Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apoc baneblade in reg game
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Apoc baneblade in reg game

This is an ethical question. But would it be ethical to include the cheaper, more powerful version of the apoc baneblade in a regular battle rather then the more expensive version from IA 1.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Apoc baneblade in reg game

No. The Apoc baneblade is for Apoc games only, as far as I am concerned. It is like asking if we can use legendary formations in normal 40k. Just use the more expensive version if you really need a super-heavy in a skirmish game...
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, the gecko!
No. The Apoc baneblade is for Apoc games only, as far as I am concerned. It is like asking if we can use legendary formations in normal 40k. Just use the more expensive version if you really need a super-heavy in a skirmish game...
Agreed. Super heavies don't really belong in games of less than 2000 points anyway, and when they do appear in that 1000 point bracket between 'standard' and 'apocalypse', they really shouldn't be abominably powerful and underpriced. Stick to the Imperial Armour rules.

However, although the Apocalypse rulebook makes it absolutely crystal clear that the rules for legendary units are for Apocalypse games only, the updated unit rules found in Imperial Armour Apocalypse seem to be for use in conventional games also. This is suggested first by the text on the cover; "New rules for Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer 40,000 Apocalypse", and also by footer notes in some super heavy tank datasheets that stipulate given units may be taken as part of a warmachine detachment for their parent army. This has me a little bewildered, so I guess I'll just stick to the original rules for non-apocalyptic games, and break out the new ones when I want to go over 3000 points.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Exactly, with super heavies I'd stick with the standard (ie. old) rules when dealing with normal 40k games. That super big pizza pie template was meant for games where the opponent has at least 3k worth of models and could take an entire army of (insert nasty unit here). Apoc seems to be balanced by introducing so much ridiculously powerful stuff that it should balance out. And plus it is meant to be played in a much less competitive manner. In comparison the standard 40k rules attempt to balance things by limiting the power of things (at least in most cases).

I'm just hoping that Forgeworld doesn't switch to making all their super heavies Apoc units.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I'm just hoping that Forgeworld doesn't switch to making all their super heavies Apoc units.
Oh, that would be disasterous...just imagine the Baneblade proliferation in small games. :'(
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If you want to use Baneblades in normal 40K, you need Imperial Armour Volume 1. If you attempt to field the Apocalypse version in a standard game, your opponent has the right to make you eat the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I will flip the bird to my opponent straight on. I did it before to one of the kids (14 count as little I guess) that wanted to use an Apoc Baneblade in a 1000 pts game with me.

The only way I can see me playing against a Baneblade in a normal game is if they use;

a)Imperial Armour 1 rules

b)It is an Ork battlewagon that is following the codex and not the Apoc book.

c)As terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 21:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nope. Not without opponent's position, and noone would give you that (that I know of)
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:48   #9 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Its not so much that its unethical, its illegal to do so in the rules. Apoc stuff can only be used in Apoc, IA can be used in either. You'd have trouble getting a baneblane into (most peoples) regular sized games because it has to be a seperate detatchment.

Perosnally I'd be fine with you using a Baneblade (provided it was the IA rules, not the Apoc ones that I have no time for). I'm fairly confident my airforce could make short work of one.

Why do people assume that the oment you go over 3000 points your playing Apoc? Last I checked it was still ok just to have large games of 40k.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 09:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
Why do people assume that the moment you go over 3000 points you're playing Apoc? Last I checked it was still ok just to have large games of 40k.
There's no rule to say that games of 3000 points automatically shift gear into Apocalypse mode, and nor did anyone suggest there was. 3000 points is, however, the crossover point where the Apocalypse rules are said to fit with the scale of the battle, and when I go over 3000 points I prefer to use the expansion rules. There’s nothing wrong with that is there? The expansion rules are geared towards massive scale games and bring in battle formations which add a new flavour to battles, both in terms of gameplay and fluff. I also much prefer the new flyers rules, which allow my aircraft to have a more tangible presence on the tabletop. But above all else, I simply prefer the freedom of unit selection offered by the expansion; it allows me to represent my army in the manner I see fit, without having to bow to FOC restrictions.