Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Engineseers, viable elite choice?
Old 27 Jan 2008, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Engineseers, viable elite choice?

I am thinking of putting 2 engineseers into my army.

With servitors you can equip them with some pretty serious firepower.

Are these guys worth taking?

clrk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 22:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Engineseers, viable elite choice?

Depends- if they can heal your vehicles, maybe. THey are very fluffy and look awesome, though, so I'd say yes just on that.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Depends on the list you will be using them with, if you have enough heavy weapons then just get a sneaky squad of suicide vets.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Remember, because of the infinite wisdom of GW, you can only give them as many servitors as their wargear allows. Read the FAQ, its in there.

Completely contradicting the Codex, which states that it does not use up wargear points :
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 00:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

For the purposes of repairing vehicles, Enginseers aren't worth what you pay for them. As heavy weapons teams, they're utterly worthless.

A tidy little package with loads of firepower certainly...but the majority armour save is 4+ and they have no spare bods to soak up the fire. They have the life expectancy of a jam doughnut in a weight watchers convention.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

haha, i like that analogy, infact its going to be sig'ed (if you don't mind)

i agree, is nice as tech preists are on paper, they don't add up. Yeah so what if they can repair Vehicles, do you think the Imperium really cares so much about one little skirmish and one chimera when their are 20million billion up in orbit?
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I reckon they'd be more usable in a Mechanized army, since you have the protection of the tanks, plus the Engineer can hang back and repair. But having one or two where you'll have maybe three tanks or less, well, it'll be a gamble.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 23:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Apostle
I reckon they'd be more usable in a Mechanized army, since you have the protection of the tanks, plus the Engineer can hang back and repair. But having one or two where you'll have maybe three tanks or less, well, it'll be a gamble.
You need to consider how often vehicles actually suffer an armament destroyed result; you'd be surprised how rarely it occurs. Immobilization is a little more commonplace, but even then your techpriest needs to be standing right next to the vehicle in question in order to be of use. Spending two turns moving into contact with the crippled vehicle and then a third turn repairing it just isn't on (especially when repairs are by no means guaranteed). Even if the techpriest happens to be leaning nonchalantly against its hull sipping a hot cup of Joe and having a one-sided conversation with his servitor lackies when the tank takes a hit, is it really worth up to (and exceeding) half the value of the vehicle just to reverse an immoblized result or fix the battlecannon? Techpriests are for scenarios, fluff and people who really like the model. As effective units on the tabletop, they're utterly worthless.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 11:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nevermind the Wargear requirement for Servitors, nevermind that Space Marine/Daemonhunter/Witch Hunter Servitors don't use wargear for Inquistors/Techmarines. Plus the having to start the turn next to the vehicle, and only repairing on a 6+...