Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Could new doctrines be used to introduce new weapons?
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Could new doctrines be used to introduce new weapons?

Such as a one-use LAW type weapon, or even a light automatic weapon, like an LMG? How would that work? Or is this a crazy idea that should stay in my brain, and I should stop reading about german weapons of WW2?
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Could new doctrines be used to introduce new weapons?

The weapons in the Imperial Armory can be used to cover just about every type of weapon there is. A LAW can be represented as a Missile Launcher, and an LMG can be represented as a Heavy Stubber.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Personally, I think that giving IG any more weapons than they already have would be confusing and unecessary, and GW would be unlikely to ever introduce such weapons. If you want a WWII German-themed army, then you don't have to use doctrines - simply model them with weapons that look like what you're talking about, but make them "count as" existing weapons.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

OK I'm going to take a chance and tell everyone about my Las saw that came up with.

SAW pts range str ap other
10 24" 3 6 Heavy 4
No one give any comments on it other than awesomeness ;D, or not so awesomeness :-[, nothing else >!

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would prefer if it was Assault 2, Heavy 3, myself.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:03   #6 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

VerjigormDeExile thought sounds almost right, except I would want it assault 3 / heavy 4.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2008, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heavy 4?! That represents rates of fire that assault cannons and chainguns use. I'd say that the Las SAW would have the exact same stats as a lasgun.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 20 Mar 2008, 18:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd give it either higher strength or AP 6. Call it a longer barreled lasgun, with a heavier power supply. Most squad automatics have a slightly higher muzzle velocity and range than a typical infantry weapon. Hell, perhaps we could just make it S4, AP 5, and call it a heavily modified hellgun(they're lame anyway) type weapon.

I also don't think it should be Heavy 4, because that's a ridiculous amount of shots, imho, for a squad automatic.

My main reasoning for a Squad automatic being assault is that's the role they are used in, providing the ability to move and assault, or working as a base of fire element for the squad.

I wouldn't mind an underbarrel grenade launcher, either. Make it wargear, so only sergeants and officers have acces to it. Make it a weaker varient of the grenade launcher, perhaps S5, AP5, Assault 2. O maybe I should just use a stormbolter for my guard sergeants.

The idea is that a squad with a SAW, Sarge /w Stormbolter/under barrel GL and grenade launcher could actually pump out some potent mobile firepower, which is something guard lack. The SAW could be used to sit back and provide fire support as well, if necessary.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 19:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerjigormDeExile
I'd give it either higher strength or AP 6. Call it a longer barreled lasgun, with a heavier power supply. Most squad automatics have a slightly higher muzzle velocity and range than a typical infantry weapon. Hell, perhaps we could just make it S4, AP 5, and call it a heavily modified hellgun(they're lame anyway) type weapon.
The Heavy Stubber has one more point of strength and is AP6, and that covers just about every sort of heavy autoweapon out there. The Lasgun stats represent everything from a low "stun" setting to high powered shots that can just about blow people in half. S3 contains a huge amount of possible strength settings, and I highly doubt that slightly increased muzzle velocity would constitue a S4 weapon.

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

How hard is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium
No one give any comments on it other than awesomeness ;D, or not so awesomeness :-[, nothing else >!
I've already worked this out will folks stop commenting. Only if you read the last chancer book can you comment on it.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote