Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Demolishers and Battle Cannons
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Demolishers and Battle Cannons

What Russ would be better
A Leman Russ with Battle cannon, Lascannon and Heavy Bolters
A Leman Russ with Demolisher cannon, Lascannon and Heavy Bolters (I would have Plasma Cannons)
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Demolishers and Battle Cannons

Well...it all depends on the structure on the rest of your army and maybe what opponents you face most often?
Would be easier to help if we knew about the build of the rest of your force
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Generally speaking, Demolishers are the better vehicle. Their short range is only really an issue for the first turn, and after that their superior armour and firepower are far more valuable than the 10 point difference in price would lead you to believe. Expensive sponsons are not a great choice in my opinion though.

Even the value of heavy bolter sponsons is dubious. I used to think they were a great addition for only 10 points, but because they can't fire at the same time as the ordnance weapon, they rarely get used at all. You'll want to fire the main gun almost every turn, and truth be told, there aren't actually all that many instances in which heavy bolters outperform the battle/demolisher cannon. They're useful on Russ variants with non-ordnance turret weapons though.

When I started out with my armoured battlegroup people used to harp on about how sponsons were critical in the event that the tank suffered an armament destroyed result, but experience has taught me that happens only rarely - certainly not often enough to warrant sponsons on that basis alone.

As I see it, plasma cannon sponsons are of even less value than heavy bolters because they're main weapons. This restricts the number of weapons that can be fired if you want to move. A pair of AP2 template weapons and a lascannon sounds very nice on paper for the purpose of Teminator hunting, but it pales in comparison to a single demolisher pie plate, and you can't fire both ordnance and all main weapons even if you're stationary, so what's the point of having those expensive extras?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with Tom. I field one Leman Russ Demolisher without sponsons so that I can use the points elsewhere. If I lose my Demolisher cannon I still use my hull-mounted flamer and can still use the tank as a scoring unit. Rarely have I had both weapons knocked out (when I get down to the flamer my opponent usually discounts it as a serious threat, which is great for me).
Also, as mentioned earlier, you can only fire an ordnance weapon on a turn, and if you move at all and decided not to fire your ordnance weapon, you would'nt be able to fire your heavy bolters along with your lascannon. Not a smart use of your points.

Good hunting...
davidgr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgr33n
I agree with Tom. I field one Leman Russ Demolisher without sponsons so that I can use the points elsewhere. If I lose my Demolisher cannon I still use my hull-mounted flamer and can still use the tank as a scoring unit. Rarely have I had both weapons knocked out (when I get down to the flamer my opponent usually discounts it as a serious threat, which is great for me).
Also, as mentioned earlier, you can only fire an ordnance weapon on a turn, and if you move at all and decided not to fire your ordnance weapon, you would'nt be able to fire your heavy bolters along with your lascannon. Not a smart use of your points.

Good hunting...
*Urk* I think you need to redress the rulebook and dust off your codex, bud. Firstly, heavy bolters are classed as defensive weapons, which means they can be fired in addition to a single main weapon if the vehicle moves up to 6" (normal speed). Secondly, the Demolisher cannot be armed with a hull-mounted heavy flamer...nor can any Russ variant for that matter.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 00:00   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I would take battle cannon with heavy bolters on both hull and sponsons. It will sit along with my heavy weapons crew and fire along with the heavy weapons and use the heavy bolters to cut down any would be assault troops.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 00:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

He's likely confused with the Chimera, which can.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
I would take battle cannon with heavy bolters on both hull and sponsons. It will sit along with my heavy weapons crew and fire along with the heavy weapons and use the heavy bolters to cut down any would be assault troops.
Wouldnt it make more sense to just shoot the battlecannon at the assault troops?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
Wouldnt it make more sense to just shoot the battlecannon at the assault troops?
along with the heavy bolters too :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

A ordnance weapon is all-or-nothing. You can't shoot it and the bolters.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote