Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which is better for melee? Command Squad vs. High Command?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Which is better for melee? Command Squad vs. High Command?

Hello...although the High command is optional, I've been fiddling with the numbers in an attempt to determine which is the "better" overall route for creating an assault squad.

On one hand we have 107 points for a Carapaced command squad, consisting of a Heroic Senior Officer with powerweapon, 2 Guardsmen armed with Laspistols and CCWs, one flamer guardsman, a medic, and a commissar with powerfist. 6 models total.

On the other hand, 220 points gives us Carapace Armored High command with 2 close-combat servitors (CCW and Powerfist), 4 flamer Guardsmen, a Medic with Laspistol and CCW, 2 Scribes Historicus, and 2 Batmen. 12 models total, and the ability to give Counterattack to any unit within 12" of a Scribe.

Which would people recommend over the other for purposes of assaulting things? Or is there a third model I'm not aware of? Would adding a Priest to either unit be worth the trouble?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Which is better for melee? Command Squad vs. High Command?

How is your Heroic Senior Officer + Commissar only coming out to 107 points? The two choices without wargear cost more than that. Are you using an alternative list?

I'm not familiar with the High command choice, is it located in one of the Imperial Armor books?

Have you seen the recent posting about using Veteran squads as an assault unit? It's well written and worth the read. They can make very good, cheap assault units.

That said, the second unit you propose sounds like it will fare better in CC. A priest can be a double edged sword, but if you work around the difficulties it can be a very worthwhile addition to an assault squad. Be sure to splurge for the Eviscerator if you do include him, as extra power fist attacks are almost always a good thing.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
How is your Heroic Senior Officer + Commissar only coming out to 107 points? The two choices without wargear cost more than that. Are you using an alternative list?

I'm not familiar with the High command choice, is it located in one of the Imperial Armor books?

Have you seen the recent posting about using Veteran squads as an assault unit? It's well written and worth the read. They can make very good, cheap assault units.

That said, the second unit you propose sounds like it will fare better in CC. A priest can be a double edged sword, but if you work around the difficulties it can be a very worthwhile addition to an assault squad. Be sure to splurge for the Eviscerator if you do include him, as extra power fist attacks are almost always a good thing.
I screwed up the math...forgot to add the Commissar, whom is an additional 60 points for the first squad...
Old 28 Feb 2008, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The High command was in WD 306 as a chapter approved but it's not a legal option for tournys.

for that reason I would go command squad not high command besides you HAVE to take a normal command squad.

the normal command squad comes out to 112 pts with out a commissar and thats with the carapace armor doctrine and the only vet is your medic. or did you take a JO w/ honorific?

if you buy carapace for everyone the command sqaud comes out to 124 pts but you have 2 vets but the flamer doesn't get carapace

then you have to add in the 60+ pts for you power fisted commissar
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote