Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

heavy weapons
Old 06 Mar 2008, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default heavy weapons

There has been a conflict within my friends' and my type of gameplay. If your heavy weapons team was an imperial guard or eldar one, would it hit both units automatically or would the crew count as one model with two wounds, not like the ork one? ???

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: heavy weapons

Well Imperial Guard weapon teams count as 2 models even if they're on one base. I'm not 100% on the eldar rules, but I believe any gaurdian acts as crew for the platform so it doesn't matter.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

For Eldar, it's fairly easy; there are two members of the Guardian squad who are "armed" with the Heavy Weapon. They can draw Line of Sight from either of them. You have to kill both of them to remove the weapon.

If you were talking about the Support Weapon Platforms (as a Heavy Support choice, and armed with a D-Cannon, Vibro Cannon, or a Shadow Weaver) then the rules for these are covered by the rules on page 56 of the rulebook.

For Imperial Guard, it's slightly different. One model is armed with the Heavy Weapon whilst the other is the "loader". The loader has no appreciable value (other than being a standard Imperial Guardsman) and is a remnant of Second Edition rules. Yeah, it's two editions out of date. If you kill the one guy armed with the Heavy Weapon (say, with the Torrent of Fire rules), it's gone.

If you have both models on the 60mm base, then the IG FAQ covers this situation with: "Treat them as two separate models that are based together for convenience of movement".

Thus, you take the casualties separately.

Hope this helps!
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 09:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
For Imperial Guard, it's slightly different. One model is armed with the Heavy Weapon whilst the other is the "loader". The loader has no appreciable value (other than being a standard Imperial Guardsman) and is a remnant of Second Edition rules. Yeah, it's two editions out of date. If you kill the one guy armed with the Heavy Weapon (say, with the Torrent of Fire rules), it's gone.
Thats not correct I'm afraid Masked Thespian, IG Heavy Weapons were the subject of quite alot of debate a while back and at the time I emailed the design studio at an email address given out at a UK GT Seminar with a number of relating questions to clear it up, the response was printed in UK WD306 on page 127.

Quote:
Q 1. Do both heavy weapons crew have a lasgun?
Q 2. Can both heavy weapon crewmen fire their lasguns (if they have them) instead of firing their heavy weapon?
Q 3. Are both crewmen required to fire heavy weapons?
Q 4. Although it is not specified in the codex, assuming one crewman is the 'gunner' (ie, who fire the weapon) and the other the 'loader' (who just carries the ammo), if the gunner is killed by an attack that can specify the target (eg, Vindicare Assasin, Mind War etc) or by a template weapon, can the loader continue to fire the heavy weapon in the gunner's abscence?

A. Guardsmen all have lasguns initally, however one member of a weapons team must give up his lasgun to take a heavy weapon(only one two-handed weapon allowed). One member of the team can fire his lasgun while the other fires the heavy weapon. Both have to be killed to disable the heavy weapon.
Thus, as long as one of the two crewmen is alive, the gun can be fired, 'gunner' and 'loader' are merely names, and have little relervance to gameplay.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 12:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If that is GW's official stance on things, then how come the FAQ has not been updated with the pertinent information? Not everyone has access to that particular White Dwarf (indeed, I seem unable to find my copy to verify the quote : ).
[hr]
Old 07 Mar 2008, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

When was the last time a FAQ was updated other then shortly after release? The fact is GW provide lousy FAQ support. That aside it is the only GW written and published answer to the issue, so should be taken as such.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 12:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That answer still doesn't answer my question. If being flamed, would it count as two seperate models or a crew with two wounds? ???

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 13:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super heavy gunner
That answer still doesn't answer my question. If being flamed, would it count as two seperate models or a crew with two wounds? ???
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
The IG FAQ covers this situation with: "Treat them as two separate models that are based together for convenience of movement".
[hr]
Old 08 Mar 2008, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Agreed. For the purposes of flamers, I'd say that it actually has to cover both of the men themselves, not just the base, to hit both of them. However, because of the "measure from the base" thing, I'd say that seeing as the models are often quite a way away from the front of the base with IG heavy weapon teams, for the sake of fairness if the template touches the base, but no men, then it hits one man.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 13:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

because of this rule I'm thinking about buying a lot of the large infantry bases(can anyone tell the mm size), you know the ones terminators are on. and cut my weapon teams off the large base and put the weapon and gunner on the large infantry base and the loader a normal infantry base.

just to avoid the problem in the future. and it will be easier to spot losses and look better than just puting a die on the base.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote