Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Allies Question.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Allies Question.

Is it possible for a Guard player to take Allied Contingents from both Daemonhunters and Witchhunters simultaneously? If so, then how do taking them as allies work?

-Can onetake 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elites, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack from Daemonhunters, and the same number from Witchhunters?
-Are these slots split between both factions?
-For each troops choice from the main army, can one take only one allied unit, or one allied unit per allied contingent? (e.g. if I had 4 Guard Platoons, could I take 4 allies from Witchhunters and 4 from Daemonhunters, or would I only be able to take 4 allies, split between Daemonhunters and Witchhunters).
Old 17 Feb 2008, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Allies Question.

There are no explicit cross-codex limits as of the current ruleset. You just need to make sure you are honoring the limits of both books, and also that you aren't going over the normal FOC limits (so it is never possible to take two Inquisitor Lords in an IG army, since you need at least one HQ and two Troops from the IG codex).

In practice, I would avoid it in smaller games. If your army is low on actual Guard units, you can always use one of the Inquisition books as the base and then take Inducted Guard units or Stormtroopers.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

but failing two inquisitor lords, how about a lord, and a normal inquisitor?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is only for larger games that don't reach Apocalypse levels; since a Normal Inquisitor is an Elites, I don't see why it should be a problem...

The thing is I'm using the assorted mix of Guard, Allies, etc. to represent Gue'vesa'la. Thus there will be some...interesting proxies to say the least. At the moment, I'm thinking of using the Crusaders Rules and Hereticus Inquisitor to represent an Ethereal/Shas'ui bladewarriors (in this case, the bladewarriors are simply armed with dual powerweapons and have shield generators on their backs) meant to command the humans...it's a concept I'm still working on.

Another question I have though, is how does one take Priests from Witchhunters? Do they count against the number of Allies you can normally take? Can a Priest join a normal Guard Squad if the core army is Guard? Etc.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 11:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm using sometimes Witchhunters as allies, a trio of Death-cult assassins hidden in your Guard lines can be a nasty surprise to anyone. An Inquisitor Lord allows you to field fourth heavy tank, so he's worth considering, too. In general, though, unless you like SOB's, Daemonhunters have all the stuff you need that Witchhunters have, and then some. They have LR Crusaders, terminator armour, you name it.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 02:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't actually LIKE SoBs but the thing is I'm trying to build a Guevesala army, and am using the assorted models for proxy purposes (e.g. the Sister Heroine with Blessed Weapon becomes an Armored Ethereal with Imbued Honor Blade, and her Celestians are a Shas'ui guard...), but some of the stats don't match properly...some stuff works better than others though, with assorted Inquisitor units making for a mix of Tau Commanders with Drone Bodyguards and such...(thinking of a Malleus Inquisitor being a Drone Commander with three Heavy Bolter Drones or so).
Old 20 Feb 2008, 03:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't see a problem with it. Since the Lost and the Damned list got retired, mixed Inquisition lists are probably the best for exotic "counts-as" armies.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote