Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General tactics used against other armies
Old 16 Jan 2008, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default General tactics used against other armies

Ok as a newbie to the game. I would like to know what tactics we IG players use against other armies? I know there may be threads like this but I'm lazt to sort through the 96 pages and I already ask the Mod if its Ok to post this question. SO, IG pros of TO, what are the strategies and tactics used against the enemies of the Imperium including rogue IG regiments and Space Marine Chapters?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 08:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: General tactics used against other armies

If you forgive me, it is mainly the composition of the Guard army you're playing that dictates strategy, as it can be vastly random. Classical non-doctrine Guard have one that works on everyone: sit back, and shoot everything stone dead with your owerwhelming firepower. Do not let them assault you, and if they do, make sure their Consolidation move doesn't catch your another squad. make sure you have 2 Leman Russes/Demolishers and a Basilisk (especially against Tau). That's the ABC of Guard tactics; everything is build from here.

Some of the other compositions are:
- CC-ish guard - less firepower than the one above, pure troops army, but effective sometimes; you hold back and pound the heads still, but can also assault or counter-assault. Won't be effective against very shooty armies, or armies composed entirely of elite CC troops.
- Droptroops - dreaded suicidal army, which drops veterans, Command squads, and SW squads by the dozen, each of them with minimum number of troops and maximum number of plasmas/meltas, going for the most expensive enemies and AT weapons. They're usually supported by tanks, which mop up everything that's left.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 16:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

if the army ure against is mainly assault stand back and blow them to bits with tanks. infultrate a couple of 60pts support squads with demo charges and snipers to generely anoy and slow down the assault. use lascanon squads to take out any transport veicle. form a solid line with normal squads and keep fiering at the enemy troops that get through the bombardement from tanks. iff the enemy does get in assault with you, send in any close comand squads or eliet squads to help them out. each comand sqaud should have a power weapon in it and even better a comissar. what REALY improves this tactic is a legendary baneblade! they can kill at least 3 squads of caos mariens and a tank in 1 turn. easy!
100tom001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Please please 100tom001, re read your post, edit it where you think it is necersary and make sure it is readable, i only just managed to get through that.

but on topic.
as it has been said by Max Smirnov, it depends upon who and what you are playing with, the solid 'Core' units are 2 demolishers and a basalisk to make sure the enemy come to your gun line. after that, it is up to bone, spit and grissle, i personally like the storm troopers so i will chuck a few (maybe 40?) into my army. if i have any points then i may get a few ogryns in a flier just to really make the enemy go splat.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

My main tactic:

Shoot to Kill

Once you start shooting at a unit, concentrate everythnig on it until it is gone, then take on the next. Reducing 4 10 man squads to 6 man squads won't get you VPs, but wiping out 2 squads will.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, and consripct squads are pretty much a must as well (who doesn't want 50 odd models for peanuts?)
Old 24 Jan 2008, 17:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
My main tactic:

Shoot to Kill

Once you start shooting at a unit, concentrate everythnig on it until it is gone, then take on the next. Reducing 4 10 man squads to 6 man squads won't get you VPs, but wiping out 2 squads will.
I agree with this in essence, but you need only batter a squad to the point that it becomes useless. Complete destruction is not always necessary. If, for instance, you can gun down the lascannon team from a Guard infantry squad tucked away in their deployment zone, they are essentially rendered worthless for the immediate foreseeable future. If you can inflict an armament destroyed result on a Basilisk, or an immobilized result on a Rhino, they're not worth wasting further shots on so long as there are more threatening targets out there. If you can break an infantry unit and it has no means of regrouping, then find a new target. Target prioritization is one of the few real tactics that make a difference on the tabletop.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Defiiantly, this is where SW teams and Storm troopers in chimeras will come in handy
Old 24 Jan 2008, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primo

Gotta love Rough Riders for Counterchargers ;D

I actually remember bringing 2x10 to a Tournament once.... Every body was dropping their mouths when they saw not 5, or 8... but 20 Men on horseback.

Their really insane, potentially having 21 S5 I5 Power Weapon Attacks on a charge, for 10. Heck, For a 116 Point unit, killing units worth 3-5 times their own price... Worth it, anyday.

And do remember their Cavelry, use them correctly, and they WILL reach their target. (Unless their blown to hell, it is hard to deploy that many large-base models without being seen!)

Ratling snipers are by far, underrated, their still a great alternative, if you with to use the Doctrine point on them. Sniper rifles, in masses are one of the cheapest and best things vs. Large Targets... Daemon Princes, Hive Tyrants, Carnifexes without Improved Armour, Wraithlord.

10 Points each, comes at a bargain.

4 Massacres
5 Solid
2 Minor
1 Draw
0 Losses

Armies Played:
Tyranid, Chaos, Space Marines, Necrons, Daemon Hunters.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 14:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Elite-wise, Enginseers suck mainly because their Servitors cost wargear. Were they just a retinue, I could potentially see them as a semi-useful firebase, but the wargear cost limits you to either 2 heavy bolter servitors, or 1 plasma cannon servitor. Ogryns may look weak on paper with their high point cost and no power weapon attacks. However, they provide the perfect place to plop a Priest assuming you've dropped them everywhere else. Their toughness lets them survive not going first while having a max squad shoot 20 bolter shots followed by 30 rerollable attacks means they have the potential to utterly devestate a light army like tyranids or Orks. Hardened Veterans are generally your best bet though, what with their numerous plasma toys.

When it comes to fast-attack, the Hellhound is a truly beautiful weapon. Highly accurate, and capable of decimating squads of light infantry, it in theory can be far more reliable than the Russ when it comes time to flush out non-MEQ armies from cover, or to disrupt a static Tau gunline. Rough Riders are good too, even for cheap anti-tank power. Get 5 of them with Meltabombs and charge the nearest target. Sentinels are good with either autocannons or multilasers...lascannons are too inaccurate and flamers require moving into assault range.

For heavy support, I always preferred the Griffon to the Basilisk. It had the same pie-plate, was cheaper, and didn't have the 36" minimum range that bugged the Earthshaker so much. With Forge-world rules in particular, it became particularly fun to use with incendiary shells.