Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would it work?
Old 03 Jan 2008, 02:57   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Would it work?

I was thinking about creating a Guard army where half the force Deep Strikes in and the other is mobile with Armoured Fist squads, tanks and sentinels (basically like Mechanised).

But I'm not sure whether they would just be taken out piecemeal or whether they would actually stand a chance?

Of course this is only an idea but I just wanted to know whether it was plausible. Thanks for any comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 03:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Would it work?

I think it could be done quite well. Of course, you'll be getting the best of both worlds, so some people will cry cheese. It is a similar tactic to what I use with my Tau (DSing suits/drones, mobile firewarriors and tanks).
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 03:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

With the right tanks (ie lots 3x russ chasis, minimal chim chasis) this can actually be a devastating combo. Deepstriking sentinels along with your infantry carrying plasma/melta/flamer amidst your enemy while you pound them with ordinance and heavy weapon squads can cause huge damage. It's kind of cheesy obviously, seeing as a drop regiment typically has no access to heavy armour like a leman russ, but I've fielded a lit like this at a tournament once and it performed extremely well.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I was thinking about creating a Guard army where half the force Deep Strikes in and the other is mobile with Armoured Fist squads, tanks and sentinels (basically like Mechanised).

But I'm not sure whether they would just be taken out piecemeal or whether they would actually stand a chance?

Of course this is only an idea but I just wanted to know whether it was plausible. Thanks for any comments.
You MIGHT get some people calling cheese (As drop troops do not usually have tanks or other units) But you can justify this by having them as different 'companies' in the same FoC.

But really, anything could work, its just how you use them. Are the tanks and armoured fist units going to punch strait into the enemy and paratroop the drop troops for reinforcments behind them, or stay wback with the tanks and attack with the drop troops?

You just have to make sure the ground forces can stand there own, because help might not arrive right away.

PM me if you need any help!
Old 03 Jan 2008, 04:49   #5 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Well the idea was basically a hammer and anvil type idea. The tanks motor forwards to support the drop troops, who deep strike behind enemy lines, catching them in a pincer movement. The armoured element would be entirely mounted so that the would have the speed to reach the drop troops (this is assuming that they're dropping just behind enemy lines and not deep into enemy territory).

Fluffily, the Drop Troops would be dropped behind the enemy, or close to their lines if they hug the edge with the tanks giving support and attacking on the other front but I wasn't sure whether the two elements could survive independently.

I didn't think it would be too cheesy, provided that the support would actually have a way to get there but I don't know much about Drop Troops so my idea may be fatally flawed.

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 03 Jan 2008, 18:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

it is possible, and i think it could work very well, but as it has allready been said. it is incredible cheesy, and half your army deep striking?

that is a lot of people who could easily scatter into a building or enemy., i would maybe infiltrate, but not deep strike
Old 03 Jan 2008, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Yes, well Deep Striking is fun and a great way to go on the offensive, and scattering is just an added risk. To infiltrate I'd need Light Infantry and that would screw up any possible Carapace Armour combos.

There's no point saying it's incredibly cheesy without stating why after what I've said. It would really be two companies supporting each other and working together on an operation. I don't mind as much if its cheesy, as long as it makes sense fluffwise.

I could just as easily remove the armoured section, but I like the idea of suddenly catching the enemy in a pincer and normal infantry would seem even unfluffier...

Thanks for all the replies, I will however be unable to answer over the next couple of days btu I look forward to reading further thoughts when I'm back on.

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 03 Jan 2008, 20:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
it is possible, and i think it could work very well, but as it has allready been said. it is incredible cheesy, and half your army deep striking?

that is a lot of people who could easily scatter into a building or enemy., i would maybe infiltrate, but not deep strike
So, deploying exactly where you want, probably in cover, is less cheesy than deploying somewhere roughly near where you want, risking death by landing in cover..?

I'd hardly find it cheesy. It's possible to play such a list in an abusive manner (Special Weapon and Veteran squads full of melta/plasma weapons), but it's not overpowered on its own.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I really would not call such a list cheesy.
The gargantuan risk taken just to get in with a round or two of shooting, I find a bit too high for my taste.
"Oh my, the guard is with in assault-range in turn 1/2. I'll charge with my *insert painful melee units here* and overrun from here and until the cows come home."

My experience with such lists is, that such a tactic very, very rarely goes well. The armour is often too slow to save the deepstriking infantry and will have to face the bulk of the remaining enemy force when the infantry is gone. I have seen this happen way too often. A flamer or two or a dedicated melee choice is enough to crush most guard units deepstriking this way.
(Beware of squads with sorcerer/los/flamers or siren...or just sorcerers with los...)

Also take into account that you are dividing up your entire army. About half deepstriking and half advancing. A misdrop or two and the game can be lost.

tldr version: Half deepstrike/half advancing armour tactic is not recommended.

Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 00:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have played against several Imperial Guard players who deepstrike several units, including Sentinels (the anvil), and also have tanks and Armored Fist squads moving up the field (the hammer). I have seldom seen these armies do any better than if they had just concentrated on one strategy, and many times they do worse. The reasons have been given: piecemeal arrival of deepstriking units, deviation of said units, and the chance for the opponent to concentrate on the heavies those first few turns.

A balanced enemy force loves deepstriking armies for just those reasons.

davidgr33n is offline   Reply With Quote