Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt Apoc list
Old 04 Jan 2008, 04:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1500pt Apoc list

I'm going to be in a apoc game and was wondering what i should take

I was thinking of going all infantry (cadian doctrines) and letting someone else use my tanks(so they could make a tank squadron(company if we have enough guard players)

any ideas will be appreciated
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1500pt Apoc list

A 1500 point apocalypse game? You're aware that the minimum size for an Apocalypse game is 3000 points?

Well whatever, we can't possibly advise you without knowing what armies you will be facing. More information is required besides 'Apocalypse game'.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 13:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

sorry tom

each player brings 1500pt we don't know who we are facing or how many people yet.

the game will be in about 2-3 weeks and I'll post more info as it comes up.

as for armys we have a lot of imperial players (every imperial army several guard/marines etc. etc.) several eldar, and necrons a couple of tau and chaos, and maybe one or two nid players. Everyone here has multiple armys so what people will play will be up for grabs I dont know sorry.

The only army I KNOW I will not be facing is dark eldar.

That is why I need add vice I know what I should take against an individual army but not against everthing under the sun.

I was thinking a load of autocannons with a coulpe of lascannons and missile launchers. With the cadian doctrines(mostly for fluff but I think they work well) I have no idea about special weapons but i usally run a load of plasma

the week before the game I should have more info but untill then I just want ideas. Any infor will* help, and be appreciated
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well there's no hard and fast rule for making a take-all-comers army, but I'll offer my own opinions in regards to general army composition:
  • A solid firebase is as you said; primarily autocannons with a handful of lascannons. Additionally, those lascannons should be nestled in infantry squads rather than heavy weapons squads so as to maximise their life expectancy.
  • If you're taking tanks, then Demolishers are vastly superior to Leman Russes. The 24" range is only really an issue on turn one, and only then if you get the first turn. After that they're king of the battlefield.
  • Mortars are entirely useless. If you have no need for any other type of heavy weapon in a given unit, spend the points on something for more useful; like a hat for the commander...or a pogo-stick.
  • Hellhounds are diabolical engines of destruction when employed against anything not made of metal or wearing power armour.
  • One lasgun is useless, but one hundred lasguns is useless one hundred times over. However you cut it, a lasgun fired at BS3 has only a 6% chance of inflicting a Space Marine casualty, meaning you will average out at one dead Marine for every 18 shots fired. The effectiveness does not increase exponentially with every shot beyond the first.
  • Deepstriking meltagun special weapon squads are effective anti-tank smart bombs, but they will make you universally hated...even by me.
  • Doctines are not 'upgrades'.
  • Storm Troopers are very nice, but there are altogether too many AP4 weapons out there and altogether too few poorly-armoured aliens to make carapace armour and hellguns worthwhile. If you're close enough to a brood of Gaunts to make a dent in their numbers with massed hellgun fire then you're too close and your Storm Troopers are about to be eaten. Consider Hardened Veterans for your elite troops instead; special weapons are battle-winning.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 17:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
  • A solid firebase is as you said; primarily autocannons with a handful of lascannons. Additionally, those lascannons should be nestled in infantry squads rather than heavy weapons squads so as to maximise their life expectancy.
No mention for the humble heavy bolter? Good STR, AP, rate of fire and cheap not to metion the fact that it complements the anti infantry role of the squad nicely. My firebase consists of mainly H.bolter's and a few autocannons. The lascannons I usually place in my platoon command squads (sometimes with a medic) and deploy them in a nice bit of heavy cover. I find this gives a use to a squad that is fairly useless otherwise (my squads already have vet Sgt's for their leadership).
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 23:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, I would advise taking some heavy bolters. Just put them a little farther forward. If you place it right, the enemy will come in range of all your guns at the same point.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here is my Apoc list for the game. I don't know what side I will be on yet but as for the lack of armor support one of the players is going to use a Tank company but this list may change when I find out who my allies/enemys are.

Doctrine
Grenadiers Iron Discipline
Sactioned Psykers Sharpshooters
Special Weapon Sqauds Conscript Platoons
Storm Trooper Squads

Just for the record I'm using the cadian shock troopers doctrines that is why I have more than five.

Note: All squads have sharpshooters on them

Command Platoon
Command Squad: Heroic Senior Officer w/ power weapon, carapace armor, bionics and Iron discipline. Medic, Master-vox, standard bearer and meltagunner
Commissar w/ laspistol, power fist and carapace armor
Sanctioned Psyker w/ laspistol and ccw

Special Weapon Squad: 2 meltaguns and demo charge

Imperial Guard High Command Headquarters Group (Chapter Approved in WD 306)
High Commander w/ carapace armor, bolt pistol and Iron Discipline
1 servitor Bodyguard 1 veteran w/ regimental standard
1 guardsman w/ master-vox 1 Master Astropath
3 Staff Officers

Storm Trooper Squad: 10 trooper w/ vox-caster and 2 plasma guns

1st Platoon
command squad: Junior officer w/ bolt pistol and ccw, vox-caster, Meltagunner and autocannon
Squad 1: 10 men w/ vox-caster grenade launcher, and autocannon
Squad 2: 10 men w/ vox-caster plasmagun and missile launcher
Squad 3: 10 men w/ vox-caster plasmagun and lascannon

2nd Platoon
command squad: Junior officer w/ bolt pistol and ccw, vox-caster, Meltagunner and autocannon
Squad 1: 10 men w/ vox-caster grenade launcher, and autocannon
Squad 2: 10 men w/ vox-caster plasmagun and missile launcher
Squad 3: 10 men w/ vox-caster plasmagun and lascannon

Conscript Platoon: 20 conscripts

Here it goes 1497 points for the game