Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vulture, Valkyrie
Old 25 Dec 2007, 21:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vulture, Valkyrie

I have just acquired a Vulture and a Valkyrie now I need to figure out what to mount on them. Tom posted a very helpful guide to the Vulture's load out which showed me the error of my ways (as I was planing on mounting multi-rocket pods). I figure I will put my plas/melta armed Hard Vets and Commissar in the valkyire for either tank or TEQ hunting. But after that my Vulture and Valk are going to be pretty much an indepent force of my army laying down fire as needed. Along this lines I was thinking of arming the Vulture with TL-Lascannons and 6 Hunter-killers while the Valk would have the multi-laser, Heavy Bolters, and 2 hellstrikes (or in the valks case would Multi-rockets be feasible). With Tom's post I developed my plan now to just get others views on it.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2007, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Vulture, Valkyrie

Which one was seen in DoW:WA?
Old 25 Dec 2007, 22:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

that was the Valkyrie troop transport, which was wierd cause the valk doesn't get bombs.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Things have changed a little with the release of Imperial Armour Apocalypse - Heavy bombs are no longer effective against vehicles, though still of worth against large infantry formations, and rocket pods are now a viable choice as they each use a single large blast template rather than two small blast templates.

Of course, this is only relevant in Apocalypse games. My advice is to magnetise the hard points and weapons so you can swap them out easily. That's what I did.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 00:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
My advice is to magnetise the hard points and weapons so you can swap them out easily. That's what I did.
Sound advice, I will tried that with my tau suits with a little success i guess it will just take practice to get perfect
Old 26 Dec 2007, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaruTal
Sound advice, I will tried that with my tau suits with a little success i guess it will just take practice to get perfect
Be sure you're using the right ones. You really need neodymium magnets for the job, conventional magnets don't cut the mustard. I get mine from K & J magnetics; I use a pair of 3/16" X 1/32" magnets on each hardpoint (and of course a matching pair on each weapon). Using two is not only good for rigidity but also makes the weapons line up instantly without drifting during movement.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Things have changed a little with the release of Imperial Armour Apocalypse - Heavy bombs are no longer effective against vehicles, though still of worth against large infantry formations, and rocket pods are now a viable choice as they each use a single large blast template rather than two small blast templates.

Of course, this is only relevant in Apocalypse games. My advice is to magnetise the hard points and weapons so you can swap them out easily. That's what I did.
I am about to purchase a vulture and was also wondering about what weapon options to give it. I have also just got the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse book and it does say in it that the rules are for Apoc and for 40K and replace the relevant rules in previous IA books. This seems ok for some of the units but super heavies just seem too powerfull and under priced for standard 40K! Ive also noticed that some of the flyer's in the IA Apoc book (including the vulture) only have weapon options and no access to vehicle upgrades!!! I hope this is another one of the mistakes they have made and will have a FAQ soon (they should REALLY employ proof readers).
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 21:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardis Varrn
I am about to purchase a vulture and was also wondering about what weapon options to give it. I have also just got the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse book and it does say in it that the rules are for Apoc and for 40K and replace the relevant rules in previous IA books. This seems ok for some of the units but super heavies just seem too powerfull and under priced for standard 40K! Ive also noticed that some of the flyer's in the IA Apoc book (including the vulture) only have weapon options and no access to vehicle upgrades!!! I hope this is another one of the mistakes they have made and will have a FAQ soon (they should REALLY employ proof readers).
Also note the Marauder destroyer has no structure points and the Death Korps of Krieg Death Rider company battle formation confers no benefit whatsoever! :

Whether or not these new rules actually replace those found in the Imperial Armour books is not especially clear. I know it says in the introduction that they replace the rules found in IA update 2006, but in the Apocalypse rule book it makes it abundantly clear (on page 90, in bold) that all rules in the Apocalypse rule book are for games of Apocalypse only. This stipulation is found in the introduction to legendary units and battle formations. That being so, are we to assume that the new Stormsword rules are ok in conventional games of 40k while the new Baneblade rules are not?

I only use the new rules in Apocalypse games - Using them in conventional 40k battles sometimes makes them over-powerful. Take the Stormblade for example; do you think 450 points for an AP2 weapon that uses a template bigger than most dinner plates is acceptable in a 2000 point battle? Besides, what about those units that use rules explained in the Apocalypse rule book? The Shadowsword for instance has a 'destroyer' 'primary weapon'...what the hell is that when Apocalypse rules are expressly forbidden outside of Apocalypse games? :huh:

Personally, I think the content of Imperial Armour Apocalypse (like many IA books) is too dubious to take as gospel. It's a great publication that colours in some grey areas and breathes life into some formerly useless units, but irrespective of Warwick Kinrade's decree, I don't think it's ok to use these new rules in non-apocalyptic games.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 01:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tom, the Marauder Destroyer has 3 structure points. Forge world has released a errata...
Old 28 Dec 2007, 08:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Tom, the Marauder Destroyer has 3 structure points. Forge world has released a errata...
Yay! They even explained the bewildering Death Rider formation too! It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when they release a publication with so many errors though...hell, even the FAQs contain spelling errors and typos! Honestly, Forge World uses the laziest proof readers on the planet. :