushing your opponent.

(Credit to Wargamer for lecturing me to death on this :P)

Fire Support Squad, Anti-Tank Support Squad and Mortar Support Squad
These are best static so they’re best used as Anvil units. Moving them would be a waste. So, put them in some cover and about far enough so most of the main weapons like the bolter, pulse rifle, lasgun etc won’t be able to reach them but near enough for the Heavy Weapon Support Squad to fire.

Ratlings
With low Toughness and a +1 to cover save as well as armed with a sniper rifle, you will have to put them in cover and among with other Anvil units. Hitting anything regardless of Toughness on a 4+ roll, it would be like a thorn to the side for your opponent. And if the 5th edition rumors are true, sniper rifles will get rending. Are to be used along with a better solid firebase unit like the Infantry Platoon, Leman Russ etc.

Infantry Platoon
They’re the backbone of the Imperial Guard. Use their numbers and range of weaponry to distract your opponent while the the Hammer units flank them and hit them hard. Also with their 5+ Armor Save, you have to put them in cover. Unless you equip them with Carapace Armor. They should stay in cover, armed to the teeth with as many weapons as you can give them and shoot everything within range.

Guardsmen are not scary. Guardsmen with heavy weapons are still not scary, because they are quite weak. Guardsmen in 4+ Cover, who outnumber you 10:1, are very scary indeed.

Trench Lines
Trench Lines are the a-typical Guard Anvil. The basic premise is to dig in to whatever Cover you can find, point as many Heavy Weapons as is physically possible at the enemy, and don't move. Guardsmen may not be tough, but put enough of them in a defendable position and they can hold out a surprisingly long time. With proper Kill-Zones set up, weapons covering fire corridors and careful attention paid to potential cover for attackers, the Trench Line can be a difficult and dangerous thing to break. Officers, properly equipped and supported by Advisors, can play a valuable role in counter-assault, rushing in to dispatch enemy assault forces and maintaining the position whilst your "Hammer" does its job.

(Credit also given to Wargamer on this)

Conscript Infantry Platoon
With their low WS mean you have to put at least 30 Conscripts in the platoon. Just give them Flamers and charge the other meat shields to get rid of them and also most probably your opponent will them his first priority and you could use the time to manoeuvre your Hammer units. Since they can't hit for shits, the flamer will overcome that. Also if the 5th Edition rumors are true, they can be great meat shields by blocking your opponent's line of sight. They’re just cheap troops to be taken. But also remember, the high number of bodies on the tabletop might scared the Shtlk out of your opponent even though they’re only Conscripts or even look down on them. Use that to your advantage. Also, an Independent Commissars among them is also a good way to make them stay the course and make them fight like real guardsmen especially when you're charging under a hail of fire and ice to DEATH OR GLORY. Not to be used as a firebase.

(Credit to Rambo, Fishpaste, Jordan and Wargamer on this )

Hellhounds
The humble Chimera Chassis armed with an Inferno Cannon. This is best used against GEQ armies. And also with the range of 24”, dig it in with your Infantry Squads. Thus covering and holes in your defenses and dishing out THE FLAME OF DEATH.

Heavy Weapons Platoon
See Fire Support Squad, Anti-Tank Support Squad and Mortar Support Squad

Leman Russ Battle Tank
This is the main battle tank of the Imperial Guard. Armed with a Battle cannon, they should be with the other Anvil units as well as they have the range and better suited to sit and shoot. They should also be used to cover any holes in your defense as well as use cover to hide their side and rear armor.

It's a big, tough tank with a big, deadly gun. The Leman Russ is an iconic weapon of death and mayhem, and just about the only thing that can inflict more pain than a Leman Russ is the Demolisher variant.

Leman Russ Battletanks, and their variants, are typically employed as Anvils. With their high armour, and god-like firepower, the Leman Russ can hold the line come hell or high water.

(And the credit award goes to.....Wargamer!)

Leman Russ Demolisher
Armed with the Demolisher Cannon, you can make anyone with assault units, Terminators and anything expensive cry as you spit out Strength 10, Armor Penetration 2 and Ordnance 1/Blast. But it is relatively expensive so putting on sponsons if you got some extra points. Like the other armored vehicles, put them among your Infantry Platoon, cover any exposed area and block line of sight.

(Credit to Pocketgrim on this. Thanks for reminding me :P)

Basilisk
Give them Indirect Fire and hide behind cover. And fire at anything with the range limit. With Indirect Fire, use your other units to kill anything that comes within 36” and protect the Basilisk from any attempts to take it out.

The Hammer units
While The Anvil is distracting your opponent while also absorbing whatever punishment your opponent is unleashing and holding/pinning your opponent's army, the Hammer units are suppose to get around to your opponent’s side or rear and deal the major blow by destroying any important and high value targets like officers of the Imperial Guard, Broadsides and other Railgun carrying units of the Tau etc. Also the hammer units are to coordinate with the Hammer unit to crush your opponent in-between.

(More credit goes to Wargamer on this )

Special Weapons Squad
Their weapons are most either short range or at the most 24” but they can fire on the move. Give them Meltaguns and Demolition Charge if you’re using them for tank-hunting or Flamers for those horde armies with 5+ armor save. While your opponent is distracted by your Anvil units, flank your opponent’s position.

Sentinel Support Squad
See Sentinel Squadron

Hardened Veterans
A better alternative to Storm Troopers especially when you decide to deep strike them and armed with one more special weapon and a heavy weapon but without the 4+ armor save. Also can be used as a suicide squad, armed them with meltaguns or flamers and the veteran sergeant with power weapons and melta bomb.

Storm Troopers
They already have a 4+ armor save so there’s no need to hide them in cover. They can’t have heavy weapons but they get 2 special weapons instead. You either give them a chimera or Infiltrate/Deep Strike ability or even foot slogging it to move them to your opponent’s flank. Unleash whatever you armed them and expect your opponent to kill them all. I recommend using Meltagun for tank-hunting and MEQ and Flamers for GEQ units.

Armor Fist Squad
Just like an Infantry Squad but with a Chimera Transport. For them, don’t use heavy weapons. Just go in, hit anything within range and get out. Also you can use the Chimera as cover to block your opponent’s line of sight thus keeping your troops safe and if it is destroy, can be used by other units as cover. But the thing is about Armor Fist Squad that it takes up a Troop Slot and that could be used instead for another Infantry Platoon compromising of 50 Guardsmen instead of 10 Guardsmen and a Chimera.

Rough Riders
With Fleet of Hoof, they can go cover to cover thus both heading to the target quickly and able to reach far-in-between terrains. Whether you choose them to equip them with Hunting Lances or just any other special weapon (But personally, I give them Meltaguns), your opponent will regret ignoring the Rough Riders. But it might get too much attention if you have 20 of them. The weapon of choice for the Rough Riders depends on how you’re going to use them. Lasguns: you might as well use the points for another Infantry Squad. Shotguns: You want to get up close but not close enough for CC. Lasgun and CCW: For that extra attack you need when you want to CC.

Sentinel Squadron
A Sentinel Squadron can be used for a variety of jobs like example, tank hunting. But its strength lies within its ability to deep strike and also makes a free move before the first turn meaning you know the layout of your opponent’s position and are able to move quickly to your objective accordingly. But with their low armor and relatively high cost, armed them with either multi-lasers or autocannons.

The Hammer Doctrine

Drop Troops
This reverse Infantry Platoon from Anvil unit to Hammer unit. With the ability to Deep Strike (if you're allow to), you can position your Infantry Platoon among the your opponent's units and wreck havoc in, around and up. Armed them with Meltaguns and/or Flamers and savor the screams of 'cheese' from your opponent. Also you might want to upgrade your sergeants to veteran and give them melta bombs etc, to add a little more destruction.

Grenadiers
See Storm Troopers but you can't deep strike/infiltrate them. But you still can put them in a Chimera if you think they're too slow on foot.

Mechanized
See Armor Fist Squad but instead of just 10 guardsmen with a chimera taking up one troop slot, you'll have a command squad, 20 guardsmen and 3 chimeras and potentially even more guardsmen and chimeras.

Light Infantry
Has the infiltrating ability and should move faster through terrain faster, they should be used by Guard Infantry that’s being used as the Hammer. Sniper Rifles are not to be taken as there’s too little of them to do much damage. Just take the normal heavy weapons.

The Anvil Doctrine

Iron Discipline
To have your Anvil cracked under pressure is going to put a real bug dent in your attempts to use the Anvil units crush your opponent by weight of numbers and mass firepower or using your Hammer unit to strike at your opponent’s vital units especially when your Hammer units are not in position yet to do it. This doctrine can keep the Hammer units stay on the table and not run like pussies. When using this doctrine, keep the officers with this doctrine out of sight and in heavy cover.

Independent Commissars
It is advisable to only use them with units with low leadership and can’t be given Commissars like Conscript Infantry Platoon. Also being relatively expensive, try to give them as little gear as possible. They’re suppose to do a suicide charge with the Conscript Infantry Platoon to kill off your opponent’s meat shield and/or slow down any other units that you think might be a danger to your plans.

Close Order Drill
Cost nothing and can be useful when being charged at by assault units. Take them if you have one doctrine point free and feel like its useful. Should be use by Infantry Platoon acting as the Anvil as Anvil units are supposed to hold your enemy down and take whatever punishment your opponent and his assault unit throws at you.

Sharpshooters
A great doctrine to get if you think 5 out of 10 shots hitting isn’t enough. It, by calculation should take it up to 5.83 hits out of 10 shots. To be use by Anvil units so it can spit out more hits and wounds to annoy your opponent enough to make him pay attention to those units.

Note: The mathhammer on this is not to be taken seriously. This is a pre-liminary calculation. And if you really want to make it right, I suggest you do the real statistics and get back to me on this. I can do it but I'm already brain-hurting from math this week.

(Credit to Brownknight for the mathhammer)

Veterans
See Hardened Veterans.

Chem-Inhalers
Way better alternative than Iron Discipline and Die-Hards put together although it cost more. They make your Anvil units sit there and take whatever Shtlk your opponent is throwing. The problem is how to justify the use of it in your fluff of your regiment.

Cameleoline
Giving +1 to cover save and isn’t in effect out in the open. This will give your opponent more problems when it comes to rolling for wounding and should raise your unit’s survivability.

(Credit to Brownknight also for correcting my english)

ANYTHING ELSE?! :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Hammer and The Anvil Theory

Great Tactica Zen. I hope you get karma for it.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

You left out a pretty key unit for your Hammer section. The Demolisher. Nothing says GTFO more then a Demolisher cannon pouring shells into the oh so precious Assault monsters/Terminators/anything expensive.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like it, although I strongly disagree on giving conscripts grenade launchers and heavy bolters, waste of points on a BS2 model, thats why you should take flamers and send them out against their other meat shield units which they will probally brake threw with all those flamers which dont use BS, then you could just annoy there other units.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hammer and anvil... Use a Macedonian Phalanx and some good Companion cavalry, ride around the flanks and push your enemy into your pikes

Very good tactica Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
I like it, although I strongly disagree on giving conscripts grenade launchers and heavy bolters, waste of points on a BS2 model, thats why you should take flamers and send them out against their other meat shield units which they will probally brake threw with all those flamers which dont use BS, then you could just annoy there other units.
This is how I work them. Slap an indepentant Commisar on them and now they stand and take it like men.

On the OP theory, the main problem with IG is that you have to go one direction or the other. You can't really build a balanced IG and hope to win at tournaments. Either you are all anvil shooty, or you are all shock and assaulty hammer. The problem is of course that even if your hammer is Leman Russ tanks, hellhounds, drop troops with assault weapons, storm troopers, and hardened veterans, you still have to get past the S3 and T3 CC disadvantage. Your greatest CC threat, an officer with a powerfist, is still I1 and S6 which doesn't even double the T of a regular SM.

This is the reality and why so many IG players end up with the SIGAFH. Even with great care and planning, the IG at best can bring a tac hammer to a table loaded with potential jackhammers from every other race.

Now, having said that, take another look at Schaefer and drop troop doctrine for some hammer fun. Inconsistant yes, but lord how you can clear sectors of anything when it works. This is a hammer that has potential to ruine anyone's day
Fishpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:44   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketgrim
You left out a pretty key unit for your Hammer section. The Demolisher. Nothing says GTFO more then a Demolisher cannon pouring shells into the oh so precious Assault monsters/Terminators/anything expensive.
OH Shtlk! Forgotten the Demolisher! Very very very important! OK, I'll write it up.

Quote:
Good point. Thanks for the giving a pointer on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpaste
Quote:
This is how I work them. Slap an indepentant Commisar on them and now they stand and take it like men.

On the OP theory, the main problem with IG is that you have to go one direction or the other. You can't really build a balanced IG and hope to win at tournaments. Either you are all anvil shooty, or you are all shock and assaulty hammer. The problem is of course that even if your hammer is Leman Russ tanks, hellhounds, drop troops with assault weapons, storm troopers, and hardened veterans, you still have to get past the S3 and T3 CC disadvantage. Your greatest CC threat, an officer with a powerfist, is still I1 and S6 which doesn't even double the T of a regular SM.

This is the reality and why so many IG players end up with the SIGAFH. Even with great care and planning, the IG at best can bring a tac hammer to a table loaded with potential jackhammers from every other race.

Now, having said that, take another look at Schaefer and drop troop doctrine for some hammer fun. Inconsistant yes, but lord how you can clear sectors of anything when it works. This is a hammer that has potential to ruine anyone's day
That's why is call The Hammer and The Anvil. You can either use both or just one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
Hammer and anvil... Use a Macedonian Phalanx and some good Companion cavalry, ride around the flanks and push your enemy into your pikes

Very good tactica Zenai
Exactly! Alexander the Great is an inspiration to us all.

Thanks everyone. Like I said, more to come. I'll do one for Mechanized, Grenadiers and Drop Troops.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 19:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Great guide! At this rate, you will finish the tacticas you suggested I do, before I get a chance to start them. :-[ Oh well. I had a couple of critiques though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Sharpshooters
A great doctrine to get if you think 5 out of 10 shots hitting isn’t enough. It, by calculation should take it up to 7.5 hits out of 10 shots. To be use by Anvil units so it can spit out more hits and wounds to annoy your opponent enough to make him pay attention to those units.
My mathammer skills dispute this, after all:

10 shots = 5 hits/ 5 misses
5 misses = 5, 1/3 chances of rolling a '1' (1 and 2/3 total chance on average)
1/2 of '1's hit (1/2 of 1 and 2/3 = .5 * 1.66 = .83)
5 Hits + .83 Hits = 5.83 hits on average

all that is assuming that no model rolls 2 or more '1's as each model may only re-roll 1 die each shooting phase, so therefore rapid fire range has even lower returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Cameleoline
Giving +1 to cover save and isn’t in effect out in the open. It should be used by Hammer units in cover and should give your hammer unit the armor saves of a Space Marine out in the open. This will give your opponent more problems when it comes to rolling for wounding and should raise your unit’s survivability.
This confused me. "Isn't in effect out in the open" but "give your hammer unit the armor saves of a Space Marine out in the open" ? It sounds like you are contradicting yourself here.

All in all a great guide. Keep it up!
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Ya, just do it out for need for karma and boredom.

And OK, thanks for contributing about the sharpshooters. Should have read the ting more properly.

My english are is not good bad
Old 21 Mar 2008, 20:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dont even pull that mathhammer Shtlk brownknight, sharp shooters could be highly fluff and I have seen it save a few guard players do to horrible rolling, if your not sure which doctrine to choose, try sharp shooters and put it into your fluff, its kinda a doctrine that you would never leave home without if you have the chance to put it into your fluff.