Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured Companies
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Armoured Companies

It will be a while before I finish my Tau, but I'm looking at other armies, and I keep pausing on Armoured Companies.

They seem to be very good, but I hear they are considered very cheesy. I can't understand why. I know most normal troops can't touch them but every army can field plenty of anti-tank.

Why are they hated?

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Armoured Companies

Because if you don't know in advance that you'll be playing against an Armoured Company (like on a tournament), you'll be splattered.
Even if you know, some people consider this on par with for example, armies composed entirely of Wraithlords, fast skimmers, or Terminators, as the AC takes the most powerful elements of an army, and fills all FOC slots with them, plus gets a bag of hefty upgrades, like two Ordnance shots per gun in the first turn, or BS4 for the tanks that are great already. That pretty much sums that up.
(side note: I'm not an AC-hater).
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I don't think its even that. Most people have never seen an Armoured Company in action, so they when someone places 7 russes on the table they go "Oh. my. God. who is that possible". They just don't realize how fragile an army it actually is. Every tank you lose is a HUGE blow to your army. Where a spacemarine army can stand to lose a squad or two to a couple good ordinance hits, a couple lascannons can deal a hell of alot more damage to your army. Fighting Tau and Eldar is also really problematic for AC armies, another facor alot of people forget. All those ordinance shots don't count for much against fast moving skimmers and railguns/bright lances.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 02:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's just a shock and awe army. watching your opponent plop 10 tanks on the table is unnerving but if you don't let it get to you it's a balanced army that can easily be beat with a balanced list.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 05:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I believe you mean " shock'in AWESOME" lol.

but yea its actually not a very "hard" army, just intimidating on first glance. and getting first turn is like a gift from the Emperor himself!

actually, where I play they aren't really hated or considered cheesy, as a glance is sufficient to stop your shooting.

yep, hard to drop skimmers with AC.

its really fun tho! fast set up, fast turns, fast cleanup! easy painting, customization, its pretty sweet!

oh max those 2x ordy shots thing is from the forgeworld list, right?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 06:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
oh max those 2x ordy shots thing is from the forgeworld list, right?
Mmmm, it's the 'slick loader' ace crew skill from the armoured battlegroup list. His point still stands though; the armoured company list has some very powerful doctrines which can be a real boon if taken in moderation. 'Side skirts', 'ace gunners' and 'AT shells' are three that immediately spring to mind. Unfortunately, these doctrines do feel more like upgrades than a means to represent regimental fluff on the tabletop.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

where is this armoured company list, is it forgeworld?

and is it just gaurd(I know this sounds like a dumb question but special tau, armoured company would wipe the floor)

kunas
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 13:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes the armoured group is from Forge World IA 2 if i remember well :P.

I have a guy who actually have an Armored Company 8 tanks and various sentinels on 2000 points and i can say i see them twice in action and they are just deadly, both games against SM one against Blood angels and Ultra Marines, i can tell you if they start your army is going to be scattered he puts reroll on the scatter and have killed 3 to 4 entire units in 1 turn and the sentinels have blown at least 2 tanks, THAT in any army is just deadly.

The power they have is just to much i can say. Doh i love the idea and i really would love to have 1 armored company myself >

Plus is a great addition for an apocalypse army jeje >>
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, i really want an AC now, they just bleed coolness (although can a tank bleed?)
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilber987
Yes the armoured group is from Forge World IA 2 if i remember well :P.

I have a guy who actually have an Armored Company 8 tanks and various sentinels on 2000 points and i can say i see them twice in action and they are just deadly, both games against SM one against Blood angels and Ultra Marines, i can tell you if they start your army is going to be scattered he puts reroll on the scatter and have killed 3 to 4 entire units in 1 turn and the sentinels have blown at least 2 tanks, THAT in any army is just deadly.

The power they have is just to much i can say. Doh i love the idea and i really would love to have 1 armored company myself >

Plus is a great addition for an apocalypse army jeje >>
No, that's not right - the armoured battlegroup army list can be found in Imperial Armour 1. IA 2 deals with Space Marines and the forces of the Inquisition; it features no army lists.

Do not confuse the armoured battlegroup with the armoured company; the army list for the latter can be downloaded from Games Workshop's website.

I myself used to field eight tanks in a 1500 point list, and that was overpowered. If you're going to field a tank-heavy list, expect groans and accusations of powergaming from your opponents. It's inevitable I'm afraid, but in my opinion, the experience of commanding that much armour is just too good to pass up for fear of upsetting people.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote