Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Armies
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Mech Armies

Can someone explain to me the Mech army lists. Am i correct you can have a whole army made up of just tanks ?
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Mech Armies

Mechanized, or armoured company? Two really different things.

For armoured company, yes, you can have just tanks. Search the GW website for rules and army list. You need your opponents permission, though.

Mechanized: No. You need infantry.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, yes and no.

There are three ways to run "Mechanized" army lists. They each have advantages and disadvantages, so I'll discuss them each briefly.

1. The "Mechanized" doctrine in the codex simply forces you to take Chimeras for all of your infantry. You end up with an infantry-based, mechanized force, and since it is codex legal it might be best for you. However, because of the nature of it, you're going to end up sinking massive amounts of points into Chimera transports, which have a hard time of making back their points normally. A good route for this is to go with the Grenadiers doctrine, to minimize the number of Chimeras you must buy. You have to take some infantry here, but that isn't a bad thing, since you can use them to claim objectives.

2. The second option is to use the Armoured Company (AC) codex, which is made freely available online by Games Workshop. This list focuses mostly on Tanks, and although it does have special tanks that are not available to you normally, you don't get the full range of Forge World style monsters. Infantry is going to have to be in your Fast Attack or Elite slots, so its best if you try to stay away from Infantry if you take this list. You do get to take various doctrines with the AC list, if you choose. As a side note, it is not tournament legal in most cases, so if you're a big tournament player you'll want to avoid the AC list. It can be downloaded by following this link. This will allow you to take a 100% tank force.

3. The third option is to use the Armoured Battlegroup list found in Forge World's Imperial Armour: Volume 1. This book can be found by scrolling near the bottom of this page from Forge World's website. The AB list gives you many more options in terms of tanks, which is great if you are a fan of Forge World's work and have the cash to spend on the special tanks. Even so, you can make a force easily out of some converting and standard Games Workshop Leman Russ kits. The AB list also includes infantry as a troops choice, which easily allows you to include a moderate amount of infantry in Chimeras if you choose. As an added bonus, it includes flyers in the normal list. This is not tournament legal either, though, so if you are a big tournament player it may not be the best choice. It allows you to take a 100% tank force.

Don't be thrown off by Imperial Armor's massive price tag- even though it can cost $100 USD, it is a very good book, full of great photos and diagrams for many, many vehicles. If you are into tanks it is a great purchase, and it also includes Forge World's original flyer rules, along with the original Baneblade and Super-Heavy rules. Overall it is an excellent book, and well worth the cost.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help with the writing of army lists, if you need it (PM me if you would like the critique and help, as I don't check the Army Lists board often).
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Well, yes and no.

There are three ways to run "Mechanized" army lists. They each have advantages and disadvantages, so I'll discuss them each briefly.

1. The "Mechanized" doctrine in the codex simply forces you to take Chimeras for all of your infantry. You end up with an infantry-based, mechanized force, and since it is codex legal it might be best for you. However, because of the nature of it, you're going to end up sinking massive amounts of points into Chimera transports, which have a hard time of making back their points normally. A good route for this is to go with the Grenadiers doctrine, to minimize the number of Chimeras you must buy. You have to take some infantry here, but that isn't a bad thing, since you can use them to claim objectives.

2. The second option is to use the Armoured Company (AC) codex, which is made freely available online by Games Workshop. This list focuses mostly on Tanks, and although it does have special tanks that are not available to you normally, you don't get the full range of Forge World style monsters. Infantry is going to have to be in your Fast Attack or Elite slots, so its best if you try to stay away from Infantry if you take this list. You do get to take various doctrines with the AC list, if you choose. As a side note, it is not tournament legal in most cases, so if you're a big tournament player you'll want to avoid the AC list. It can be downloaded by following this link. This will allow you to take a 100% tank force.

3. The third option is to use the Armoured Battlegroup list found in Forge World's Imperial Armour: Volume 1. This book can be found by scrolling near the bottom of this page from Forge World's website. The AB list gives you many more options in terms of tanks, which is great if you are a fan of Forge World's work and have the cash to spend on the special tanks. Even so, you can make a force easily out of some converting and standard Games Workshop Leman Russ kits. The AB list also includes infantry as a troops choice, which easily allows you to include a moderate amount of infantry in Chimeras if you choose. As an added bonus, it includes flyers in the normal list. This is not tournament legal either, though, so if you are a big tournament player it may not be the best choice. It allows you to take a 100% tank force.

Don't be thrown off by Imperial Armor's massive price tag- even though it can cost $100 USD, it is a very good book, full of great photos and diagrams for many, many vehicles. If you are into tanks it is a great purchase, and it also includes Forge World's original flyer rules, along with the original Baneblade and Super-Heavy rules. Overall it is an excellent book, and well worth the cost.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help with the writing of army lists, if you need it (PM me if you would like the critique and help, as I don't check the Army Lists board often).
Over 100$ worth you said? I might have a copy available for sale...nudge nudge.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Might be spam but: DIBS!

Basically:

Mechanized doctrine: 100% legal. Might cost you a bit of $ for all those chimeras!
Armoured company: Free rules. Not 100% legal. Restricted selection of units.
Armoured Batallion: Expensive rules. Not 100% legal. large choice of units. Expensive units with long ship times.'

That about sums it up.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Forge World isn't that bad normally, and they are quite fast in the UK from what I hear. Just that they've hit a rough spot lately.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fast in the UK, yeah. THEY are in the UK! Haha. But for us poor sods in North America, it can take ages!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh my god... I've always called my AB list the AC list... ugh... :

Anyways: The AB list also includes special units like artillery spotters, flyers, and the almighty Artillery Support (not exact name). The artillery support is like the Inquisition's Orbital Strike, just made for Guard and the shot can be placed ANYWHERE, not just terrain.

And if the tourney allows IA, then it is legal.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 00:24   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, for every mechanized list,the general rule of the thumb that I often see is;

1)Spam the vehicles - For a Mech Imperial Guard, I believe that it is a liability for one to have a basilisk for it is slow, and thus I would suggest that you spam on the Leman Russ first for heavy support. After that, spam upon the Chimeras, and then if your list allows it, go with the hellhounds. All of the choices that I have said can move and shoot and you need that ability when you go mechanized.

2)Don't bother putting in anything that have an armour value lower than 4+ into a transport - Most of the time,you will be in the transport, but once the transport is busted or you are about to do some close-range shooting, they will later be out in the open and thus almost every anti-infantry weaponry will be brought to bear on them. Grenadiers enables you to have a chance against most of the basic infantry weapon, as most of them have AP5. With the 4+ armour save, you can have a potential to survive through a little more.

3)Use the terrain to protect your D'yi - Every vehicle, even the skimmers will have to rely on terrain to protect them from incoming fire, whether by being Obscured or just blocking line of sight of the anti-tank guns.

4)Choose a focal point of attack - Mech armies tend to be outnumbered by almost everything else, and thus they need to focus all their attack upon a single point and thus breaking the back of the opponent's army.

5)Run when the opposition proves to be too strong - Don't fight battles that you can't win. If faced with superior force, run! You can fight another

and most importantly;

6)Know what your vehicles can do and cannot do, and use everything to your advantage - this is the most vital part of every mechanized army, as each vehicle, Xenos or Imperial have their own quirks.

Imperial Vehicles for example are mostly ninjas as they will have to hide and even sometimes ram into buildings to count as obscured target, thus increasing their survival rate. Half of the time, you can also see Imperial Vehicles cluttering around and becoming one huge wall that blocks line of sight while the troops or whatever it is walking behind the wall. Imperial Vehicles also benefit from the fact that they can have far more deadlier weapons on them, and thus their lack of speed is onset by their more powerful weaponry.

Skimmers on the other hand, are more like arrows, as they need to move quickly across the battlefield to benefit from the 'Skimmers Moving Fast' rule, and thus protect their little engines, and terrain helps even more in their protection. Skimmers however, have to pay the price for being faster by losing out in the firepower game. Skimmers will often have very little weapons ( One main and two secondary as compared to 2 main (I count Ordnance weapons as main weapons as well) and 2 secondary weapons).

That is my 0.02 cents about Mechanized armies in general. If for Armoured Companies (both the FW one and the GW ones), well they are slightly different, but most of the things I said applies to them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 02:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Both GeekyGator and Crisis_Vyper have received +1.

Good posts guys.