Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death Korps of Krieg Last Chanser fluff
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Death Korps of Krieg Last Chanser fluff

I really like the possibilities the Last Chancers give for my army, but I play Death corps of Krieg and they dont fit in the fluff. I was thinking of a group of soldiers, who have suffered horrible injuries or have a cancer type dicease and want to go down in a big blast! Or possibly soldiers who have lost everything they hold dear and become demo-charge carrying, fearless, depressed soldiers. Basicly a volunteer suicide-squad.

Maybe I could put my command squad meltagunner who was the only survivor from a charge of a greater deamon of nurgle in this squad...
Slugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 23:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Death Korps of Krieg Last Chanser fluff

The Death Korps of Krieg are well known for their irreverence for human life. Their Grenadier squads are veterans who have consigned themselves to the fact that they're already dead men, but they just haven't stopped fighting yet (they wear the skull mask to reflect this). I think a last chancers unit fits perfectly - They could be the regiment's longest serving veterans; a unit that has lived through the most impossible odds and now fight with the understanding that death has spared them for reasons unknown and that they will die only when it is their time, no matter what they do. They know they're living on borrowed time and so fight like every breath is their last. Feared and regarded with suspicion on account of their unnatural luck, they feel guilty for not dying when other men fall so easily, and seek ever to die in battle to exonerate themselves, perhaps even to prove to themselves that they are untainted.

Such fearless and reckless men sound like the perfect candidates to carry unstable short ranged weaponry of awesome power into battle...and sodding great bombs.

"Six sixty six squad reports the bunker clear, sir."
"They're still not dead? Tenacious bastards...order them to take the next bunker down the line."
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 11:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
The Death Korps of Krieg are well known for their irreverence for human life. Their Grenadier squads are veterans who have consigned themselves to the fact that they're already dead men, but they just haven't stopped fighting yet (they wear the skull mask to reflect this). I think a last chancers unit fits perfectly - They could be the regiment's longest serving veterans; a unit that has lived through the most impossible odds and now fight with the understanding that death has spared them for reasons unknown and that they will die only when it is their time, no matter what they do. They know they're living on borrowed time and so fight like every breath is their last. Feared and regarded with suspicion on account of their unnatural luck, they feel guilty for not dying when other men fall so easily, and seek ever to die in battle to exonerate themselves, perhaps even to prove to themselves that they are untainted.

Such fearless and reckless men sound like the perfect candidates to carry unstable short ranged weaponry of awesome power into battle...and sodding great bombs.

"Six sixty six squad reports the bunker clear, sir."
"They're still not dead? Tenacious bastards...order them to take the next bunker down the line."
Karma'd. I really like that idea Tom.

My next IG army will be a motly group of Chancers OR a giant frigging SIGAFH. But thats not the point.

[hr]

Chancers can be anyone, from the hardest of veterans to just dirty low life criminals. A unit of them is EXTREMELY easy to fit into anyones fluff.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 11:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Karma'd. I really like that idea Tom.
Thanks, I'm glad somebody did. Looks like Slugga lost interest immediately after posting. :
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 12:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just being picky: while the idea is sound, how would you reason the fact that they have lower WS than any next guardsman of Krieg? They seek death and do not block enemy blows? Cheers.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Smirnov
Just being picky: while the idea is sound, how would you reason the fact that they have lower WS than any next guardsman of Krieg? They seek death and do not block enemy blows? Cheers.
Yes. Yes you are just being picky. :P
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I remember that when I was considering fielding Last Chancers with my Tarsusite XIXth (Hardened Fighters as well), I had an idea that they'll be teenage aristocrates, seeking the thrill and adventure on a field of battle (not very experienced or strong yet: -1 WS, but very aggressive, and descendants of noble houses with long martial traditions: +1 A, trained in rifle and pistol since childhood: +1 BS, access to all wargear - obvious).
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Funny this should come up, I just began The Armor of Contempt last night. I've just finished reading about the RIP Unit. It stands for Retraining, Indoctrination, Punishment. Essentially, its a unit that exists on troopcarriers to do all of the above to certain individuals from the various regiments, be they morons who need more training, children training to be Guard, or take it as a sentancing for bad behavior.
Anyways, the unit is normally emptied as the regiments near the battlezone.

However, in the book, the unit is kept together and sent immediately into battle after some sort of Reserves Activation order is given.

Therefore, you've got a healthy mix of morons, younglings, and troublemakers all in the same unit.

This unit would probably be scorned by other units, and given the crap work.

If you don't like that idea, eliminiate the first two groups, and treat it like a sort of vagabond unit; not necesarily Last Chancers, but just the very scum of the Imperial Guard who more often than not get the dirty work thrown thier way.

I'm actually beginning such a unit, so far I've got 2 Catachans with Demo charges; I'm looking in to a few more rough looking models for later on.

Good Luck!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 23:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Necromunda models would work well for such a unit.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 22:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know, everyone keeps saying that. I'd agree on the grounds that it looks like ragtag, old stolen weapons and firearms, but for some reason theres no clan that really looks great. I guess some of the Redemptionists, if thats what thier called, would make interesting priests, but aside from that (oh, the Enforcers too, those look great) I don't see any clear gang that looks great.

Now that you mention it, I think I'll take a look, see what I come up with.

Thanks for the tip,
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote