Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need help
Old 03 Jan 2008, 05:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I need help

hey how can i beat the Tau they always use those stupid battlesuits.
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 06:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I need help

....shoot them....shoot them dead :

anyways...it helps to know what kind of army you were using.

and lascannons typically do the trick in most cases, practically anything with a 36-48inch range.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 06:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Right, a little more information would be helpful. I'm guessing you play guard since this IS the guar board. And I'm guessing these battlesuits are using Jump Shoot Jump on you. If the are in units of two or three, your answer should be a Basilisk with indirect fire. It will make short work of them. If they are individual suits you'll probably want mortars, also indirect fire but much cheaper, you can field a squad of 3 for 80 points, they don't have good AP though, so even here you might want a Basilisk.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 07:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Deepstriking meltaguns are also a solid counter, and if you don't play drop troops, a whole pile of meltaguns in infantry squads rushing up the field gets 'er done too. Your last option, if you don't want to go with the sprinting infantry option is to have so many lacannons and missile launchers lined up along the board that his suits have nowhere to hide. Then the pain can begin.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarday
Deepstriking meltaguns are also a solid counter, and if you don't play drop troops, a whole pile of meltaguns in infantry squads rushing up the field gets 'er done too. Your last option, if you don't want to go with the sprinting infantry option is to have so many lacannons and missile launchers lined up along the board that his suits have nowhere to hide. Then the pain can begin.
The latter option gets boring real quick though. Winning battles by sitting in your deployment zone with all the firepower in the universe is only satisfying for the first few games.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i agree, as a player of tau who loves battle suits, i would say the worst thing we hate, is an enemy that does not bite our bait, i mean their is 180 pts in a single squad there and all you do is ignore it, so stand back, shoot them and then advance, soon thee enemy will get bored. or if you like just chase them with about 2 squads. then there is no way you can get out shot (unless you run into a hammer head)
Old 03 Jan 2008, 23:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For the Guard, there are essentially two ways to combat that j-s-j strategy: 1) indirect fire (Basilisk and mortars); and 2) mobility. This can be in the form of deepstriking next to the suits and blasting them, or using transports to get troops in place. Another option is to use fast-moving cavalry and charge them down, though that may be a problem on a tabletop with lots of terrain.

It would help to get more details.
davidgr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 02:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarday
The latter option gets boring real quick though. Winning battles by sitting in your deployment zone with all the firepower in the universe is only satisfying for the first few games.
I agree absolutely as most of my squads have special weapons and move up the field the whole game, but I figured I should include it as it IS a (very) viable tactic.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 23:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

JSJ suits are a PAIN. Most of them are equipped with SMS Missiles, though, which is essentially an Autocannon. I've found the solution to this is to take all infantry- all of those points are a waste when the most valuable thing they can kill is six points base.

Edit: Not SMS, silly me.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:25   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I play quite regualry against the mence known as the tau and their evil battlesuits. i find that the tau do not like you getting up close and personel with them.. with my drop troops i equiped with carapace (alougth i know you can have more troops but play harakonia warhawks so part of fluff) the carapace protects against the rapid firing pulse weapons at ap 5 and allows you to flame them. As for battle suits deepstrike special weapons squads with demo and two meta guns tends to do the trick. of coarse this plan relies on everything landing in the right place at the right time lol but works out most of the time