Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Officers with Powerfists?
Old 02 Feb 2008, 04:38   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Officers with Powerfists?

Right, well I'm considering a Mechanised army and have been looking around for models to use in my Command Squad. There's the standard GW one but that officer is commonly used and doesn't have the look I'm going for. I could use a Cadian metal JO, but they don't stand out as much. Forgeworld make a nice Command Squad but they're officer is equipped with a power fist. Besides this he looks quite nice. However, I have heard people say that it's not worth giving him a powerfist. So my question is, is a powerfist ever worth it on a SO (or HSO)? And if so, in what circumstances?

(BTW I plan to use him a bit for leadership)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 05:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Officers with Powerfists?

Me personally I'm not a fan of a guard powerfist although they do really hurt any person you fight. They just arn't worth it in the end, especially for a mechanised army if your running around in tanks you won't have no way near the time to fight a combat in a mechanized army every man is precious. Power sword S3, cheap ignores armor saves and strikes at initiative order good for an average HSO. If you really want a power fist juice your men with close combat weapons but really, your HQ is for leadership not CC especially with mechanized. Good luck man.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 05:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

The issue with Officers and powerfists isn't over their stat line, it's more to do with the fact that he's an indepentdant character. A canny opponent will take advantage and be sure to direct as many attacks as possible against him and put him out of the fight before he gets to use the damn thing. Powerfists are best used on Commissars, veteran sergeants and priests (not really a powerfist, but the eviscerator), where you can hide them away behind piles of bodies, safe from any real reprisal.
Old 02 Feb 2008, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Many times have I heard this said.
Most people think guard have no power in melee.
I am there rude wake up call.
I use fists alot , along with advisers.
A chaos player was actually afraid to charge my command squad with eight khornites!
A hso, with fist, Psyker with honurifica and force weapon, commissar with fist priest with eviscerater.
Now give them all bionics, carapace armour and a medallion crimson and you have the ultimate close combat command squad. with doctrines (close order drill, iron discipline hardened fighters etc.) they can be even more powerfull.
however they can run up points so i only use them in 1500 or above matches.
They never let me down. guard have supprising melee prowess if used correctly.

First thing first, but not necessarily in that order! - Doctor Who

Fight well and Die well. What more can a guardsmen hope for?

Duality is key, good and evil, dark and light, only when both come toghether can man truly prosper.- Lord Bale

No matter what you do to me I am safe in the knowledge that nobody cares about me anyway!
Psyker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyker11
A chaos player was actually afraid to charge my command squad with eight khornites!
I play Chaos as well, and I would charge you. That's because it's always better to charge than to be charged by these monstrosities. In my opinion, an HQ created for close combat, with a Commissar and Priest (both with power fists), will wipe out anything on charge, Khornites or not. Damn re-rolling hits...
But giving a power fist to an actual Officer...? I'm not convinced.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use a HSO with powerfist in a unit with a Priest w/Eviserator. I find that the S6 hits work wonders in counter attacking, especially with the re-roll hits. I've taken down everything from terminators, to demon princes with them. I usually also give them Hardened fighters. The unit is moderately low costing, but can be very decisive if you are charged. against armies that don't come at me, He still makes a good leadership bubble.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 20:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I remember this one battle when my friend foolishly deep striked termies (not sure if they were GK's). He was trying to kill the guard bassie, the guard player didnt like that so he sent out his power fist offcer and retinue, the command team killed 4 or 5 termies, broke them chased, them down, killed another 3, and ran them off the table. All in all, i think what level player and what army you face decides on the usefullnes of a power fisted officer. If your using him for LD them i would just make them a shooty squad, why throw the command structure of a lowly human stat line into combat when you have plasma guns, heavy bolters, etc.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 09:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyker11
Many times have I heard this said.
Most people think guard have no power in melee.
I am there rude wake up call.
I use fists alot , along with advisers.
A hso, with fist, Psyker with honurifica and force weapon, commissar with fist priest with eviscerater.
Now give them all bionics, carapace armour and a medallion crimson and you have the ultimate close combat command squad. with doctrines (close order drill, iron discipline hardened fighters etc.) they can be even more powerfull.
however they can run up points so i only use them in 1500 or above matches.
They never let me down. guard have supprising melee prowess if used correctly.
Great...so 362 points then for an eight-strong unit that still strikes last in close combat and still gets cuts to ribbons by heavy bolter fire. You have your uber command squad then and I'll meet it in battle with a couple full-strength heavily armed footslogging marine assault squads for the same price and we'll see how long the fight lasts shall we? I get the distinct impression you haven't thought this through. :P
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 13:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I used to take uber close combat squads, until i figured they made better shooty units.
Lets say we take your standard JO, we equip him with bolter and plasma pistol, 3 Guardsmen can have plasmaguns, and a medic with bolter and plasmapistol, the only doctrine upgrade I take for this unit is carapace armour, it comes to 112pts i think, a unit that can kill 8 terminators in one shooting phase (if your in close), the medic allows you to ignore a fatal overheat and you have 4+ saves to make to save your from the nasty overheats otherwise.
I tried this tactic today and they scorched some carnifexes, although failed to kill either of the monstrosities (1 wound left each grrrrr, but i was plain unlucky).
If your in need of dedicated assault units, borrow some from our inquisitorial allies, like archo flaggelants, assassins etc, but the guards main strength is withering fire power.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 14:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Great...so 362 points then for an eight-strong unit that still strikes last in close combat and still gets cuts to ribbons by heavy bolter fire. You have your uber command squad then and I'll meet it in battle with a couple full-strength heavily armed footslogging marine assault squads for the same price and we'll see how long the fight lasts shall we? I get the distinct impression you haven't thought this through. :P
Maybe he didn't, maybe he did, but this "uber command squad" has huge cannons behind their backs, while Marines haven't. It's not the point that those HQs are great points value, the point is they are a very nasty surprise to anyone who expects fighting tanks and massed infantry. I can assure you Tom, such HQs really, really hurt when you are playing marines.
Bear in mind though that I only play big battles (3500+ points), so it might be a bit different.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote