Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interested in playing a Gue'vesa Auxiliary list.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 00:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Interested in playing a Gue'vesa Auxiliary list.

Hello alls; as a fan of unconventional army types (Rogue Trader exploration fleets, Squats, etc), part of me has always wanted to do a Gue'vesa'la army. At the moment, I'm trying to think of how to model such a force however, both army composition-wise and doctrine-wise.

I remember the GW recommendation for Gue'vesa'la and part of me doesn't really agree with it. In particular, the Ork Hunters rules are overtly limiting. At the moment, I'm trying to as accurately Tau'i'fy them as possible...doctrines I'm considering include:

-Carapace Armor (modified Fire-warrior armor for the Gue'vesa'la)
-Afriel Strain (requires the extra Abhuman Doctrine point; used to represent a human version of the Talissera (sp) Bonding Rite, as well as the Imperium having Preferred Enemy against them.
-Veterans (for Gue'vesa'ui)
-Nightsiders (to represent some units being upgraded with Blacksun Filters).

Additionally, the army would use allies from either the Kroot Mercenary list, or a different form of ally (modified to represent battlesuit humans or so; Deathwatch Crisis Suits maybe?).

Any suggestions? Is the use of the White Dwarf doctrines too crippling for the sake of army fluff?
Old 17 Feb 2008, 01:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Interested in playing a Gue'vesa Auxiliary list.

A gue`vesa list, with kroot mercenaries? why not?

you cover the best of both worlds, a cheap shooting force, and a cheap close combat force.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Good concept! I too like the unconventional armies. I also like your use of the abhuman docterines. I can't wait to see some of these guys!
Old 20 Feb 2008, 04:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Atm, I am 2 hours away from my army, and probably won't get a chance to work with them until spring break. However, army-wise, I am thinking some things would be more prominent than others.

Troops: The vast majority of these would be rank-and-file troopers armed in hybridzed Flak/Firewarrior armor (based on the Cadian line). The 4+ save is partially explained by superior Tau materials science. Instead of pulse-rifles, some of them carry Tau Fusion Blasters or flamers, although some autocannons exist (although I'm thinking of modding the autocannons into missile-pod batteries or so). Aside from those, maybe some Armored Fist units or so...

For an HQ, I'm thinking perhaps a Celestian Squad with Canoness to represent an armored Ethereal and Shas'ui bodyguard. In this case, the Bolters are Pulse Rifles modified to sacrifice range and raw damage for fragile penetration force (the Divine Guidance faith power), and equipped with temporary squad shields. The Canoness is the Ethereal, and wields a powerful Honour Blade (Blessed Weapon), and Fusion Pistol (tau-ified of course); this is aside from the normal Command Squad of course. Give them an immolator for fun.

For an Elite choice, aside from the Veterans (which have even more Tau gear, as well as trophies, shotguns, etc), other units would include a human Drone Controller with Heavy Bolter Drones (Ordo Malleus Inquisitor), and either a second unit of Celestians/Shas'ui or a unit of Arco-flagellants (combat drones). Yet another immolator.

For fast attack, Hellhounds mainly. That or a Dominion Squad (more Shas'ui) in an Immolator.

I like immolators.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 11:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

i've always thought the grenadiers doctrine would be good for them, the extra powered guns would be good for representing Tau modified imperial weapons, plus you can use them as troops... maybe i'm just being stupid.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote