Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanised List?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Mechanised List?

I was wondering what doctrines I should take with an mechanised infantry list.

As of now I got:

Mechanised (of couse)
sharpshooters

so the other 3 slots are open

I was thinking

die-hards, hardened fighters and carapace armor as well, and while I like the idea of the army being small (because of all the chimera) I don't want them to be over expensive(like I believe they will be with these doctrines)

It doesn't go with my army idea though because I am thinking of a short range fire-fight type army.

edit: I would like input on speacial weapons as well. my heavy weapons will be in squads (or a platoon if I take the doctrine)
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Mechanised List?

Only take sharpshooters if you have heavy weapon platoons... and only give it to the (IIRC not everyone has to have it).

Either Carapace or sharpshooters... both will be a MASSIVE points sink and wont be that great. Hardened fighters and die hards is always a good combo though.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Take Grenadiers over Carapace. Waaaay better value, plus you get more of the oh-so-valuable special weapons a mobile guard list needs.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 01:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Maybe you're looking in the wrong direction... Planning to have an army up to 3000 points? Then Mechanised doctrine is not the best option in my oppinion. Maybe think about this:

- Grenadiers (mandatory troops choices, 6 plasmas/meltas/flamers, and 3 Chimeras!)
- Stormtroopers (doubles the above!)
- Carapace (for flavour, so your HQ looks more in line with the rest of the army).
- Iron Discipline (only if you're planning to make a Vox network, or use a lot of Comissars; for the elite force flavour).

Now you're flooding the table with stormeys!
Take 2 or 3 indirect Heavy Support choices (Griffon with Infernus shells is probably the best, but Basilisk or Medusa have their advantages too), as you're easily able to make a thick wall of steel to protect them!
Still have points? 3 Hellhounds are waiting to be bought. And 3 Sentinels from the Command Platoon.

Good luck with your army!
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2007, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Smirnov
Maybe you're looking in the wrong direction... Planning to have an army up to 3000 points? Then Mechanised doctrine is not the best option in my oppinion. Maybe think about this:

- Grenadiers (mandatory troops choices, 6 plasmas/meltas/flamers, and 3 Chimeras!)
- Stormtroopers (doubles the above!)
- Carapace (for flavour, so your HQ looks more in line with the rest of the army).
- Iron Discipline (only if you're planning to make a Vox network, or use a lot of Comissars; for the elite force flavour).

Now you're flooding the table with stormeys!
Take 2 or 3 indirect Heavy Support choices (Griffon with Infernus shells is probably the best, but Basilisk or Medusa have their advantages too), as you're easily able to make a thick wall of steel to protect them!
Still have points? 3 Hellhounds are waiting to be bought. And 3 Sentinels from the Command Platoon.

Good luck with your army!
A couple points to note: Special rules such as Iron Discipline are not conveyed down a vox link, and Medusas are not indirect fire weapons.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2007, 14:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think I'm going to go with:

Mechanised
hardened fighters
sharpshooters
veterans
carapace armor

I'm going to put meltaguns plasmaguns and flamers and give them all missile launchers (mostly for fluff) in my infantry squads, my command squads will mostly melee and I'll have some lascannon squads and lascannon sentinels. As well as a couple of Leman Russes of course
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Darn, you're right on the Iron Discipline Tom, my mistake. As for Medusa, I'm using IA5 rules, where they are indirect fire.

Johnnyboy, you're making super-Guardsmen. Crazy! But in the good sense of the word They won't be efficient, but fun to play I'm sure. Just curious, are you going to use Vostroyan models, or make your own representation of Carapace, HFighters and SShoters?
Old 23 Dec 2007, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I Think I might go in the same direction, use my greenstuff skills on the guardsmen I've got.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 03:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm going to use cadians and model an extra armor plate on the flak armor but their uniforms will be made of ballistic cloth. :P Hardened fighters and sharpshooters are based on skill not gear for my guys ;D

I plan on giving them elysian lasguns to give the a more "close in" feel. ^-^ and I may modify some of the cadian lasgun into a M203 grenade launcher for looks :P

oh yeah forgot to ask. any ideas on making my Vet look more like veterans? I'm going to get one or two of the forge world veteran upgrade packs but that doesn't make 2-3 full strengh squads.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 09:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

So you're going the eeeeasy way with converting, heh? Your decission I'm waiting for your showcase anyway!

As for vets, use extra gear for them and more or less different painting scheme, I'd say. Another possible option is to use Catachan arms and model folded-up sleeves, looks very veteran-like to me. Catachan heads might also be a nice addition (those bandanas, perfect for painting a Rising Sun on them )