Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death Korps with a different flavor.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Death Korps with a different flavor.

For a while now, I've been playing around with the idea of doing an armored company, the only think stopping me was that it, in my opinion, doesn't have a lot of oomph to it.
Today, I was looking at the few Death Korps models that I do have, and began saying to myself, "Hmmm...this squad I could use as an armored fist unit.." Then I got the idea, what if I use my Korps as an armored company.
So, I broke out the AC list, and realized that it didn't truly fit the DK style of war.
Then, I saw the doctrine for the Siege Regiment. 6 Basilisks/Griffons? Sounds Korpsy to me.
And GW has this nice Apoc box online which comes with 9 Bassies and a chimera. All that I'll ever need.

So, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this before, or has seen it done. I'm thinking of fielding 3 hellhounds to help cover my valuable arty lines.
General_Dakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Death Korps with a different flavor.

The Death Korps don't only field siege regiments, they have infantry and armored ones as well. It's just that IAvol5 only covers the siege regiments, whilst the Guard codex covers normal regiments. It's perfectly resonable to have a DKoK armored group.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Hmm interesting idea, sounds perfectly reasonable to me, also basilisks are nasty... just three of them have screwed up an entire necron army I was using once..They made all of my troops fall back and off table ¬_¬ only I can fail multiple Ld checks for necrons.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

As I recall the 19th Krieg Armoured Regiment was attached to the 4621st army for the Taros campaign, though they never actually saw action on Taros.

Don't dismiss an armoured company because, believe me, an armoured company certainly has 'oomph'! I don't see an artillery battery working on the tabletop as it'd be too fragile and would start to crumble after the second turn...but it'd be a nice theme for an army. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds cool. Be prepared for tons of cheese-cries.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 22:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
As I recall the 19th Krieg Armoured Regiment was attached to the 4621st army for the Taros campaign, though they never actually saw action on Taros.

Don't dismiss an armoured company because, believe me, an armoured company certainly has 'oomph'! I don't see an artillery battery working on the tabletop as it'd be too fragile and would start to crumble after the second turn...but it'd be a nice theme for an army. ^-^
This of course pre-supposes the idea that there'll be anything left to attack back with after turn 1. Nine indirect firing basilisks could ruin just about any army early in the game.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 23:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman

This of course pre-supposes the idea that there'll be anything left to attack back with after turn 1. Nine indirect firing basilisks could ruin just about any army early in the game.
Certainly...assuming they all hit their targets and inflict the preferred measure of damage (i.e. total). But that almost never happens. If the templates scatter which should statistically happen to 4 out of 6 basilisks, they will likely scatter the high-end distance denoted by a D6. This means infantry units are more likely to take only two or three casualties than they are to be dealt a crippling blow. It also means vehicles will likely come out completely unscathed. Nine indirect pieplates assures nothing except scornful looks from your opponent and promises of wrathful vengeance to come.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

but hang on, if you have 9 indirect firing, then you have no defence you are relying on the first turn, if the step out of their deployment zone (and trust me, they won't wait for you to come to them (even if they are tau)) then they are too close for you to shoot (other than hull mounted weps) so must surly want more in their (at least 2 infantry squads)
Old 24 Jan 2008, 09:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
but hang on, if you have 9 indirect firing, then you have no defence you are relying on the first turn, if the step out of their deployment zone (and trust me, they won't wait for you to come to them (even if they are tau)) then they are too close for you to shoot (other than hull mounted weps) so must surly want more in their (at least 2 infantry squads)
Well that's not so. Basilisks can still fire directly, even with the indirect upgrade – Firing indirectly is optional. Besides, nine Basilisks will be able to spread out down your long board edge, so those on the flanks will likely be able to fire indirectly at the opposite flank for most of the game. The point is, nine Basilisks with the indirect fire is a significant investment considering its fragility. After a turn or two the enemy will be able to start planting side armour shots and the battery will begin to disintegrate. Tanks can weather this kind of punishment, but AV10 doesn’t cut the mustard.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tom has a very good point.

Basilisks, fluff wise, take the indirect fire capability. In essence, it gives thier cannon the ability to elevate to a height far above 45 degrees, where the distance up is greater than the distance away.

While this means they can't shoot close to themselves (the cannon, even adapted, cannot go completely straight vertical), they can still simply lower thier cannon and fire off salvoes at direct targets at angles less than 45 degrees.

Just thought I'd throw in a little explanation for collective enjoyment.

By the by, it sounds like a great idea, though I'd like to see 9 Griffons instead. I know its near impossible, especially with the Basilisk pack so affordable, but hey, you can convert them, I've seen it done...

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote