Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armored Company: The Choices
Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Armored Company: The Choices

I've started to use many of my numerous tanks in small skirmishes utilizing Armored Company rules.

I'd like your opinion on several issues.

a.) Do you dislike playing against an AC army, do you feel it is cheesy and unfair?

b.) Do you suggest using infantry and Sentinels in support of the tanks, or simply tanks, tanks, and more tanks?

c.) What patterns do you suggest to create a balanced list?

FOr those wishing to know, my list usually includes about 2 standard Russes with HBs or no sponsons.
My command tank is my FW Vanquisher, that probably won't be changing.

In most battles, I throw in my Exterminator, and if points, allow, the Demolisher.

Now, I own enough to field the two Russes, the Vanq, the Exterminator, Demolisher, Baslisk, Griffon, two Chimeras, two Sentinels, and a horde of infantry.

So, what do you guys think? I'd like to adjust my list, as it seems many opponents hate playing me.

Thanks for the input!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Armored Company: The Choices

The most effective armoured companies are those that field as many Leman Russ variants as possible. They are very hard to stop with conventional armies, as facing one or two AV14 vehicles is bad enough, but eight or nine is even worse! It's this very reason that creates such loathing and rancour when you plonk your tanks on the table. It's an easy fix, but a compromise - the weaker you make your list the happier your opponent will be; you've just got to decide where to draw the line. Softer vehicles like Chimeras and Sentinels will weaken the list, and the more Storm Troopers and Armoured Fist squads you put on the table, the more like a conventional army it will become.

As for tank types, I always field a squadron of three Demolishers, and the other five tanks are a healthy mix. If you want the most fearsome firepower conceivable, then use ordnance weapons exclusively...but you will be utterly hated for it. I typically use a Vanquisher, two Leman Russes, an Annihilator and an Exterminator. That's a lot of shootiness, and I have had some grumpy opponents in the past, so perhaps my choices aren't great, but it's a tank company...they're supposed to have massive guns. All tanks have heavy bolter sponsons, and three have hull Lascannons. Even a robust array of tanks like that is certainly not unstoppable though - it just looks daunting on turn 1.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

I agree with Tom Norman. The more Leman Russes, the better.
Nothing scares more than a big shooting line composed of Russes... well, maybe a big shooting line composed of Monoliths, but I think you get the point.

Cheers, Alexander.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Aye, Tom is completely right, the strength of the AC comes from the fact that few armies have suffient means to deal with large amounts of AV14, if you introduce less heavily armoured vehicles or infantry you then give those elements of your opponents army which have the ability to combat such units something to do.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 10:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Face it, if you're going to play Armoured Complany, people are going to hate you :P They only way people are going to want to play you is if you make your list squishier. I'd say take about half your army in Russes, and half in Chimeras/Hellhounds/Sentinels/Other easy-to-kill targets. 90% of people don't even have enough Strength 8 weaponry to take down a single Monolith, let alone an entire army of Russes charging at them.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 19:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I will be watching this thread closely and I have another one of my insane projects that may get upgraded to full scale production in the coming months.

Anyway. My thoughts

I think it is possible, but rather difficult to come up with an armoured company list that won't cause at least some groaning. The problem with it is that the list is almost doomed to being somewhat unbalanced from the outset just due to it's concept. The "All Russes all the time" list is kind of the standard Armoured Co out there, being as Tom said, the most effective. And although it really fits the fluff of the armoured company, any weapon with less than strength 8 or some funky special rule is made not very useful and this will likely cause a bit of a grumble from opponents. There are armies out there who can easily be the doom of the AC (*cough* Necrons *cough*), but many will be hard pressed against this sort of force.

So how do we make the AC a lil more friendly? Well, as Tom once again already said, you can take some "softer" units. Hell, I've been to a 40k tourney that actually required objective claiming models to have some sort of hand largely because of Armoured Companies. Infantry, pretty much anything with a chimera hull (that can't indirect fire) or even just things without a battle cannon can greatly reduce the risk of an egging.

Another thing to note is that the Armoured Company has access to some units rarely seen on the battlefield. Making use of these instead of the same old battle cannon toting Russ will probably have people a lil happier about taking on your wall 'o tanks. Toss in an Exterminator or something. Maybe even a Destroyer Tank Hunter if you feel like it (although it's stats aren't the greatest for it's pts cost)

Finally, if there's something to the army rather than just "Look how many battle cannons I have!", people will be less likely to get irritated about it. Some cool conversions or a nice paint job absolve many evils
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmm... most people don't realise that if you think about it, armoured companies aren't that hard to beat, but that shouldn't be why they want to play against one. They should want to play against one to have a good, tactical battle. Since Armoured companies bend the way that a standard game is played, then the other person should be able to flex their army's tactics to cope with the change in enemies. I think that should cover #1.

sentinels and lighter armed units are in the list beacuse simply having tanks leaves serious weaknesses in your ability to counter terrain and fast-moving units.
example[sup]1[/sup]: your russ-only AC plays against a guard list on a fairly open table, except for some size-2 rocky outcroppings he can place a basilisk bahind rocks, and you can't get close enough in time, or he drops stormtroopers with meltaguns behind the main part of your line beacuse they didn't move and chose to sit and shoot.
example[sup]2[/sup]: same board, playing Eldar, bikes, aspect warriors, and skimmer tanks all can get up close soon and destroy you easily.

what other units add to an AC is flexibility. having brute power is nice, but you can't ever hope of having a fun game that makes you think and auctally gain somthing from it.

A generally balanced list should be able to fight anywhere against any army and force you to use all of your units. Wether this means losing a few russes for 'Fist squads and sentinels, or adding doctrines up the D'yi, it's up to you.
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

For my AC (Which will be used alongside an infantry FoC, if points allow (As in, larger not-apoc battles) I will be taking a vanquisher leman russ as my HQ, two standard russes for troops, and two kommodo squads (Armoured fist squads) to make a mechanized infantry without waisting points like the doctrined version.

As my avaliable points increases, so does my ammount of leman Russes. I am considering an exterminatior, but for its cost ($ and pts) I can't see the point, besides a tank that is more mobile?

Conquerer... Not much point IMO. So yeah, vanquishers and leman Ruses for me. Maybe a hellhound for some anti-infantry firepower (And as said, a squishier target)

Side question: Can a vanquisher move and fire its AP cannon? It's probably in the rules, but my brain is tired (long day..)

Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, the gecko!
I am considering an exterminatior, but for its cost ($ and pts) I can't see the point, besides a tank that is more mobile?
The advantage shared by the Conquerer, Executioner, Exterminator and Annihilator is the ability to fire their turret weapon and all defensive weapons simultaneously, even while moving (because they are not ordnance weapons). Until recently, the Exterminator was a the most points efficient tank from among them, and was typically armed with sponson/hull heavy bolters and a pintle weapon to serve as an infantry lawnmower. With the release of IA5, however, the Annihilator is a new contender in this role. For only 10 points more than the Exterminator, it features TL Lascannons in place of Autocannons and so is able to fulfil a similar role (albeit at the expense of a single twin-linked shot) while still being suitably armed to take on enemy tanks.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, the gecko!
Side question: Can a vanquisher move and fire its AP cannon? It's probably in the rules, but my brain is tired (long day..)
Yes. Leman Russes with AT shells have to remain stationary to fire them, but the Vanqusher is not so inhibited. Probably the cheesiest tank in the Imperial Guard's arsenal if you ask me. Doesn't stop me fielding one, but I do limit myself to just one.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice, I am so getting a vanquisher, gotta love that long smooth barrel!

Heh, the TL autocannon is ncie, but nothing special on its own. being able to move and fire that, plus heavy bolters and a pintle mounted weapon... wow...

Thanks Tom.