Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Harden Veterans weapons layout
Old 07 Mar 2008, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw
Default Harden Veterans weapons layout

Hello Guard players

I'm making a Blood Pact list and I'm planing to use 2 units of harden vets. The thing is I'm stuck on the weapon layouts. I want the layout to be fitting of a blood pact army and tactical sound.

I thought about assault units, but i know guard aren't know for the CC ability and probably be crushed my superior CC units. Any other ideas on successful Veteran weapons layouts, would be great o hear.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Harden Veterans weapons layout

I don't know anything about blood pact but...

If you want assault, you can equip them with shotguns and 3 flamers. THat's some nice close range firepower. You could also give them some grenade launchers (Not starting an arguement here) because you can move and shoot with them to stay mobile.

Two flamers and a grenade launcher or vice versa would be great for a mobile assault unit...

Any more details on blood pact? I might be able to help you more.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 23:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Ok, I'll just regress my brain back about fourteen years and go "PLASMAAAAAH AAAAARGHGHL!"

Yup, I'm a fan of Plasma-armed Hardened Veterans. And I often enjoy throwing a Lascannon in there for good use of their higher BS.
They are really nice since even with a large amount of guns (about 55 points in guns alone) still doesn't really cost that much overall.

The ability to take [glow=red,2,300]THREE[/glow] Plasma Guns is too good to give up, compared to three Flamers or Grenade Launchers.

Two full squads of Las/Plas hell only amounts to a total of 270 points. And any MEQ player, or someone having lots of light armour, would take a lot of their effort trying to kill these two squads. Meanwhile you pound their bum with the steak tenderizer that is the Heavy Weapons of the Imperial Guard.

Put the two squads in cover and watch your opponent try desperately to move around them, then dropping x number of pie plates on their heads when they peek around a corner. ;D

And as assault units...well...no, not really...
Most of the times any guard unit enters melee, it usually goes, "splat-ow!-K'chau'k A'm ded." (Unless you use Ogryns, of course)
The squads altogether are too weak to actually tie up any assaulting foe. And it is sad to waste their nice BS on poorly trying to mimic Catachans.

Go Plasma
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 23:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree...plasmaguns on vets are a winning proposition, especially if they're carapaced. You're paying extra for the BS. Use it. Flamers are better on special-weapon squads anyway (2 flamers and a demo-charge make for a nasty close-combat disruptor).
Old 08 Mar 2008, 02:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

Elites- Hardened Veterans
5 Guardmen with lasguns, 2 Guardsmen with plasma guns, 1 lascannon team and a Veteran Sergeant with a lasgun.

TOTAL:130pts

I went this this setup, it completely different from my first setup (which had 2 flamers and 1 melta gun)
Old 10 Mar 2008, 14:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why limit yourself to 2 plasmas? Go for 3! And it pays off to give the vet sgt a bolter, it might seem minor, but it's useful for its price. Or even a plasma pistol, but hardliners consider it too costly.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2008, 00:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Assault?

I'm all for the Tri-Melta. See if you can give your Vet Sarge a Combi-Melta too.

Not much to say, three meltas speak for themselves. Other guys can be equipped with shotguns, or laspistols and CC.

Just my thoughts.
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
I'm all for the Tri-Melta. See if you can give your Vet Sarge a Combi-Melta too.
unfortunatly guard can't take combi weapons.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

What?

Hmm... They must have taken that out from the old 'dex... if the old 'dex didn't have them, I am seriously mistaken!

Well, if they could, it'd be pretty damn cool, eh? Four melta shots... the stuff of dreams...

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
What?

Hmm... They must have taken that out from the old 'dex... if the old 'dex didn't have them, I am seriously mistaken!

Well, if they could, it'd be pretty damn cool, eh? Four melta shots... the stuff of dreams...

Stankov
Stankov, you're really going to have to purchase yourself the new codex...