Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Merging squads...
Old 25 Jan 2008, 07:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Merging squads...

Hi, Anyone know how you merge two infantry squads (within a platoon) with each other? I haven't got my book with me (at work) and when I read it yesterday I found that rule rather blurry...

Thanx in advance...
t0bi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 07:55   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Merging squads...

From my understanding of the rule of remnants, if you have more than 2 infantry squads in a platoon, then you may add a third squad that is less than its maximum strength.
Giebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 09:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yes, Remnants was the name of the rule... Sometimes I wonder if Im playing my Imps right... Tricky Codex

I see... But what good will that do, adding another injured squad to a platoon? Doesnt the squads in a platoon act independently after deployment?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 11:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0bi
Yes, Remnants was the name of the rule... Sometimes I wonder if Im playing my Imps right... Tricky Codex

I see... But what good will that do, adding another injured squad to a platoon? Doesnt the squads in a platoon act independently after deployment?
There is no way to 'merge' infantry squads to make bigger units. Infantry Platoons count as single FOC choices and so deploy as one (although not necessarily within close proximity of one another), but once on the tabletop they operate independently. If you want 20+ men in a single unit, take conscipts.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2008, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

now, im not sure but what i think happens is if one platton os whiped down to 1 squad (as an example) then it can join the other platton so the other one (which say had 2 squad sin) then has three in now and you just have one platoon

im not sure as i don't have the codex, but that is what im thinking
Old 26 Jan 2008, 21:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
now, im not sure but what i think happens is if one platton os whiped down to 1 squad (as an example) then it can join the other platton so the other one (which say had 2 squad sin) then has three in now and you just have one platoon

Wow, a brand new myth, I've never heard of that one! Congrats.

No, I'm afraid a platoon reduced to a single infantry squad is nothing more than a single infantry squad. Indeed, once deployed, a 'platoon' ceases to be (from a gaming perspective) and its component units are instead simply treated as independent squads. There is nothing at all to support the notion of infantry units combining with other units or larger formations. Even if an orphaned infantry squad could join another platoon, what'd be the point? What purpose would that serve?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 16:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:

Its cheaper than buying a whole extra squad. 5 troops with a melta or flamer between them can be an annoying thorn in your opponent's side too.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:

Wow, a brand new myth, I've never heard of that one! Congrats.

No, I'm afraid a platoon reduced to a single infantry squad is nothing more than a single infantry squad. Indeed, once deployed, a 'platoon' ceases to be (from a gaming perspective) and its component units are instead simply treated as independent squads. There is nothing at all to support the notion of infantry units combining with other units or larger formations. Even if an orphaned infantry squad could join another platoon, what'd be the point? What purpose would that serve?
wel firstly, thanks for your congratulation ;D

and secondly, the idea behind my theory would be that it was a kind of VP denial method, to stop your opposition getting full VP fr that plattoon
Old 28 Jan 2008, 23:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
...the idea behind my theory would be that it was a kind of VP denial method, to stop your opposition getting full VP fr that plattoon
Victory points are awarded on the basis of unit reduction/destruction, not entire Force Organisation choices. Platoon organisation ceases to have any meaning as soon as the models hit the table. Once they're deployed, they're completely independent, having no more interaction or affiliation with one another than with any other friendly unit on the table.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:13   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Quote:

Its cheaper than buying a whole extra squad. 5 troops with a melta or flamer between them can be an annoying thorn in your opponent's side too.
Ah, I thought remnants had something to do with keeping squads at full strenght (by merging injured squads with each other) but I see now what you mean... More special weapons for a lower price! Genious!