Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Band of brothers
Closed Thread
Old 16 Apr 2005, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default Band of brothers

Ok wating band of brothers for any of you actuall war fanatics you know what this is.

And we'll i earned a certian respect for mortars after watching a certian episode.

I was thinking of including a very large ammount of mortars in an army i plan to build it will be quite varied possibly doctrines i have a few in mind. But the main idea is to relentlessly pound shells of light and ehavy nature into the enemy.

Talking tons of mortars 1 basalisk(mabe a griffon but basalisk is top choice)

mixed with quite a large number of men infiltrating with lots of heavy weapons while the mortars and basalisk sit back and pound the enemy.

I plan on infiltrating some lascannons and am going to use 3 flamer sents to gaurd my mortars/ basalisk hopefully get a charge vs any deepstriking units the 1 problem will b terminators deepstriking but if i position a unit of plasma vetrans correctly they will b all but a proble.

I'll get this list to ya soon but as for now most of the squads mortar/ infantry are about 80 pts so gives me quite a few options in my man count.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Band of brothers

Why exactly is the Basilisk "top choice" over the Griffon? Considering that it has a 36" blind spot when firing indirectly, and lacks the armour to attack head-on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

wargamers right, Never take a bas over a griffon because of the blind spots, the bas comes into its own in 20' by 20' siege battles, but then again the bombards more suited to there, the bas is really kinda a failure of imperial design compared to the griffon, if your lucky you may be able to pick up one of the older griffon kist and do some updating
Old 17 Apr 2005, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

bassies are better, it's the range
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial_american
bassies are better, it's the range
Bassies have a blind-spot. They are worse.

Trust me. I've used virtually every IG vehicle in existence... the Basilisk fills no viable tactical niche unless you use an 8'x6' board or larger.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 18 Apr 2005, 16:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep and in siege games your gonna use the range but a battery of Bombards are more suitable so its a failure, not strong enough front armour to stop anything over a infantrymans standard isuue weapon and then the 36" blind spots killer
Old 19 Apr 2005, 06:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok the bas is a high range weapon that will force my opponent in2 cover and i dont plan to use indirect fire with it just gonna keep it at an angle to block off a line of attack from the enemy and it will usually get a few shots of while protecting my vetrans.

I wasnt asking about a comparison between the vehicles whoever started this think b4 u post.

-Unlimiter-
Old 19 Apr 2005, 12:19   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerg
Ok the bas is a high range* weapon that will force my opponent in2 cover and i dont plan to use indirect fire with it just gonna keep it at an angle to block off a line of attack from the enemy and it will usually get a few shots of while protecting my vetrans.
You are either facing very stupid opponents, or are stupid in turn.

The Basilisk is an indirect weapon. With pathetic armour, combined with being Open-Topped, any half-decent Tank Hunter is going to cook it open in one volley. By using it for "Direct-fire", you are wasting 100+ points.

Quote:
I wasnt asking about a comparison between the vehicles whoever started this think b4 u post.
We do "think", you do not. If you did think, you'd realise we are pointing out why the Griffon is superior to the Basilisk in standard games.

You yourself put "Maybe a Griffon", and we are telling you why the Griffon should be chosen over the Basilisk. It is cheaper, better on normal-sized tables and has creater opponent-disruption (being relatively rare, few people know how to deal with them. However, anyone who knows IG can scrap a Basilisk, or render it blind).

Realistically, there is no situation I can think of where you should be taking the Basilisk in favour of any other tank. If you want Indirect Ordnance, go with the Griffon. If you want a fluffy tank, go with the Griffon. If you want high-power Ordnance, take a Leman or Demolisher.

Quote:
Old 20 Apr 2005, 07:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok you complain alot about powergaming but when som1 does something innefetive for fluffy or any other reason you seem to like tearing that idea down i tell you the purpose of the vehicle i have chosen and why i have chosen it.

You think its not realized that it will most likely die i myself would go out of my way to kill a basalisk in the open thats the whole point.

Here is a map for you

B. enemy assault unit here

Vets here [ Terrain ]
[ ]

A. Bassie

Ok i believe you undertand the concept of line of sight well no enemy will enter a zone that is open to basalisk fire say from point A to B this gives me time to positon other units to react to threats and keep one unit that mat be holding a piece of terrain from getting demolished.

Great thing is that people will try to kill a basalisk that is fighting in this style its extremely unorthodox HK missile always has the opportunity to kill off a bassie anyways.

Also seeing as you are not the borg nor do i believe you to have multiple personalites calling your self we when i was personally refering to you is just silly.

Food for thought

-Unlimiter-
Old 20 Apr 2005, 08:53   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerg
Ok you complain alot about powergaming but when som1 does something innefetive for fluffy or any other reason you seem to like tearing that idea down i tell you the purpose of the vehicle i have chosen and why i have chosen it.
Look mate, there is nothing remotely fluffy about including a Basilisk in this army (and it is Basilisk, there is only one "a").

Basilisks have an effective range of 15km. Why in the name of the God-Emperor would something like that engage over ranges of 300 meters or less!? Those are the conditions for the Griffon Mortar, or hand-carried artillery.

Quote:
You think its not realized that it will most likely die i myself would go out of my way to kill a basalisk in the open thats the whole point.

Here is a map for you

* * * * * * * * * * * B.* * * * * * * *enemy assault unit here

* * * *Vets here* * * * * * * [* * *Terrain* * * * * *]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [* * * * * * * * * * * * * ]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * A.* Bassie

Ok i believe you undertand the concept of line of sight well no enemy will enter a zone that is open to basalisk fire say from point* *A to B* this gives me time to positon other units to react to threats and keep one unit that mat be holding a piece of terrain from getting demolished.
Your map is flawed. Either you are deploying within 1" of the opponent's deployment zone, or you're using a 360" board.

What is going to happen is your opponent sees the Basilisk in the open and thinks "what a noob...". He then blows it up, turn 1, with a Krak Missile. You have just lost 100+ points, and diverted about 5% of their firepower. Since you're going low-armour anyway, "soaking up" anti-tank weapons isn't helping.

Quote:
Great thing is that* people will try to kill a basalisk that is fighting in this style its extremely unorthodox HK missile always has the opportunity to kill off a bassie anyways.
What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
Also seeing as you are not the borg nor do i believe you to have multiple personalites calling your self we when i was personally refering to you is just silly.

Food for thought
Unique was supporting me on this as well. There are more people on this thread than just myself, I am merely the most active.

Look, you simply need to take my word for it. I have played Guard since before the 3rd Edition Codex came out, which was about 1999. That's six years, give or take, of playing Guard. In that time, I have played SIGAFH, Mechanised, Assaulty, Drop-Troops, Armoured Company (original), Armoured Batallion, and some truly screwy lists like an all-artillery army.

In all that time, I have played one game where the Basilisk was the best choice of tank to bring... and that was when I used a 100" board. Even with the 36" blindspot, that leaves 64" firing field along the left edge where it deployed...

Thus I can say with absolute certainty that if you aren't playing on a 100" board or larger, the Basilisk ain't worth it.

Quote:
Closed Thread