Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Doctrines for Volcano Guard.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 20:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Doctrines for Volcano Guard.

I'm going to make a guard army from a planet of my own making called Hellaina. It's a lava/volcano world with a lot of mineral deposits, mining operations, and manufacturing capacities. It can produce it's own food in the highly fertile areas around a volcano when it's dorment. The surface is about 90% ash wastes and the rest is made up of active or dormant volcanos, with lots of lava flows across the landscape.

anyway my question is what doctrines do you think I shoul take based on the fluff given? I have some ideas already but I want to see what everyone here thanks before I post my own ideas.

note it doesn't have to be the full five doctrines, just the ones you think fits with the background.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Doctrines for Volcano Guard.

Hmm, with your description, the following doctrines spring to my mind:

Techpriest Engineseers - If the world has significant manufacturing and mining facilities, chances are good that the Adeptus Mechanicus has a strong presence there. That's not always the case, of course, but it could work.

Mechanized might also work for the reasons above.

Chem-inhalers - The atmosphere of your world probably isn't too hospitable, and re-breathers could be common. Chems in the re-breathers wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Carapace armor - Hostile Enviro-suits, easily manufactured with the planet's mineral resources.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 21:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with some of IcyCools, the planet is probally highly wealthy so there equipment must be top notch.

Techpriest- what he said
Veterans- the place is fairly hostile with all of those orks, veterans definatly
Xeno Fighters Orks- I just see orks being drawn to this world for a reason.
Cameoline- They have camo that easily blends in with the magma
Heavy Weapons- Plowing tanks threw molten hot lava dosent seem to good of an idea.

I would also recomend giving them a hawain warrior theme.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mechinized doesn't seem to work with all the lava flows neither does tanks. I'll probally have a few because they have been shipped off world.

No techpriests because mainly above there won't be many tanks to fix(so only a few techies in the regiment and they are to valuable to risk on the front lines.)

don't like the idea of chem-inhalers(something just doesn't seem right about it)

where does Xeno fighters orks come from?(really wondering here)

cameoline and carapace armor are interesting ideas that I hadn't thought of.

light infantry, and heavy weapon squads were what I came up with. I was planning to give my cadians an alternate color sceme that I came up with on the army painter for DoW dark crusade.

maybe drop troops because there are very few land routes across the surface? maybe drop troops, carapace, heavy weapon squads(arms manufactoring to provide the weapony), die-hards(surrounded and/or cut off b/c of lava flows so they can't retreat rather than extra brave, though they would be), special weapon squads

or

light infantry, camoline(because you can't take carapace), heavy weapon squads, and two others.

any ideas welcome the two previous post gave some good advice I think(even if I shot down a few ideas there were some I hadn't thought of) like carapace armor.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I could just imagine there being alot of orks there, its just my mind thinking of fluff. Just drop the ork hunters and then add rough riders or special weapon squads. Rough riders are probally able to jump gaps of lava and not roll right into them and be burned to death like a tank would.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Drop Troops. Two seperate reasons:

1) Mountainous and treacherous ground terrain lends to a more air-trasporty feel, so there'll be pilots, and the miltitary would likely travel by air more often. Dropping in from the sky seems very plausible (or alternatively, grenadier force with lots of valkyrie transports if you had the money)

2) Tunnellers. If the planet uses alot of high level mining tech, they're the perfect candidate for the rarer form of droptroop listed in the codex (if you hadnt guessed already, i mean the ones that arrive via tunneling vehicles).

Not really a doctrine, but I'd definately stick almost entirely (probably even forget about the "almost") to meltas and flamers in the special weapon department. Just fits in so well with the theme.

The cameleoline idea isn't bad either for blending into the terrain. I wouldn't go with light infantry though. This regiment sounds like its made up of too many huge, miner, badass guys for that. An under-used doctrine that could be cool: warrior weapons, maybe combined with hardened fighters.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 08:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think Ogryn squads fit nicely into your theme, they would be widely used as mining work crews so there would be a higher proportion of them in the planet's population.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 09:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Rough riders could be cool, especially if you used salamanders from the Lizardmen range, they'd really fit the volcanic background, however they're quite expensive. :P
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

umm, i think the drop troops is a very cool idea (i just ghave the picture of guardsmen with metalic sort of wings tied to their back riding the thermals : ???)

and definatly grenadiers. the thought of big strong miners not lugging around big guns and armour just doesn't go right with me.

rough riders - to jusmp and slide around the lava flows, im thinking ATV's or dirt bikes

chem-inhalors.i know you said that you don't particlulrly like the idea of them, but the air is bound to be bad. you could just forget about the bit of fluff where they are used for narcotics. just imagine that they are used to filter out the bad gasses and just provides a mmixture of pure air that sends them high
Old 21 Feb 2008, 03:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I tried out my doctrines in a game against eldar.

I took Drop troops, carapace armor, hardened fighters, special weapon squads and heavy weapon squads.

the one thing that surprised me was that I only had, a command squad(HSO w/ powerfist,master vox, medic, 2 flamers), special weapon squad(2 meltas and a demo charge), 2 platoons w/ command and 2 squads, and a sentinal with multi-laser. Not only was the army incredibly small but I had no heavy weapon teams.

my opponent had a squad of Dire avengers(10), swooping hawks(5 and exarch), guardians(10 strong, warlock, and platform), falcon, harlies(shadowseer and master and 2 fusion and 2 kisses, so 6 in total, I think), a farseer and Yeial(sp? anyway the special character)

Anyway I still won so it was a happy day.

So I'll probally go with these doctriness

Drop Troopers for previous reasons
Carapace armor- High resource and industial planet, so can equip their guardsmen with surperior flak armor and balistic cloth.
Hardened Fighters- they are better trained in melee because they are used to fighting both underground where the fighting is close in and above ground with low visibility because of the ash storms cause closer in fights
special and heavy weapon squads- the planet Hellaina produces large quantities of weapons and because their guardsmen cannot use the tanks produced because of environmental conditions they are equiped with greater numbers of more specialized weaponry.

anyway thinks for your help guys. If there is anything else you think be a good Idea tell me the final doctrine list isn't set in stone but I'll need a good reason to change it. I'll post a battle report here if people are interested.

Edit: forgot to say the battle was 1000pts