Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troops
Old 15 Feb 2008, 01:46   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Drop Troops

Morning all,
I've been fairly interested in Drop Troops for a while and am pondering creating a DT regiment or DT support for my Guard army (even though I'd struggle to make them different from other Guard regiments and not being able to afford Elysians...), so I would like to ask a couple of questions.

How exactly are Drop Troops used in the Imperial Guard armies? Am I right in thinking they drop down into enemy held territory and then hold out until relieved by the advancing Imperial Guard forces? Are they used to gather intelligence on enemy positions or launch rapid assaults or counter assaults? And one of my main questions; are they used as reserves, being dropped in support of other Imperial formations that are in need of support?

Also, a couple of questions about gear. What gear do Drop Troops normally have with them? I'm guessing visors at least, and what about respirators? Does it depend on how high they are dropped from and the atmosphere as to whether they'd use them or not? (eg. sky divers only really need helmets and glasses)
And lastly, what type of uniform is a Drop Trooper likely to have? Would they be camouflaged against the sky or against the terrain they were landing in, as that would be where they'd do their fighting. I can see arguments for both but I'm inclined to say ground camo...

Sorry its so long, I just want to find out as much as I can from a fluff perspective before I decide whether they're a possibility or not. THanks for any information you can give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Drop Troops

Drop Troops work like regular Guard but with mobility emphasized over brute strength. So for you questions yes for most of them. Drop troops could be dropped into a war zone as shock troops, near an objective to observe/take & hold, or inserted nearby an enemy to wage guerrilla warfare. Depends on the mission & regiment MO.

Need something taken out, there's the direct approach. Need to distract an enemy, suddenly having a regiment or more of soldiers harassing the flanks is very distracting. Rapid assault is a big use for Drop Troops but counter assault is limited to reinforcing a line or blunting an advance to provide more time for the response from slower units.

Take the Harakoni. They're heavy infantry that go more for the direct approach or can flip & coordinate with other regiments & take out specific threats/obstacles to heavy vehicles. Then there's the Elysians. They take a more light infantry/guerrilla tact. Drop in behind the lines with no support & they operate like that for however long they have to. Of course if they need support they've got that in the form of the Imperial Navy.

Gear is pretty much the same as a normal Guardsman but you have to carry more than usual if its expected to be used for an extended amount of time. Respirators are standard for all Guard since you never know what you'll encounter. If the location is in a remote spot, you've got to carry all your gear/stash it in containers since you don't have regular supply lines.

As for camo, how long do you expect them to be dropping? Just stick with ground camo. On type you should note is grey/urban camo. Grey is used by military aircraft because it blends in with a large variety of weather conditions in the skies. So if its near urban areas, mountainous terrain, or something where it fits, then the benefit of blending with the sky is an added bonus.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 22:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're creative, however, then Drop Troops could in theory be used to represent other types of methods for deep-striking. One example could be miners from a mining world whom drill their way to the battlefield from underground, or teleportal-troopers (Beam me Up Scotty!); mechanically it's all the same but it can add some extra flavor and backstory to your army.

From there, it depends on what type of army you want to do. Fluff-wise for instance, if you're going for something like "Black-ops Guard" then one way of representing them would be to use the following doctrines.

"Abhumans" (not actually Abhumans)
"Night Fighters" (The average trooper carrying IR Goggles or something else...)
"Drop Troopers" (alternate with Light Infantry if you wish...but you could represent it as "Black Helicopters" or so)
"Chameloline" (Active Camo)
(Either Veterans or Special Weapons Squads)

This is not a "tournament" doctrine combo, for there are far more efficient ways to use Doctrines, but this is just one way to represent how to do Guard in a unique manner.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Drop Troops work like regular Guard but with mobility emphasized over brute strength. So for you questions yes for most of them. Drop troops could be dropped into a war zone as shock troops, near an objective to observe/take & hold, or inserted nearby an enemy to wage guerrilla warfare.
Sounds good!

Quote:
Take the Harakoni. They're heavy infantry that go more for the direct approach or can flip & coordinate with other regiments & take out specific threats/obstacles to heavy vehicles. Then there's the Elysians. They take a more light infantry/guerrilla tact. Drop in behind the lines with no support & they operate like that for however long they have to. Of course if they need support they've got that in the form of the Imperial Navy.
So are you implying that generally drop troops are classed into two separate types, light infantry and heavy infantry? Heavy infantry drop in for quick assaults and to support ground based regiments, while Light infantry drop into enemy territory and take out key points of the enemy defense?

Quote:
Gear is pretty much the same as a normal Guardsman but you have to carry more than usual if its expected to be used for an extended amount of time. Respirators are standard for all Guard since you never know what you'll encounter. If the location is in a remote spot, you've got to carry all your gear/stash it in containers since you don't have regular supply lines.

As for camo, how long do you expect them to be dropping? Just stick with ground camo. On type you should note is grey/urban camo. Grey is used by military aircraft because it blends in with a large variety of weather conditions in the skies. So if its near urban areas, mountainous terrain, or something where it fits, then the benefit of blending with the sky is an added bonus.
So they'd take respirators with them so they are prepared for all situations? Sounds like more conversion difficulties... I'm thinking about buying (or making) some drop canisters anyway as objectives regardless of whether I get any Drop Troops or not. As for camo, I was just asking because drop troopers would be most vulnerable while dropping through the air, yet ground camo would also be of use to allow them to operate easier once they land. I generally don't theme armies to urban though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
If you're creative, however, then Drop Troops could in theory be used to represent other types of methods for deep-striking. One example could be miners from a mining world whom drill their way to the battlefield from underground, or teleportal-troopers (Beam me Up Scotty!); mechanically it's all the same but it can add some extra flavor and backstory to your army.
I was considering other methods like teleportation, but I'm starting to collect AI, so one of the main reasons I'm interested in Drop Troops is the potential interaction between the two games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
From there, it depends on what type of army you want to do. Fluff-wise for instance, if you're going for something like "Black-ops Guard" then one way of representing them would be to use the following doctrines.

"Abhumans" (not actually Abhumans)
"Night Fighters" (The average trooper carrying IR Goggles or something else...)
"Drop Troopers" (alternate with Light Infantry if you wish...but you could represent it as "Black Helicopters" or so)
"Chameloline" (Active Camo)
(Either Veterans or Special Weapons Squads)
I don't have access to alternative doctrines (unless they're posted up somewhere on the internet). I have considered making my Guard regiment a more elite force with visors that adjust to light levels and display tactical information (such as the ones used by IN pilots) and I was thinking about using the Sharpshooters doctrine to represent the targetting information (if it would be viable gaming-wise). I haven't heard about Abhumans or Night Fighters but I have thought about using the Cameloline doctrine to represent camouflage...

My main hesitation about collecting Drop troops, is being able to convert them distinguishably and I like the personality and humanity in Guard's faces and don't know I want to cover them all with visors and respiration masks (though I could have that lying on the torso like Elysians). I'm also not sure about the practicality of the tunics on the Cadian models. Anyone know good ways to distinguish them from normal forces?

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 17 Feb 2008, 10:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Quote:
So are you implying that generally drop troops are classed into two separate types, light infantry and heavy infantry? Heavy infantry drop in for quick assaults and to support ground based regiments, while Light infantry drop into enemy territory and take out key points of the enemy defense?
Not necessarily. I was referring to the fact they can work independently or coordinate with another Imperial force as well as mentioning their different styles.

Drop troops are based around the foot soldier. While heavy infantry goes well with assaults thanks to the additional punishment they can take, light infantry can do just as well in assault. Speed and surprise can make up for lack of armor.

If you want to make a carapace based company that does strategic missions, a light infantry company that harasses a larger enemy, or an elite force that does does raids from Valkyrie dropships its up to you.

Quote:
Quote:

So they'd take respirators with them so they are prepared for all situations? Sounds like more conversion difficulties... I'm thinking about buying (or making) some drop canisters anyway as objectives regardless of whether I get any Drop Troops or not. As for camo, I was just asking because drop troopers would be most vulnerable while dropping through the air, yet ground camo would also be of use to allow them to operate easier once they land. I generally don't theme armies to urban though...
Thats cool, its your army after all. Going off what MagicJuggler mentioned, the Drop Troops aren't always 'dropping.' They could be rappling from dropships, teleporting like you said, or dropping in a solid pod from a low flying ship a la Drop Pods (obviously it wouldn't be as sophisitcated an Astartes version but a crude tub that is based of a lifeboat isn't too far fetched.) In the last case, you wouldn't have to worry about camo schemes for the sky at all.

As for the respirators, you don't have to place them on the soldiers, it could be hidden away in their kit. Ask people who've had to wear the things. Not many will tell you they enjoyed the experience & often didn't wear them unless there was the possibility that it was necessary. Combine that with the fact that it dulls your senses, many will just keep it close if there's cause for concern.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 08:08   #6 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Quote:
Not necessarily. I was referring to the fact they can work independently or coordinate with another Imperial force as well as mentioning their different styles.

Drop troops are based around the foot soldier. While heavy infantry goes well with assaults thanks to the additional punishment they can take, light infantry can do just as well in assault. Speed and surprise can make up for lack of armor.

If you want to make a carapace based company that does strategic missions, a light infantry company that harasses a larger enemy, or an elite force that does does raids from Valkyrie dropships its up to you.
Ok. I was just wondering whether Heavy Infantry are more likely to be used in an aggressive assault drop style while Light Infantry would more use dropping as a means to infiltrate the enemy position rather than an attack method itself. Aside from that, I'm a bit uncertain about the Carapace armour, as I've heard members on here say that Drop Troops are likely to wear lighter armour and minimise the weight while dropping and that the Harakoni are possibly a differing force in that they wear Carapace.

[hr]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Quote:

Thats cool, its your army after all. Going off what MagicJuggler mentioned, the Drop Troops aren't always 'dropping.' They could be rappling from dropships, teleporting like you said, or dropping in a solid pod from a low flying ship a la Drop Pods (obviously it wouldn't be as sophisitcated an Astartes version but a crude tub that is based of a lifeboat isn't too far fetched.) In the last case, you wouldn't have to worry about camo schemes for the sky at all.

As for the respirators, you don't have to place them on the soldiers, it could be hidden away in their kit. Ask people who've had to wear the things. Not many will tell you they enjoyed the experience & often didn't wear them unless there was the possibility that it was necessary. Combine that with the fact that it dulls your senses, many will just keep it close if there's cause for concern.
Well, as I have said, I do want to use the Valkyrie if I do use Drop Troops, as that would make games of Aeronautica Imperialis a lot more interesting. So I suppose that limits deep striking to Grav Chutes, Parachuting or Rapelling (or the good old unload on the ground, then take off).

I do like your thoughts regarding the respirator and it would be provide squad variety with some hanging around necks, others on and other stowed away. If only similar flexibility could be used with the visors, although I suppose some of them can always be raised (though that might contradict the Sharpshooters idea).

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"