Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Autocannons? Tournament worthy?
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Autocannons? Tournament worthy?

Hi all,
I'm a long time necron player and have recently decided to collect guard.
My question is do you feel autocannons in 750 pts are a good enough anti-vehicle firebase or do you recomend lascannons? This is for a conflict tournament?
Thanks
Deathodia920
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Autocannons? Tournament worthty?

Well it would be nice to see more writing than just 'hi all'..
Like how many points is the tournament etc
Well for guard i have to say yes, I'm a tournament player and I've seen enough light skimmers to last me a life Time :P

=Edit=
oh there is a question now!

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Autocannons? Tournament worthy?

errr... read it again. but sorry my internet is real laggy and cut me off at the beginning!
oops!
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Well, a few autocannons in such a game would definitely be worth your while. Those things are great on smug Firewarriors who think they're out of your range and other 4+ abundant races, and they're alright for forcing a few saves on MEQs as well. Not to mention the light skimmers Timjim mentioned. However, in case you come across something heavier, I would still recommend taking a lascannon somewhere.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

So many skimmers *rocks*

And they're great for mowing down medium armoured infantry like Will said, I have a squad of havocs with them just for their multi purpose role.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar_Will
Well, a few autocannons in such a game would definitely be worth your while. Those things are great on smug Firewarriors who think they're out of your range and other 4+ abundant races, and they're alright for forcing a few saves on MEQs as well. Not to mention the light skimmers Timjim mentioned. However, in case you come across something heavier, I would still recommend taking a lascannon somewhere.
So say a special weapons team of autocannons and posibly 1-2 lascannons?
Should i place the lascannons in a normal squad or attach to something else?
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Normal squad if you can - no armour can best the power of ablative shielding! In small points values those Lascannons are going to be a prime target. If you take a Veterans squad you might want to put one in that - on a single shot weapon like a Lascannon, a decent BS will come in handy.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 17:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

in all honesty, i would actually go with a rocket/ missile launcher. they are cheaper and have pretty much the same chance of effect as a las cannon if used in the right quantities. i mean (i would guess) you can get 2 missiles for 1 las shot. go for the missiles, in a 750 pts game, your not going to see many front armour 14 vehicles, as it was said, maybe a few skimmers and lighter vehicles but nothing a krak missile can't deal with
Old 02 Jan 2008, 18:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
in all honesty, i would actually go with a rocket/ missile launcher. they are cheaper and have pretty much the same chance of effect as a las cannon if used in the right quantities. i mean (i would guess) you can get 2 missiles for 1 las shot. go for the missiles, in a 750 pts game, your not going to see many front armour 14 vehicles, as it was said, maybe a few skimmers and lighter vehicles but nothing a krak missile can't deal with
I disagree with this in part. Missile launchers may be cheaper than lascannons, but that certainly does not equate to a greater volume of them in your army list. People often focus on price and overlook the fact that you have a limited number of heavy weapon slots. Sure, the missile launcher is 40% cheaper than the lascannon; does that mean you can have 40% more of them? No! You've still got to pay for another infantry squad or whatever in order to get that extra slot, and then that 10 point difference is overridden entirely.

However, that said, only powergamers field Land Raiders and Monoliths in 750 point games, so missile launchers should prove adequate if you really need to save forty points or so. I'd still say autocannons as the main body of your heavy weapons with one or two lascannons though.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 16:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, i still say auto cannons are cool, but i don't beleiv ethat a las cannon is that neccercary. i mean i would imagine the hardest tank you would come up against in 750 pts would be a hammer head (and only because they are relativly cheap) and then an auto cannon wouldn't work, but a krak missile will. i think a few las cannons (1 or 2) is ok, but any more is over kill really