Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanized Guard
Old 18 Dec 2007, 15:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello
Default Mechanized Guard

Anyone got any advice on playing mechanized guard? I'm going to run my squads with a melta gun and a multi laser/HB/Heavy Stubber chimera. Really looking for some tactics and any sample lists.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Mechanized Guard

I'm not a mechanised Guard player, but it occurs to me that in many cases a Chimera will tasked to deploy special weapon armed troops close to the enemy. That being so, I think it'd be a mistake to overlook the heavy flamer option. A mix of Chimera weapons would make for some variety too.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Here's a sample list for you:

1000 Points

Command Platoon:
Senior Officer Laspistol, close combat weapon
Command Squad Laspistols, close combat weapons, flamer, mortar - 71
Chimera - Turret heavy flamer, hull heavy flamer, pintle storm bolter, hunter-killer missile, rough terrain mod, extra armour, track guards - 125

Infantry Platoon:
Junior Officer - Laspistol, close combat weapon
Command Squad - Laspistols, close combat weapons, flamer, mortar - 56
Chimera - Turret multi-laser, hull heavy flamer, pintle heavy stubber, hunter-killer missile, rough terrain mod, extra armour, track guards - 127

Infantry Squad - Meltagun, mortar - 80
Chimera - Turret multi-laser, hull heavy flamer, pintle heavy stubber, hunter-killer missile, rough terrain mod, extra armour, track guards - 127

Infantry Squad - Meltagun, mortar - 80

Armoured Fist Squad - Meltagun, mortar - 80

This is pretty much all you'll be able to fit into 1000 points, unless you really nerf your Chimeras. As you get into higher points you might want to think about adding some TechPreists or Hellhounds (I hate Russes). Hellhounds could support dual heavy flamer Chimera charges and TechPriests can zoom around fixing up broken chassis.

The thing about mechanized lists, as Tom said, is to mainly keep your troops inside their transports. They can still shoot the built-in lasguns, and a model can even fire out of the top hatch (especially great for mortars, sit still and bomb them then zoom away when they get too close). You could kit out your Chimeras with two heavy flamers each and put a regular flamer iside them for anti-horde, or go multi-laser/heavy bolter with a meltagun for anti-light tanks (and heavy, if you get in close enough). Hunter-killer missiles can make up a good portion of your anti-tank, but they're limited. Grenade launchers fired out of the top hatch for most of the game as they have a long range, but plasma guns would be great for anti-MEQ/TEQ charges.

Overall, I'd say kit out your Chimeras with as much dakka as possible and move slowly, maybe leapfrogging so some mortars can fire occasionally. Apply pressure to your opponent with the volume of high-strength firepower and mortar cover long enough for your front line of flamer Chimeras to hit the enemy.

Hope I helped
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
The thing about mechanized lists, as Tom said, is to mainly keep your troops inside their transports. They can still shoot the built-in lasguns, and a model can even fire out of the top hatch (especially great for mortars, sit still and bomb them then zoom away when they get too close). You could kit out your Chimeras with two heavy flamers each and put a regular flamer iside them for anti-horde, or go multi-laser/heavy bolter with a meltagun for anti-light tanks (and heavy, if you get in close enough). Hunter-killer missiles can make up a good portion of your anti-tank, but they're limited. Grenade launchers fired out of the top hatch for most of the game as they have a long range, but plasma guns would be great for anti-MEQ/TEQ charges.

Overall, I'd say kit out your Chimeras with as much dakka as possible and move slowly, maybe leapfrogging so some mortars can fire occasionally. Apply pressure to your opponent with the volume of high-strength firepower and mortar cover long enough for your front line of flamer Chimeras to hit the enemy.
Hope I helped
Grrr...we're back to the age-old mortar debate. In my opinion they're not worth it at the best of times...but stuffing them in the back of Chimeras and firing from the top hatch is a tactic with no value. What's the point? You can just as easily the infantry hide behind/inside terrain, or behind vehicles. Driving away when the enemy get close is just silly. Where are you going to go? You can't go backwards because you'll run out of table; you can't go forwards because that only leads to the enemy line. So do you go left or right? Whichever way you go, you won't be able to escape a closing assaulty unit on account of the fact that they can move 12" or more to come get you; so unless you move directly away from them (impossible in most cases) they'll be right on top of you next turn. Even if you could escape, what would you have accomplished? As Wagamer points out - Not-dying is not an achievement in itself. You'd be better rolling forward and dismounting those infantry to unleash everything they've got in rapid fire flashlight storm. If your Chimera has a heavy flamer, even better.

Everyone's afraid to lose troops, but it's inevitable...might as well get your money's worth. Besides, this is the Imperial Guard; victories are bought in blood.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Good point, but mortars can have their uses at times. It's really just a question of preference. Overall, gin=ving your Guard a mortar to fire from the top hatch probably isn't worth it, but damn it if it isn't awesome

I guess you could fire different heavy weapons out of the top hatch in defensive situations...
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
Good point, but mortars can have their uses at times. It's really just a question of preference. Overall, gin=ving your Guard a mortar to fire from the top hatch probably isn't worth it, but damn it if it isn't awesome
It does make for a fluffy mortar section...and some great modeling opportunities. Perhaps stuffing a leadership based command squad in the back of a Chimera with a mortar would be a good means to protect them whilst simultaneously giving life to that innovative concept? I think it might be a waste of a Chimera though.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't forget that IA 1 has the additional weapon selections for the chimera, I run mine with hull HB, and a turret autocannon for some sweet sweet firepower. If I recall theres also TL-HB option for the turret. It will let you have a little bit more variety and firepower in your mechanized list.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've seen a few mechanized IG players around, and many of them seemed to abandon the concept of zipping forwards, unloading and blazing away with the lasguns.

Perhaps they feel their style of play is monotonous, but they seem to just form the same old battle line, have all their Chimeras empty, and just plug away with every gun they have. :huh:
Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
I've seen a few mechanized IG players around, and many of them seemed to abandon the concept of zipping forwards, unloading and blazing away with the lasguns.

Perhaps they feel their style of play is monotonous, but they seem to just form the same old battle line, have all their Chimeras empty, and just plug away with every gun they have. :huh:
Really? No special weapon squads with a manic bloodlust leaning towards suicidal? Seems like they might be missing a trick there.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent

Really? No special weapon squads with a manic bloodlust leaning towards suicidal? Seems like they might be missing a trick there.
Yeah, they didn't seem to be the brightest players. Didn't see any special weapon squads either, if I recall. *shrug*