Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Artillery strikes in Apocalypse
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Artillery strikes in Apocalypse

I've been thinking a great deal about a custom vehicle I am planning to represent a Basilisk - a tactical air controller (bits are expected Wednesday) - and while flicking through the armoured battlegroup army list to see how to incorporate it I came across the 'Artillery strike' which is a 0-1 choice Heavy Support choice. I briefly considered using my proposed model to represent the Artillery Forward Observer from the HQ section, then dismissed it on the grounds that a single inaccurate pie plate landing in the same area every turn was a poor choice. It occurred to me that it'd be far more appealing if it were three pie plates every turn or something like that...then it hit me - Apocalypse lifts all unit and FOC restrictions. Just think of the mayhem you could bring to bear...In a 3000 point game, you could potentially field a single forward observer with 41 guns at his command!

Though that's an extreme example and it'd make a damned boring game, I think the capacity to call in three at a time would make for a fluffy and effective addition to an apocalypse army list. Even eight wouldn't be outside the realms of 'realism', as it would fairly accurately represent a point destruction mission for a modern day gun battery...but it might be pushing it on the tabletop.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Artillery strikes in Apocalypse

I would go with three guns per observer. Write some house rules, let him command some different things- Manticore or Bombard, anyone? What is he taking- infantry, sentinel, or flyer?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
I would go with three guns per observer. Write some house rules, let him command some different things- Manticore or Bombard, anyone? What is he taking- infantry, sentinel, or flyer?
The existing rules allow him to call in fire from a Manticore, Basilisk, Griffon or mortar battery, so that encompasses a nice variety of bombardment types. As for transport, he can currently have a Salamander command vehicle, Leman Russ or Chimera...but the option of an infiltrating infantry unit to serve as the forward observer would be pretty cool. I suppose it probably wouldn't belong in an armour battlegroup though. :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea... not exactly AB stuff, unless he dropped in from a small flyer
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote