Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Guard
Old 01 Jan 2008, 18:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New to Guard

hey all, you may recognise me from the post i made a few months back about Rough Riders.

but any way, i have just started guard and wondered what to do, i have the battle force now and i have a strong urge to do an artillary company and grenadiers.

i like the idea of a chimera of storm troopers hiding just off a road side while the enemy advances just beside them, then they call in an artiallry barrage and drive off, the storm troopers would be a good choice i thought becuase they are strong and mobile and more than able to plug a hole with their BS 3 or 4 and carapace armour. what do you guys think?

what should i get next and how should i play and stuff like that ???
Old 01 Jan 2008, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New to Guard

Grenadiers are a nice choice for an elite mobile strike force, but a gun battery on the same table makes no sense. As Wargamer so often vehemently insists, artillery of that nature has no place in a skirmish game. Personally, I think the Basilisk only belongs in such short range engagements if you're representing a gun battery under attack, or in situations of dire need when a Basilisk is pressed into service as a siege gun. Neither of these two situations should ever be commonplace though, so I think players should only field Basilisks very rarely. Perhaps you could use Griffons as your close support? You could rationalise their presence as a part of the Grenadier task force.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2008, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Griffons are a good choice and more fluffy for games of 40K. You could also look at using the heavy mortar and quad launcher (thudd gun) from IA5 as they would also fit your theme nicely.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 09:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, but would you be able to give me a rouhg guide to how they work and what they do?
Old 02 Jan 2008, 09:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
ok, but would you be able to give me a rouhg guide to how they work and what they do?
The quad launcher is a little complex and i don't have the book with me. The H.mortar is an elite choice and you can take 3 of them per slot. They are ordnance, can be fired indirectly and have the same STR and AP as a grenade launcher krak round. They come with 3 crew and can be given more, and the mortar itself has the same AV as a sentinel (although as its stationary any glances will destroy it). I can't remember the Pts cost of the top of my head so can't give you a rough or equivalent cost (they are fairly cheap though). The griffon is basically the same gun mounted on a chimera chassis and takes up a heavy slot. They also both have access to special shell types (if i remember correctly) which can be quite usefull.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 12:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardis Varrn
They also both have access to special shell types (if i remember correctly) which can be quite usefull.
They do indeed - the Griffon certainly has access to Infernus shells. Now I personally don't know how good they are, but I have heard that they are very useful things to have. As for the Thudd Gun, there used to be a set of experimental rules for it up on the FW website, which have since been taken down. You might want to find out if somebody saved them before they were taken down, which would give you a very good idea of their rules and effectiveness. I do remember, however, that they can fire for four turns, because the Thudd Gun is quad-barreled, but after that it cannot fire for a turn due to reloading. The same happens after another four turns (if the game lasts that long)

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 12:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

They did have experimental rules but when IA5 came out they were included in that. The rules for them in IA5 are better than they were as they are now cheaper (at least the H.mortar is).
Old 02 Jan 2008, 15:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

awome, im thinking then maybe a single griffon and two leman russ demolisers? sound good?
Old 02 Jan 2008, 16:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
awome, im thinking then maybe a single griffon and two leman russ demolisers? sound good?
Demolishers are siege tanks designed primarily for close quarters fighting where it's their superior side and rear armour is a distinct advantage and the short range nature of its weapons (especially its primary weapon) is not an issue. This doesn't really fit with the concept of a rapid-deployment insurgency force operating close to or behind enemy lines. The Chimera can manage an impressive 55 kph off road, while the Demolisher trundles along at only 17 kph. :-\

It's fine as a tabletop army and the units themselves mesh nicely in the manner in which they operate within the game - Storm Troopers being at their best in close quarters, supporting/supported by the tanks - But it doesn't match the fluff given. What you've described is a great sounding urban combat force though, or even jungle warfare if so inclined - Tanks followed up by 'Panzer Grenadiers'...very fluffy. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

really? cool. 8)

well, i just read the artiocle on GW site about armoured companies, they sound pretty cool actually. what i might do (if i didn't hate assembling leman russes) is have one of them. but i won't.

so, storm troopers backed up by a griffon or two and a demolisher or two (one way or another) and some quad laucher / thudd guns) sound good? or are the thud guns only really good for taking out buildings?