Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Doctrines for a Che Guevara themed army?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Doctrines for a Che Guevara themed army?

Well, I am done with my catachans as you might now and I have been jumping around on the boards lately trying to find an army I like, I like drop troops and grey knights but here is another army I would consider but I am completely clueless on what doctrines to use, the army is based of of Che Guevara's Guerrilla army or some other type of guerrilla army, prefably a Asian themed one. The following link is on Che Guevara, you could also look up Guerrilla Warfare. I wont use the death world codex despite how the fluff relates, I just want guard doctrines. Thanks in advance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara

The fluff I had in mind though was this, the Planetary Governor of Latium Vazquelez turned to the forces of chaos, about 60% of the world followed the Governor. The other 40% percent heard of these news and immediately went to the place were priest are (don't know how to spell the place). Once they rounded up the priest they silently raided local arms warhouses and fuel depots to have a small form of defence. They then immediately went into hiding in the dense rainforest and mountains. They called imperial forces saying that they needed men down there because of the traitorous Governor and how they couldn't lose the planet as it was a huge mineral producer and made alot of food thanks to the mountains and rainforest. The Imperium immediately sent the Cadian 73rd and half a storm trooper company along with 3 companies of Ultramarines and some Catachans. On there way there they confronted a warpstorm there and lost most of the Cadian 73rd, all of the storm troopers, the catachans, and 150 marines. When they reached the actual planet the confronted the most ferocious anti air defence you could imagine. Very few survived (about 50 marines and 1000 guard). The ones that guard that made planet fall were quickly dispatched by traitor snipers. The marines however relied on stealth and altoghter achieved around 800 casualties before being lead into a huge trap that was filled with snipers, mines, and hidden spiked pits.
The native loyalist were devastated by the news and knew couldn't call more men in because the continuous storm and the fact that there communications post was destroyed from falling debris that came from the destroyed imperial ships. They fought on there own, relying on stealth to win the day. They successfully found more loyalist in hiding and gained tons of supplies and arms, even some tanks and light walkers. The took over the palace in a suprise night raid, using heavy sniper support and the most hardend veteran soldiers (which there was a high proportion because most of them few men have already fought several successful battles). They took it over and the Governors army followed them into the forest, the loyalist knowing the were outnumbered retreated to a Forge with combat servitors that was surround by terrain perfect for guerrilla warfare. The Traitors arrived at the forge, they lost many men on the way thanks to sniper fire and well placed traps in the jungle. They made it to the forge with only slightly more men then the loyalist. The traitors tried to use the terrain because of the heavy fire coming from the forge but soon found them selves flanked by ferocious rough riders riding what looked like huge bulls, being ambushed from close by terrain, or being hit from the sides with sniper fire. The Traitors were successfully defeated and the Loyalist found a communications center in the palace and called for relief from the imperial forces now that the long storm died down. The Loyalist are currently still living on the same planet and is now a prosperous planet but also known for there skilled guerrilla fighters.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:07   #2 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Doctrines for a Che Guevara themed army?

Sounds good & quite like Catachans ;D.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Allright, good fluff. I'll see what I can do to help.

Since these are mountainous and rainforest soldiers, the doctrine that immediately pops out at me is Light Infantry, and Jungle Fighters. Light Infantry will allow you to take sniper rifles if you choose in your normal squads, whereas Jungle Fighters gives you the ability to take Heavy Flamers. The reduced armor save can be representative of the informal nature of the army.

If you decide against Jungle Fighters, you might want to go for Cameleoline, representing not high tech armor but instead great skill in camouflage.

Since you want to include snipers, I would also take Special Weapon Squads, and possibly Ratlings. Priests would be appropriate since they went first to the Priests when the governor turned Chaos. Since this is a largely agricultural world, Rough Riders could make for a flavorful addition. As an added bonus, IIRC, Fleet of Hoof moves are not effected by difficult terrain, so Rough Riders can still move quickly through forests- I may be wrong on this point, though.

These are just some ideas.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay so......

1. Jungle Fighters
2. Light Infantry
3. Ratlings
4. Rough Riders
5. Priest

The only one I would be willing to drop is the priest, maybe for special weapons or the xeno riders doctrine to represent there strange mounts. Maybe I could incorporate conscripts saying the recruited from the primitive tribesmen located all over the planet. I commonly face either hoard armies are MEQ, there are very few eldar, tau, necrons, inqustional forces, etc. Mostly just marines or something like orks and nids, any thought on what doctrines to pick when I would be facing them out of these doctrines to replace priest, Conscripts, Xeno riders, or Special weapon.

BTW- I really like the doctrines pic, thanks for the help so far.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Eh, Xeno Riders? Just double-checked my 'dex, I'm pretty sure there's only Xeno Fighters. Unless you're speaking of a White Dwarf or Forge World doctrine?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its chapter approved, the rules are pretty cool. Here they are

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhamm...ure-feature/9/
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

I cant really see light infantry and jungle fighters both being nessesary. For the simple fact the Jungle fighters doctrine sucks, i'd stick with only light infantry.

To replace it... I'd look at hardened fighters or iron discipline,
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I dont know, I am pretty keen with those doctrines because there so fluffy plus it would allow tons of alternate weapons, I get to infiltrate any where (not just jungle or forest terrains) and I bascily get carapace armor in wood terrain which my store has ton of, maybe replace priest with veterans to represent the survivors from the war against the govenor instead of hardend fighters.
I narrowed the doctrine replacement to either Conscripts or Veterans then. Conscripts would be nice to just overwhelm the enemy like a blunt hammer but the veterans could be used like a scaple to reduce the armies main uber unit to a pile of gore, metal or fungus, depends what race you are :P
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good point, veterans it is then, thanks for the help guy, I never would have combined jungle fighters with light infantry but now that you have mentioned it, it sounds sweet. I still got to finish my rosen knights though, once again, my friend practicly collects every imperial army and he has cadians and marines so I should finish them both up real quick.

How do you guys think I should model them, I was thinking the figure could mainly be cadian with some catachan bits thrown in and maybe buy a couple of tanith for some variety.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
Good point, veterans it is then, thanks for the help guy, I never would have combined jungle fighters with light infantry but now that you have mentioned it, it sounds sweet. I still got to finish my rosen knights though, once again, my friend practicly collects every imperial army and he has cadians and marines so I should finish them both up real quick.

How do you guys think I should model them, I was thinking the figure could mainly be cadian with some catachan bits thrown in and maybe buy a couple of tanith for some variety.
Well, I'd start by plastering my models in ammo pouches, water canteens and the like. They are guerilla fighters, so I'd expect no less then them having all the equipment they would need to support themselves.

I don't really like combining both Jungle Fighters and Light Infantry. In one case you have burly men the size of the Governor of California, skilled at wrestling ferocious plants while on the other side of things you have men who are lithe and nimble, who prefer to not make a ruckus. Maybe it's just me, but a man the size of a Catachan wouldn't be considered light. :P