Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Remnants
Old 24 Feb 2008, 10:33   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Remnants

Okay. So yesterday Crisis was playing with an IG player (the one who flame him for being in TO), the IG player use the remnants rules for some reason and it was still round 2. He use those troops to deepstrike. Also that IG player's army list he doesn't have the full 10 men squad.

Got any explanations for this use of the remnants rule?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 18:17   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Remnants

well the remnant rule means that after you take your full platoon requirements you can add in a less then normal squad.

If he did not use his two full squads of ten then it was illegal.
He can drop them using the drop troop rules.
Theblackprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

To help clarify what Theblackprince said:

Unless using Grenadier doctrines - which Remnants doesn't apply too, and they can't Deep Strike when taken as Troops choice - he has to take at least 1 Infantry Platoon (the other two troop choices are limited 1 per Infantry Platoon taken)

An Infantry Platoon counts as a single troops choice, and consists of a Command squad (5 models) and 2-5 infantry squads of 10 models each. Once deployed, they function as independent units. The entire Infantry Platoon must roll for reserves together as a single roll - you must deploy all of the platoon when it deploys, you cannot hold part of it in reserve.

Remnants - once the minimum of a command and two 10-man infantry squads are met, a remnant squad may be made with between 5 and 9 models, and while it is not allowed a heavy weapon, it is allowed other choices.

Drop Troops doctrine (using doctrines imposes restrictions) allows Infantry Platoons to use Deep Strike, but ONLY in missions that allow it. In other words, it is used normally.

In other words, to have Remnants, he needed at least a 5 man command squad, two 10-man squads, and then he can have a remnant squad - all as a SINGLE troops choice (other 2 troops choices are a conscript platoon of 20-50 models, or an armoured fist of 10 models + chimera, and as mentioned are limited to 1 of each per Infantry Platoon). To deep strike he'd need to take Deep Strike doctrine, hold the entire Platoon in reserve, and then roll for it together as reserves normally. They could then all enter the board or Deep Strike (some could deep strike, some could enter normally, and they can all go to different locations).

Sounds like this other players' army choice was illegal, and he was cheating. If he wasn't doing it deliberately, then he sure didn't read his codex correctly.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 06:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Maine, you're dead on about everything except the deepstrike part. Part of a platoon is allowed to deepstrike while rest can be deployed normally. I know its dirty, and I thought it ridiculous when someone showed me I could do that. I forget exactly where the wording was that let youd do that....
Old 25 Feb 2008, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Maine, you're dead on about everything except the deepstrike part. Part of a platoon is allowed to deepstrike while rest can be deployed normally. I know its dirty, and I thought it ridiculous when someone showed me I could do that. I forget exactly where the wording was that let youd do that....
I didn't see any overriding note in the FAQ, but I'll look again. The Infantry Platoon does specifically say the entire unit is deployed at the same time, and they roll for reserves collectively, but are not required to deploy within a certain range of each other and act as independent units after deployment.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Okay, I found it myself. Its actually in the codex under drop troops: "Any guard infantry unit without a transport or sentinel squadron may deepstrike if the mission permits".

Going by RAW, a guard infantry unit isn't the platoon as a whole but the actual squad in the platoon, so you can pick and choose between squads.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Okay, I found it myself. Its actually in the codex under drop troops: "Any guard infantry unit without a transport or sentinel squadron may deepstrike if the mission permits".

Going by RAW, a guard infantry unit isn't the platoon as a whole but the actual squad in the platoon, so you can pick and choose between squads.
But does allowing them to deep strike allow separating them from deploying with their unit, which they must normally do? It isn't explicitly allowed, and I'd argue whether it's even implied to be allowed. I know by this some can deep strike and some can enter table edge normally, but I think its arguable whether it means "you can put some squads in the platoon on the table at the start, then deep strike the rest of the squads in the platoon on a later turn."