Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Salamanders are they worth it?
Reply
Old 17 Jan 2008, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,245
Default Salamanders are they worth it?

well, as the title says, are the salamander tank worth their points and stuff?
__________________
Sorry if my posts are messy or unreadable. My keyboard is naff!
warriorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

ok, so prehaps i should re word this (sorry for the double post but this can act as a bump)

so, i am going for a grenadiers theme, but this is going to expensive Pts wise, so i was wondering if salamanders are effective transports over Chimeras? if so, how should i use them?
__________________
Sorry if my posts are messy or unreadable. My keyboard is naff!
warriorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,246
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
ok, so prehaps i should re word this (sorry for the double post but this can act as a bump)

so, i am going for a grenadiers theme, but this is going to expensive Pts wise, so i was wondering if salamanders are effective transports over Chimeras? if so, how should i use them?
Salamanders don't have the ability to transport troops, sorry buddy.
I think you're referring to the Centaur, a vehicle generally reserved for the death Korps of Krieg.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
-Will Durant
Aftercresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

Considering that Salamanders have a Transport Capacity just 12 models less than the Chimera, it's really up to you... myself, I'd be using them as scout vehicles, sort of a big, fat, fast-moving Sentinel.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 05:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 551
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

yep. only fast vehicle in the IG armory. excellent for snatchin objectives or contesting quarters with a quick burst of 24 inch move! and HB + AC is nice for anti-infantry or use the AC for side shots on enemy armor.
__________________
"Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard."
-Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 06:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
yep. only fast vehicle in the IG armory. excellent for snatchin objectives or contesting quarters with a quick burst of 24 inch move! and HB + AC is nice for anti-infantry or use the AC for side shots on enemy armor.
Not true, the Centaur is also a fast vehicle. A squad of grenadiers is more durable than a Salamander for the purposes of snatching objectives at the last moment...unless someone should drop a pie plate on them. :-\
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Considering that Salamanders have a Transport Capacity just 12 models less than the Chimera, it's really up to you... myself, I'd be using them as scout vehicles, sort of a big, fat, fast-moving Sentinel.
wait waht? are you saying they can tranport troops or that they can transport 12 less than the chimera (there fore making it 0?)

and is there a way that i could get a centaur into my army then if its not DKoK
__________________
Sorry if my posts are messy or unreadable. My keyboard is naff!
warriorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
wait waht? are you saying they can tranport troops or that they can transport 12 less than the chimera (there fore making it 0?)

and is there a way that i could get a centaur into my army then if its not DKoK
He's being sarcastic. Neither Salamander variant can transport infantry.

Centaurs are a transport option for a Grenadier squad (note - Grenadiers only, not Storm Troopers); a quad mortar battery or a heavy mortar battery. See Imperial Armour 5 for full details.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

see that is where i have a problem, i don't have IA5 (too expensive for me at the minuit)

but i can have 2 centaurs then if i have 2 grenadier squad (i intend to have 4) am i right? and what is the difference? is it armour for speed? because i can work with that if it is.

(ohh and just a side question, if i use the fast rule ang go 24", can i disembark in the same turn? im pretty sure its no but i just want to check)
__________________
Sorry if my posts are messy or unreadable. My keyboard is naff!
warriorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 551
Default Re: Salamanders are they worth it?

huh didn't know the Centaur was fast...

pretty sure you cant go 24 and disembark.
__________________
"Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard."
-Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First 5 Salamanders DONE! I am Legion Showcase 40 16 May 2009 22:46
Salamanders dragoniccam Space Marines Army Lists 6 24 Sep 2006 01:26
Salamanders? Terminatus Space Marines 4 04 Sep 2006 02:20
salamanders Elstur Painting 6 28 Aug 2006 23:13
Salamanders kreative Space Marines 11 11 Jul 2006 12:12