Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

time fillers
Old 10 Mar 2008, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas
Default time fillers

I have M.E. at the moment and am struggling to find stuff to fill my time. I am not well enough to work for cash and each templar squad is costing me 54 for a minimum of assembly time(I use pretty much a whole upgrade box per squad and my army's mechanalised). I thought I'd get some gaurd and make them up slowly with conversions, the full works. does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make the stuff take longer to assemble and look like a regiment trying to live up to standard of the fearsome space marines? any doctrines suggestions? I'm leaning towards carapace and sharpshooters as I want them to be mainly long ranged with missile launchers and heavy bolters.

any ideas and links would be welcome

kunas
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: time fillers

You may already do this. Apologies if so.

1) Mold lines. Remove them all. It adds to the time you take making stuff, and it looks better in the end. Much much better if you do step 3.

2) Conversions. Do them nicely, put effort in. People go "wow" and they look cool. And the good ones take time.

3) Paint well. It takes way more time to paint well than I thought. I don't know what your current standard is, but get in a couple of lessons - either in store, or ask people here.

If you do all those things, your Black Templars will probably take a good 7 hours per squad.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thanks for the tips, one thing I forgot to say; I can only assemble modles, I can't paint them. another M.E. thing, I don't know how it works but I get headaches when I try :P

any ideas of conversions I can do? I have only done one aesthetic converison which was a kroot kill team. it's still work in progress but it looks good. I have lots of ideas but they mainly require the skills of the best of you to do moderatly well though
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well Space Marines are proper easy to convert. Seriously. Like I have a guy wielding two boltpistols and he's doing the Matrix gunfighting thing =P the only limit is really your imagination.

You should probably try and paint... I know M.E. is hell, but try short bursts. Painting adds time, and that's what you say you want to spend! It adds a LOT of time in fact.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll try and do sort the painting thing if I can but I doubt it will be easy :P

if I wasn't so strapped for cash I'd buy a renegades upgrade thing from forgeworld just for the twin machine pistols :rockon: do you think I could convert some gaurd infantry to carapace with plasticard? that would take ages!!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 19:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's doable. To be honest though Guard are literally the only army I not only don't do but have zero desire to do so I am not the guy to ask about that =P

Unless you count Armoured Company.... but I have lots of other things on the list before I make that, if ever.

You may call me Circus.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 08:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, a bit of very thin plasticard will work for carapace armour, and greenstuff for the knee-pads (which shouldn't require too much skill).

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2008, 09:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

how do people find carapace working in game?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:54   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I only use carapace for my Commissars and my Officers (I use standard Guard rules, no doctrines), and I find them to be pretty good and last a fair while, but then again, I do use them counter attack assault units which make it to my line (and even then, I usually send in all three command squads to make sure the enemy can't walk at the end of the combat )

Edit, I'll move this to the Guard as it seems to be centered around Guard at the moment
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4C
Well Space Marines are proper easy to convert. Seriously. Like I have a guy wielding two boltpistols and he's doing the Matrix gunfighting thing =P the only limit is really your imagination.
I have a assualt marine with twin plasma pistols, I call him the "insane John Wu" marine. Guess great minds think alike.

[hr]
on to the question.

It's one of those personal peferance things. It's an expensive upgrade, but I like it. I usually use carapace and hardened fighters with my drop troop army and it's worked well in the games I've played with it. But I also am right in assualt range and only get one round of shooting before melee so the extra survivability goes a long way, usually it lets my squad survive until my CC units move in for backup.

I'd say it depends on your army. For a long range shooty guard army I personally wouldn't use it. It's too expensive for every 4 squads with carapace you could have another squad with heavy and special weapons. For a shooty guard army I think you need more bodies with guns than the extra protection.

hope it helps some
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote