Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep Striking StormTroops. Weapon Pref?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Deep Striking StormTroops. Weapon Pref?

Deepstriking StormTroopers are the most point-effective for taking objectives of the 3 types of StormTroopers (Mounted, DeepStrike, and Infiltrate). Infiltrating Stormtroopers have to hold off the enemy until help arrives to relieve them, which is almost always suicide and a waste of a valuable squad. Mounted troops cost a ton as Chimera's are hardly cheap, and one 6pt Ork with a Rokkit can make all those points you spent blow sky high. DeepStrike on the other hand, come in at full strength, where-ever you need them.

Here's my problem. I'm in love with Melta. Taking 2 meltaguns in one squad is almost too good to pass up, but I have to remind myself, Meltaguns aren't the best for taking and more importantly -holding- objectives. You've only got one shot, and while it kills anything, that might not be what you're looking for in terms of keeping the enemy at bay. Its overkill for every Troop type out there from Terminators to Hormagaunts, and only useful for making tanks cry (not a bad thing, but in a Guard army with it's 1,000 Missile Launchers, is that important on a Storm Trooper Squad?).

I'm leaning towards Plasma. It's the same point cost as my beloved Melta, so my armylist can stay the same, and it gets 2 shots w/in 12" instead of 1. Sure, with 4 shots its likely to roll a 1 on at least one of them, and probably cook a man, but it will probably make the enemy think twice about sending his spearhead in to claim an objective (especially if it's made of Terminator or Power Armor).

Though they've still got the Grenade Launcher available, and the....Flamer (complete waste of a BS 4 model).

Whats the best weapon for holding Objectives after DeepStriking??

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Deep Striking StormTroops. Weapon Pref?

I have found deepstriking with 2 flamers to be a great anti-infantry strike force. I do this with a full 10-man unit. Used them to good effect to capture and hold objectives. You see it as a waste of BS4, I see it as a way to drop 2 Template weapons right next to an enemy before they get a shot off. Auto hit, auto partials, no cover saves (take that bunker dwellers!).

My second ST group is a minimum force one-shot-wonder with vet sarge with plasma pistol, and then either plasmaguns or melta guns. (Until I can get some more models, I use inquisitorial stormtroopers)

In an Apoc game my teammate convinced me to take plasmas, since we were facing chaos marines, even knowing that we might go up against a Warhound titan. I DSed my plasma guys in right behind the titan, within shields, and opened up with 5 shots. Didn't really hurt it, and it was a long shot - 4+ to hit, then 5+ to pen, then 5+ to do a structure point, so only 22% chance of doing 1 SP. The problem with Meltas is you have to be in 6", so you better hope you don't scatter, because if you are out of range, you're a sitting duck (I scattered too far to have been able to get the extra d6, so Plasmas were a better weapon). Im not all that comfortable relying on the roughly 40% chance of hitting the mark or scattering within range of the drop zone to get the meltas in range. Plasmas can still single fire up to 24" at least, so you can always choose a new shooting target when you drop in a bad spot.

Keep in mind with Plasmas rapid firing, it overheats on a 1 or a 2! Rapid firing 2 plasma weapons is an 80% chance of overheating at least 1, and a 40% chance of overheating at least 2! The 4+ save helps a bit more though.
Old 02 Mar 2008, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Whenever I take Storm Troopers, I always give them two meltas. I use them to deep strike and take out hidden enemy armor or fortifications, not to hold ground.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow I forgot it was a 1-2 when Rapid.

Hmm....I'm thinking 1 Plas 1 Melta, I'm getting 3 shots w/in 12" instead of 4, but its a lot safer.

And yeah I'm sure DeepStriking StormTroopers are good for taking out hidden armor, but that's not what I'm using em for. I'm basically throwing 10 wounds onto an objective to either control or contest it, with or without support from the rest of my army.

Old 02 Mar 2008, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If I want an expendable deepstrike unit, I use Special Weapons Squads with Demo charges...the Stormtroopers are better suited for taking and holding stuff, so long as you can properly protect them from assault units (like Assault Marines with Furious Charge for instance).
Old 03 Mar 2008, 07:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well what if I want a DeepStriking take+hold squad?

lol

Old 03 Mar 2008, 08:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
The problem with Meltas is you have to be in 6", so you better hope you don't scatter, because if you are out of range, you're a sitting duck
I wouldn't say you had to be within 6" (maybe vs a titan). 12" is usually sufficient when you've a chance of hitting side/rear armour.

I would say double Plasma because you can target stuff at long range and then rack up the hurt as they close the distance...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 22:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
Quote:
The problem with Meltas is you have to be in 6", so you better hope you don't scatter, because if you are out of range, you're a sitting duck
I wouldn't say you had to be within 6" (maybe vs a titan). 12" is usually sufficient when you've a chance of hitting side/rear armour.
Titan shields are 12", and rear armor of 12, but Meltas only give an extra d6 penetration at half their range. When deepstriking, the Plasma gun gets 2 S7 shots at 12", vs a Meltaguns 1 S8 shot at 12". While the +1S can make a difference, you have 75% chance of hitting with BS4 if taking 2 melta shots, but a a 93% chance of hitting at least once with 4 shots, and a 68% chance of hitting twice out of 4 shots. Although either way since deepstriking the max shooting range will be 12", the extra strength point on a melta would probably make it more worthwhile even if it can't get the extra d6.
Old 04 Mar 2008, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Use plasma. Sure, the overheat sucks, but hey, if you miss with your specials, the odds are decent the squads gonna die soon anyhow. At least with plasma, when you get a great roll, it's devestating. And even if you lose one guy the first round, you did get two extra shots the first round, and now you're exactly where you would be if you were running meltas.

Suicide squads need firepower over survivability. =) And for take and hold style squads, plasma is what you'll need for that.

Oh, and don't forget, if they ARE fortunate enough to survive, you'll probably keep em on the same spot, in which case, the longer plasma range becomes useful.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 09:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
Quote:
Titan shields are 12", and rear armor of 12, but Meltas only give an extra d6 penetration at half their range. When deepstriking, the Plasma gun gets 2 S7 shots at 12", vs a Meltaguns 1 S8 shot at 12". While the +1S can make a difference, you have 75% chance of hitting with BS4 if taking 2 melta shots, but a a 93% chance of hitting at least once with 4 shots, and a 68% chance of hitting twice out of 4 shots. Although either way since deepstriking the max shooting range will be 12", the extra strength point on a melta would probably make it more worthwhile even if it can't get the extra d6.
Titans are also a bit of an extreme example. You won't see any in a standard game of 40K and (at least in my gaming circle) they're still quite rare in Apocalypse.

The point about Meltas is that you pretty much have to play aggressive with them, willing the scatter dice to roll up a HIT. That said, Plasma is definitely the best for Take and Hold.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote