Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new player needing advice
Old 06 Mar 2008, 16:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default new player needing advice

I have recently decide to start collectin imperail guard and need some advice on how much to spend and what to get

thanks
shas o fireknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: new player needing advice

1) Codex

2) Troops for FOC requirement

3) Tanks!!!!!!!

4) More Troops and Heavy weapons

5) Sentinal and Hellhound

6) Try stuff to fit your play style.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 19:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Command Squad

50 men for FOC and 2 junior officers

Also, LOTS OF TANKS! TAAAANKS!!!!!

Then whatever you fancy...

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 20:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks but how much should i spend ???
Old 06 Mar 2008, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Must haves - officers (these can be converted from regular grunts - also, I wouldn't buy the command squad box - if you are a competent converter, with enough bitz you can make a command squad from regular infantry, for example a guy with a hacksaw and a greenstuff syringe, apron and satchel becomes an instant medic, and standard bearers can be made from WHFB bitz easily enough), LOTS of troops, a heavy weapons team box (you will only really need one or two of these - if you buy extra bases, you can make many heavy weapons teams from the bitz on the frame. Each heavy weapon sprue comes with the bitz to make EVERY heavy weapon, but you only have a few legs - use standing legs from troop boxes on loaders and missile launcher users to economise), and a few tanks of some sort. Basilisks are brilliant, if a tad cheesy - pop them in a corner behind some terrain, give them indirect fire and watch the corpses pile up. Make sure that it has some support to protect it from Deep Strikers and fast hit-and-run units, and bear in mind that it is very inaccurate, so strategic placing of the blast marker and target selection is important. Sentinels - if you take them at all, spam up. A few Sentinels on their own will quickly fall, but your opponent will find it very difficult to deal with masses of them. A squadron of lascannon Sentinels makes for a great suicide unit - get 'em forward quickly in some choice cover, then wait for a pricey enemy unit to expose itself, then [glow=red,2,300]FREEM!!![/glow] Expect your Sentinels to take heavy punishment in the next turn, but it doesn't matter too much if they die after that - their purpose has been fulfilled. If some survive, get them back behind cover and repeat the process. Leman Russes pack some seriously ouchy weaponry, but they come at a price and they scream "Fire Magnet". If you want yours to survive, then tactics are necessary - try to get it as much as possible in the middle of the board, so it's weak side armour isn't exposed, but more importantly hide it from long-ranged tank killing guns that could turn it into an expensive bit of terrain on Turn 1. As for Hellhounds, I haven't had much experience of them, but it's probably a good idea to keep them hidden behind terrain until needed due to their short range and poor armour.

Possibles - storm troopers (can be converted from normal infantry, but you need a LOT of patience. If you want to do it, the vox-caster backpacks make for great hellgun power supplies. Just beef up the normal Cadian lasgun and shave off the magazine, replacing it with cables leading to the power pack. Rebreathers can be made from greenstuff, and by cutting the Cadian flamer backpack in half and sticking it to the bottom of the power pack, you have an instant oxygen tank - just connect to the gas mask with a cable) - these guys aren't much tougher than normal IG, save for a better armour save, and their Hellguns aren't much better than standard lasguns unless you face low-save armies on a regular basis. For speacial weapons, stick with the strong stuff like plasma and meltaguns - flamers are a waste of the improved BS, and grenade lauchers are just...well, bad. They can Deep Strike, so can be used as a decent suicide unit or objective taker. Veterans - a ten-man normal guardsman squad with better BS, but the same awful guns and armour. However, they can be given A LOT of special weapons, and even a heavy weapon. But keep them well protected - they attract a lot of fire with their scary amount of weaponry, and die real quick. Keep them behind cover if possible. Lascannons are a good choice for heavy weapon, given their improved BS and the one-hit-wonder nature of the lascannon. A las-melta squad Infiltrated behind a good bit of cover will instagib any really heavy infantry that come their way within a couple of turns, given some good shooting, and will utterly annihilate any tanks foolish enough to stray near them. Because of their scary firepower, they make a very good short-ranged area denial unit, but prepare to give them some cover fire to protect them from assault. Veterans die very fast in assault, even with a powerfist Sergeant. And now for Conscripts - they can't shoot to save their lives (literally) and run away from Grots, but used well they can seriously intimidate an opponent through sheer weight of numbers. A common way to overcome their seriously low Leadership value is to attatch Commissar Yarrick to them, but this way well provoke cries of "CHEESE!!!". Alternatively, if you take the Independant Commissars doctrine then you can attatch a Commissar to them for a fraction of the points cost, although they're not as good as Yarrick as a melee powerhouse. Do not try to shoot with Conscripts. Instead, charge a whacking great mob of them right up to the enemy lines. And max out on flamers - being an Assault weapon which doesn't need BS to hit, they are perfect for Conscripts. Don't bother to protect your Conscripts with cover - the idea is that such a huge mass of troops charging towards the enemy will make them use everything they've got to try and wipe out the mob - in the meantime, your shooty guardsmen squads are advancing behind them to bring all their dakka to bear! Alternatively, you can keep the rest of your army out of the enemy's shooting range and march your Conscripts up their flank, where they'll take less fire - perfect against armies that do badly in melee *coughTAUcough*. And finally, Support Squads. These babies are an added bonus that come with your Command Squad, but don't have to follow it around - you can have a Sentinel squad, some Special Weapons Squads, and some Heavy Weapons Squads. One of the best options for these is one or two Mortar Squads. While in Guardsmen squads the heavy bolter is a far better option, regular Heavy Weapons Squads only number 6 men, and start loosing valuable weaponry quickly when shot at. But mortars can Indirect Fire, meaning they can shoot from behind cover way at the back of your forces, using their long range to fire right across the board. They may be inaccurate, but they are great for Pinning annoying shooty units, and their Barrage ability makes a Pinning result even more likely. Get in!

Simple IG tactics in a nutshell - hope that helped you choose some units! ;D

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 20:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thank you very much one more question, what is a junior officer's attendants???

once again thank you very much Commissar_Will
Old 06 Mar 2008, 20:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The issue of cost is a hard question to answer, seeing as you give no clue as to which country you live in. I'll include the UK costs of models in my post as a guideline. Plus, the amount of money spent on an army varies depending on which individual army you are collecting.

At the very minimum, you will need to purchase the Codex (12) so you can read about the Imperial Guard and so you can write an army list.

After that, you will need to look at filling the minimum requirements for an army (i.e. 1 HQ, 2 Troops). For the Imperial Guard, this will require a minimum of 30 men, and either another 25 men, or 10 men and a Chimera. If you are planning on collecting an army based on the Cadian or Catachan plastics, and feel capable of converting characters out of them, then feel free to purchase only the plastic boxes. Otherwise you will need to purchase metal figures for them.

Truthfully, at this point, you won't have much of an Imperial Guard army, so you should bulk it out with a few more things like more Guardsmen squads, Sentinels, and Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

At this point, you ought to be approaching the 1000 point mark with your army, and should have gotten several games under your belt to get a feel for the army. Assuming, of course, that you're not planning on buying it all at once (something which I am often guilty of :-[).

I would recommend the following to get to this point:

Codex (12)
2 Cadian Battleforces (2 x 50)
1 Chimera (18)
4 Sentinels (4 x 12 = 48)
(Optional) Cadian Imperial Guard HQ Command, metal box set (15)

Or, if you fancied Catachan plastics:

Codex (12)
2 Catachan Battleforces (2 x 50 = 100)
1 Chimera (18)
2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks (2 x 25 = 50)
(Optional) Jungle Fighter Captain with Power Fist (6)

Either of those will easily give you 1000 points to play with, and a little more to boot. I'd say that's a very good start to almost any Imperial Guard army.

Hope this helps!
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas o fireknife
thank you very much one more question, what is a junior officer's attendants???

once again thank you very much Commissar_Will
Read your codex entry. It tells you exactly what you get when you purchase a junior officer. If you do not have a codex, buy that first.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the help

I quite like the vstroyan range, which model should i get for them?

Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, they are good models. But I don't really care for them. Mainly the fact that you only get a complete squad if you take the heavy bolter team in a single box. Also thay are all metal, and guardsmen, so that is a lot of metal minis which I try to avoid.

But if you go with them, just get the same thing as above. You just need more boxes... (and money )

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote