Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

im confused
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default im confused

starting a guard army has really confused me any one help me with this problem its just i want to know what i need to start the most basic guard army
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: im confused

THE most basic?

Buy 3 boxes of Cadian Troopers.

60 soldiers.

Watch this.

Make a 5 Soldier Squad - This is your HQ Squad (Pick Whatever You Want Under HQ Command Squad)

Make a 5 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 1 Captain Squad (See Junior Officer entry under HQ : Command Squad)

Make a 10 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 1 Squad 1

Make a 10 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 1 Squad 2

Make a 5 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 2 Captain Squad (See Junior Officer entry under HQ : Command Squad)

Make a 10 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 2 Squad 1

Make a 10 Soldier Squad - This is Platoon 2 Squad 2

Tada. 5 models left.

You can have those be special weapons and you can switch those around with the guys in your platoons.

Don't forget your special weapons / voxcasters / etc.

THE MOST BASIC, CRUMMY ARMY TADAH.

Yeah. Next I'd get like a Chimera... and a Leman Russ. And Heavy Weapons Squads.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by General D
I know what you need, some commas and periods.

Anyway, on to the Guard. What you need is a minimum of a command platoon (officer's squad), and 2 infantry platoons, consisting of 1 command squad and at least 2 squads.
Now, you could replace the second platoon with an armored fist squad or a conscript platoon if you really want to.
Or, you can take the grenadiers doctrine, and don't worry about all of those big, clunking platoons of meat.

Your choice, really. The Guard is all about your choices.
pretend you are talking to a person who does not know anything about guard exept they are just humans and have lasguns
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 20:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Here's an idea. Read the rulebook, read the IG codex, read the IG board stickies.
Purchase the models you want based on the knowledge you have gained from the above three sources.

Assemble your models, paint them. Play.

Congradulations! You're an IG player!
Old 27 Dec 2007, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The smallest ammount of models needed for an IG army is.. 15. That is if you take a doctrine (Which are thinks that let you change and customize your army) called grenadiers. This lets you take stormtroopers as your troops choices.

5 men for your command
5 (min squad) for troops 1
And as above for troops 2.

ONE box of Cadian infantry can get you the most basic army possible! With five men left over.

HOWEVER I suggest getting at least two battle forces. They give you twenty men, three heavy weapons (You can easily get more out of them than that) and a tank, each!
Old 28 Dec 2007, 00:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There really isn't a great start with Guard. I coped with just starting on a super heavy (Fortress of Arrogance). In the Baneblade kit I got a Tank Commander, easily an Officer, then buy a box or two of cadian troopers. Lastly, buy the appropriate advisors and you have yourself a small Apoc army.....

I think the Battleforce is horrible in itself. It only gives you, pretty much, an unusable troop platoon (due to no platoon command) and a Leman Russ tank. Ugh!

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
There really isn't a great start with Guard. I coped with just starting on a super heavy (Fortress of Arrogance). In the Baneblade kit I got a Tank Commander, easily an Officer, then buy a box or two of cadian troopers. Lastly, buy the appropriate advisors and you have yourself a small Apoc army.....

I think the Battleforce is horrible in itself. It only gives you, pretty much, an unusable troop platoon (due to no platoon command) and a Leman Russ tank. Ugh!
Firstly, Apocalypse battles start at 3000 points, so a box or two of cadian troopers isn't going to cut it. Secondly any five Guardman models can serve as a command squad; you don't actually need to buy the official command squad boxed set. :

Admittedly a single battleforce doesn't quite give you enough Guardsmen to make a legal army (which is bizarre), that's why Gecko recommended getting two battleforces.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 03:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

At LEAST two

Three would be great, but hey.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 04:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I believe the best rundown is a cadian battleforce, box o' infantry, and a chimera.

Now you have 5 for your HQ, an added firesupport/A.T. squad

a platoon with some flamers and ccws in the command squad
3 lasgunner squads with grenade launchers or flamers

an finally an armored fist chimera for the other troop slot filled with the other 10 guys.

and a tank!

----
simpler still: 1 chim, 2 infantry boxes = 1 HQ, 1 platoon, 1 armor fist
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The way I started out? I got an officer and two plasma gunners in a trade. Then I got two battleforces and a troops box, giving me 60 men, an officer, 2 plasma gunners, a possible total of 18 heavy weapons (Six mortars, six missile launchers and six tripod weapons.) and two leman russ'.

Yesterday I went out on the task of finding an ursaker E Creed blister to no avail and came home with an armoured fist squad (Ten men and chimera, saves $15 bucks...

(And I wanted Ursaker E Creed 'cause he looked Roman-ish...)