Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Up Close and Personal – A Guide to the Tactical Application of Grenadiers
Old 29 Feb 2008, 11:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Up Close and Personal – A Guide to the Tactical Application of Grenadiers

There are many ways to incorporate the Grenadiers doctrine into your Imperial Guard army. My own perception of a dedicated Grenadiers force if of an elite, relatively small and well armoured formation primarily made up of infantry. When comparing it to a run-of-the-mill Imperial Guard army you might describe it as a “scalpel” to the standard formation’s “hammer”. They have to be used with much more care and attention to detail. Because of this, perhaps the dedicated Grenadiers force is not the most competitive army (at least in the format I prefer) but it is certainly a lot of fun to use. I’m going to present you with a skeleton list based on a selection of doctrines that can be tailored to suit your own preferences, followed by a section on the recommended tactical application of these units.
[hr]
The Doctrines
Grenadiers – allows us to take three squads of Grenadiers, who get all the stats and equipment of Stormtroopers, but lose their special deployment abilities.
Stormtrooper Squads - Only if you wish to take them as Elites as well as troops (which is advisable as the Elite variety may upgrade to Deep Strike and/or Infiltrate).
Veterans – This doctrine may be redundant and can be swapped out if you prefer. The reason I have taken them is because the Officer has access to a wider variety of wargear and I like being able to take three special weapons rather than two.
Carapace Armour – The Command Squad and Veterans are going to need the extra protection. In my layout I’m only spending an additional 60 points on this doctrine as Grenadiers already wear it (you may argue that you are still paying for it as Stormtroopers are 4 points more expensive that a regular guardsman, but you should also remember that Stormtroopers have slightly better guns, better BS, better Ld, and two types of grenade as standard… so to me their a steal at 10 pts each).
Iron Discipline – This is taken in an effort to offset the smaller numbers you are bringing to the field. If he is close to hand broken squads can rally even when they are under half strength, which could mean the difference between winning and losing.

Other Doctrines to consider: Die Hards – could be useful, considering lack of numbers. Hardened Fighters – up close and personal that +1 WS could be useful, but it is prohibitively expensive. Note that your Storm Trooper Squads and Grenadiers do not count as Guard Infantry for Doctrines purposes.
[hr]
The list (1500 pts)

HQ 151 pts
JO w/ power weapon, trademark item, iron discipline
Command Squad w/ 2x grenade launchers (or a mortar)
Carapace armour (for the squad)
Commissar w/ carapace armour

Elites 461 pts
8 Stormtroopers: Veteran Sgt w/ meltabombs, 2 meltaguns, deep strike
10 Hardened Vets: Officer w/ power fist, 3 meltaguns, 6 shotguns, frag grenades, carapace armour
10 Hardened Vets: Officer w/ power fist, 3 meltaguns, 6 shotguns, frag grenades, carapace armour

Troops 748 pts
8 Grenadiers: 2 Plasmaguns
8 Grenadiers: 2 Plasmaguns
8 Grenadiers: 2 Flamers
8 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers: Veteran Sgt w/ Thunder Hammer, 2 Meltaguns, Chimers w/ Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
8 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers: Veteran Sgt w/ Thunder Hammer, 2 Meltaguns, Chimers w/ Multilaser, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Total points: 1360

The above list gives you a starting point, and gives you 140 points remaining to customise it to taste. You could cap your squads or use them to buy extra doctrines or wargear. It’s always good to have a personalised force, you’ll get much more satisfaction from using it this way. Following on we’ll summarise the capabilities and tactical application of each of the above units.
[hr]
HQ: This guy fills your mandatory HQ slot. The unit itself is fairly vulnerable, but he is also unassuming, so he’s only going to draw fire from units that have no other targets. It’s important, if you want him to survive, that you keep him well covered. Then again, it’s not going to harm you too much if he catches a bullet, as he’s fairly inexpensive. My own application of this unit is to allow me to rally when I’m under half strength, as the force is small and quite fragile. As such he’ll probably only advance so far before hunkering down to watch the game unfold. This said, the mortar may be a slightly better choice than the grenade launchers, this is down to personal preference. The Commissar is there to bolster the Officer’s leadership effects and make sure those units rally, while the trademark item gives me a re-roll in case this unit comes under fire. I like to take Priests as my fifth Doctrine for fluff reasons; hence I favour the Grenade Launchers over the mortar.

Infiltrators: Referring to the Hardened Veteran units. These are the most expensive units, and as such it is important that they are used wisely. Infiltrating so that they are out of sight at the beginning of the game is highly advisable so that they don’t come under fire too often. Their main tactical role is as an assault squad. There is already an article on the forum regarding the tactical use of this unit, so I won’t go into massive detail. They can also be used to hunt tanks and heavy infantry, but you should always weigh up the odds before committing them as they are still only WS3, S3 (apart from the Officer). Their assault weapons go some way to balancing this, allowing them to shoot then assault. I tend to fight Tau and Eldar a lot, so these units are generally a high priority for my opponents to take down. Against Tau they are positioned so that enemy vehicles are always visible to at least one unit, which can also counter Jump-Shoot-Jump tactics to a certain extent (don’t forget those Meltas will subject battlesuits to Instant Death). These units can be best combined with the Deep Strikers and Mechanised elements of the army.

Deep Strikers: This unit is first and foremost a tank-hunting unit, but it can also be used to bust open battlesuits, depending on which is hurting you the most. It’s going to be a high priority target as soon as it turns up, which may lead you to either bump them up to 10 or to minimise the unit (in which case you should strip out the veteran sergeant as he’d unlikely to get to use those Meltabombs). I use these boys aggressively, deploying them wherever I need them most and sometimes at great personal risk. It’s not like their Terminators, a points sink at the best of times, and if they die at least they died bravely. Even if all they do is draw fire away from your vets and mechanised units that’s okay by me.

Mechanised Allies: The use of Inquisitorial allies is predominantly one of expedience. I wanted to take Hardened Veterans, so to get extra Stormtrooper squads I had to incorporate some units from my Daemonhunters army which, incidentally, fits my fluff perfectly. It also give you some interesting options, namely, Thunder Hammers! Imagine your opponent’s face when your troops disembark to reveal a Thunder-Hammer-toting Imperial Guardsman? Suddenly throwing them into combat with his Avatar doesn’t seem such a stupid idea after all. Granted, it does make them slightly more expensive (and an Avatar is immune to the meltaguns in these squads, but that was just one example), but these units are all about shoving it where it hurts! Thus they are mounted in Chimeras which I’ve chosen over Rhinos because of the extra armour and weaponry they bring to the field in an army that has no heavy support. Again these units need to be used with extreme care, using intervening terrain to block LOS as much as possible and utilising smoke when this is not possible. They have to hit hard and fast and get into combat as quickly as they can, but this does not mean you should be reckless with them. They should combine with the Hardened Veteran squads where necessary, swamping the enemy with carapace armoured, ‘Fist and ‘Hammer toting Stormtrooper equivalents.

The Footsloggers: These are the three Grenadiers units, two Plasma squads and one equipped with Flamers. Faced with the option to mount these in Chimeras, I opted not to as it would have been far too expensive. Instead these units take full advantage of the fact that everything else in my army is likely to be a higher priority, moving up behind them or providing fire support as needed. Don’t expose these to enemy units too early in the game as they are likely to attract default fire from those units that cannot see anything else. This is covered under Clear the Field below. The Flamer unit is there specifically to root out lightly armoured infiltrators (such as Kroot especially). The most important thing about these three units is that they should be used to snatch objectives. Often they will be the safest units on the field so there is a greater chance that they will still be scoring units at the end of the game.
[hr]
Multiple Jeopardy: The five main units (Infiltrators, Deep Strikers and Mechanised Allies) should all be used in concert wherever possible. Until you can bring them all to bear at the same time they should be kept out of harm’s way as much as possible. Against a combat-oriented army you may need to commit sooner than you’d want. However, in this case your Footsloggers will have a greater chance of getting into the mix as well, meeting them halfway and pitching your entire army against his combat elements (which may give you an advantage in numbers, a luxury you won’t often be afforded with this type of army). Basically the more threats your opponent perceives at any one time, the less you are likely to suffer as a consequence of his actions. If he is allowed to pick on your boys piecemeal they will suffer! Keep your cards close to the chest and only reveal them when you can bring them all to bear.

Clear the Field: An essential aspect of this army is to limit your opponent’s field of fire as much as possible before the crunch moment (described above). Terrain should be used to block LOS, obscure your tanks and provide cover saves where Carapace is not enough. If you have a good grasp of how to do this then your chances of success greatly improve.

Well, that is my take on Grenadiers, I hope I have offered some useful insights. It should be noted that the Grenadiers list is not a beginner’s army. It is small and fragile at best, an interesting challenge for experienced players, but certainly not the most competitive list (in the above form). Others may have ideas on how to make it more tournament-worthy and their comments would be welcome in an effort to broaden this tactica.

Extartius

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Up Close and Personal – A Guide to the Tactical Application of Grenadiers

I would just like to point out one small error: When they say you don't need to buy back the Storm Troopers doctrine, they mean that only for the ones you take as troops. If you want to take regular stormtroopers in the elites section then you still need the doctrine.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Up Close and Personal – A Guide to the Tactical Application of Grenadiers

Chem-Inhalers can only be used on Guard Infantry (i.e. Command squads, anti-tank squads, fire support squads, special weapons squads, hardened veteran squads, and infantry squads). Grenadiers and Stormtroopers don't have access to it.

Iron Discipline would be the thing to take instead (though it would only work on things within your HQ's Leadership range.)
Old 29 Feb 2008, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good post, have a +1.
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks fellas, I'll make the necessary corrections.

Old 03 Mar 2008, 02:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Would you mind if we added this to the Tactica?

On that note, AC we really need to get that sorted out.
Old 03 Mar 2008, 07:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually I was going to post it in the tactica thread originally but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate or not. I'd be pleased for it to be included in the tactica.