Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

We ain't gonna jump no more....
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default We ain't gonna jump no more....

First off, I would like to say that Band of Brothers is the best series ever to air on the telly. With that off my chest, it's time for business.

Here's my Q's:

1: Can the organisational doctrines Grenadiers and Drop troops be used together?

2: What's the best special weapon to be used in drop troop squads? Fluffwise or statwise.

3: What are your thoughts of having Heavy stubbers as a Squad-based weapon?

Tousen Takk* to all who advise.

(*lit. Thousand thanks, Norwegian)
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: We ain't gonna jump no more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorelineviking
First off, I would like to say that Band of Brothers is the best series ever to air on the telly. With that off my chest, it's time for business.
Yes that show is great

Quote:
1: Can the organisational doctrines Grenadiers and Drop troops be used together?
They can be used together but your grenadiers still couldn't deep strike. the drop troops doctrine states that only guard infantry without a transport and sentinals can deep strike. And storm troopers, grenadier or otherwise are not guard infantry.

sorry

Quote:
2: What's the best special weapon to be used in drop troop squads? Fluffwise or statwise.
depends on what you want to do with the squad. that said I think flamers and meltas become a whole lot more effective when deep striking, where the weapons' shorter range is less of an issue

Quote:
3: What are your thoughts of having Heavy stubbers as a Squad-based weapon?
Unless your playing Kieg using IA rules you can't(which using IA rules it's a twin linked heavy stubber btw). I wish you could take one as a special weapon but because you can't I think it's just a weaker heavy bolter.

I think that as a pintle weapon it's alot better then a storm bolter. But as a squad heavy weapon it would be worthless compared to the heavy bolter
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 17:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks! a few things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
They can be used together but your grenadiers still couldn't deep strike. the drop troops doctrine states that only guard infantry without a transport and sentinals can deep strike. And storm troopers, grenadier or otherwise are not guard infantry.
Good point, but that's not what I'm planning on doing. the drop troops is going to be used for a regular platoon of the army that I'm making. Overall, the army is going to be a fluff-oriented army that's like a very small version of the US army in WWII. there'll be 2 full platoons of regular static infantry (US army divisons) to make a large firebase and center. then there'll be a full platoon of drop troops (paratrooper division). lastly, there will be 3 Grenadier squads with meltaguns in Chimeras working alongside Leman Russes (Armoured Divisons). I'm still working out the kinks, but that's my general idea.

Quote:
depends on what you want to do with the squad. that said I think flamers and meltas become a whole lot more effective when deep striking, where the weapons' shorter range is less of an issue
I was thinking somthing around this, but whenever I pictured a trooper jumping into a fight, i saw the Grenade launcher as his weapon beacuse of it's easy portability and easiness to maintain and reload. But, again I wasn't necessarily looking for anything besides character. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Unless your playing Kieg using IA rules you can't(which using IA rules it's a twin linked heavy stubber btw). I wish you could take one as a special weapon but because you can't I think it's just a weaker heavy bolter.

I think that as a pintle weapon it's alot better then a storm bolter. But as a squad heavy weapon it would be worthless compared to the heavy bolter
Yet again, I pictured this a fluffy choice for a droping squad of guardsmen. I know they have special boxes for droping in heavy bolters and the like, but i wanted the feel of the WWII paratroopers, coming in with only what they could carry. i could always count the models as heavy bolter but i just liked the look. Take a look for yourself:

(I recently added a pack for him with gear)
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah that does look cool.

taking a heavy stubber as a heavy bolter would work.

what about missile launchers, I could see them in a airborne army as a man portable anti tank weapon(they look much lighter than a lascannon or autocannon). Out of all the heavy weapons missile launchers seem to me to be the lightest of the heavy weapons.

Missile launchers for anti tank and heavy stubber for anti infantry.
[hr]

on the special weapons note.

I personally love the fluff of the grenade launcher but for 2 points more you can get a plasma or melta gun. I just don't think it's worth it to have an entire army with them. I'll usually use one grenade launcher, but the rest use the other special weapons.

I play a drop trooper army currently and have play a SIGAFH for the past 3-4 years. I have almost never used the frag grenade, mainly because my opponents spread their models as far apart as they can to minimize hits from battlecannons.

I'd take a grenade launcher or 2 but use meltas or flamers in the rest of the squads, except for the command squad(medic and as many plasmaguns as you want).

Just my 2 cents
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
what about missile launchers, I could see them in a airborne army as a man portable anti tank weapon(they look much lighter than a lascannon or autocannon). Out of all the heavy weapons missile launchers seem to me to be the lightest of the heavy weapons.
I'm thinking of mixing 2 stubbers/heavy bolters and 3 missle launchers in the whole platoon. that or the other way around.

As for special weapons, i have plasma guns in my other infantry platoons and all of my grenadier squads are armed with meltaguns. I think i'll go with flamers in the infantry squads and grenade launchers in the command squad, but i'm still working through it.

Here's some more of my Paratroopers:

Thoughts?
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like your tripod stubber thing and I like your overall plan.

But ah...Grenadiers aren't guard infantry? ???
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos

Read the entire topic before posting. THis has already been adressed.

By the way, I love those models! Good conversions all around, and a nice themed army.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Gecko is back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos

Read the entire topic before posting. THis has already been adressed.

By the way, I love those models! Good conversions all around, and a nice themed army.
-_- Yes, I did read what his plan was, but I'm trying to clarify something.
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:

sorry

[/quote]

As I said, it has already been adressed!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Gecko is back!

Quote:

sorry
As I said, it has already been adressed!
[/quote]And as I said, why not!? (or maybe I didn't say that. That's what I meant anyway.)