Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Guard (Want help with a List please)
Old 16 Dec 2007, 09:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Starting Guard (Want help with a List please)

Hi All,

Im contemplating Starting Guard in the near Future (Gue'Vesa tog o along wit my tau to be exact) and I was thinking of starting with 2 Battle Forces and 1 Infantry Box. i was thinking Id take the 60 Guardsmen and making 2 Infantry Platoons (50 of them) and making a command platoon, leaving me with 5 that Im going to use for a Rough Riders Conversion. What i was wanting help with was what to equip my 6 Heavy Weapon Squads with, and what kind of Leman Russ to take.

Any help at all is much appreciated,
Matthew
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Starting Guard (Want help with a List please)

Well, looks like a good start. Just be ready for that pile of sprues.

Heavy Weapons wise, you'll want a balance between anti infantry and andti tank. You can't really just take Heavy Bolters and Lascannons, though, because you'd want some Autocannoins for anti-skimmer. Missile launchers are generally not used, unless you are going for fluff.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Well, looks like a good start. Just be ready for that pile of sprues.

Heavy Weapons wise, you'll want a balance between anti infantry and andti tank. You can't really just take Heavy Bolters and Lascannons, though, because you'd want some Autocannoins for anti-skimmer. Missile launchers are generally not used, unless you are going for fluff.
In my opinion, Autocannons should form the core of your heavy weapons. They are tremendously versatile, and while some people think they are obsolete because they excel at neither role, you've got enough heavy weapons slots not to need to worry about each gun serving a specific purpose.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

DO NOT GLUE YOUR HEAVY WEAPON! Make it so you can inter-switch them, and the best way to find which ones to use is to well, try them all!

The battleforces can only make the standard leman russ tank, not demolisher. I reccomend sponsons/hull mounted heavy bolters for anti-horde (Or ork armor =) ) Or if facing anything else, a hull mounted lascannon and sponson heavy bolters.

Back to heavy weapons though, never use mortars in groups of one. They need numbers (As in, the same squad) Also, here is a tip. Mortars can be used without a base. Just take standar guardsmen, give one the bomb carrying arms and another one acting as a guard or what have you, and you can have an easy six mortars (The max you can have with the two battleforces) but that will account for 12 men.

Also, I went through this myself. You can't say 'using the sixty infantry I am going to make two platoons (Fifty men)...' The heavy weapons counts as two men, so with those six heavy weapons Probably used in your infantry and command squads) they take up twelve men. These men you can use for the mortar squads as mentioned above, or two remenants squads for your platoons, it is really up to you.

EDIT: Fixed bad spelling and grammar, my bad.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, the gecko!
...You can't say 'using the two infantry I am going to make two platoons (Fifty men)...' The heavy weapons counts as two men, so with those six heavy weapons Probably used in your infantry and command squads) they take up twelve men. These men you can use for the mortar squads as mentioned above, or two remenants squads for your platoons, it is really up to you.
I'm a little bit baffled by this, bud. What he's saying is straightforward enough; he has 60 men in total, with which he plans to make two infantry platoons (50 men) and one regimental command squad (5 men), leaving 5 left over for whatever (Rough Riders just ain't gonna happen). Out of that lot he's got 7 slots for heavy weapons teams, but these teams are not additional to the total troop count; the numbers remain the same. ???
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow my speech recognition thingy went crazy, sorry I will edit it by hand to fix the mistakes (Broke two fingers and sprained another)

What I mean was this. If he splits it into two plattons (Two ten man squads and a five man command squad each) he replaces two normal guardsmen every time he adds a heavy weapon. Yes, the troop numbers stay the same, yet he has additional standard lasgun armed models left over. So if he uses all six heavy heapons, he has twelve men left over, but his platoon is still made up of 50 men. Does this make more sense?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 18:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, the gecko!
Wow my speech recognition thingy went crazy, sorry I will edit it by hand to fix the mistakes (Broke two fingers and sprained another)

What I mean was this. If he splits it into two plattons (Two ten man squads and a five man command squad each) he replaces two normal guardsmen every time he adds a heavy weapon. Yes, the troop numbers stay the same, yet he has additional standard lasgun armed models left over. So if he uses all six heavy heapons, he has twelve men left over, but his platoon is still made up of 50 men. Does this make more sense?
Yes, that makes more sense. So, all told, he would have 17 Guardsmen left over. That's enough to make another infantry squad (minus the heavy weapon) and lay the foundations for a Hardened Veterans squad - Special weapons to follow at a later date.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Rough Riders just ain't gonna happen
Why exactly?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 20:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonnian4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Rough Riders just ain't gonna happen
Why exactly?
Because it's a massive modelling project and I've seen enough pipe dreams to know one when I see it.

Maybe you're one of the exceptional few that actually commits to his grandiose schemes, but such people are few and far between.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 20:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heh, Mines seems to be rather straight forward to me, (Tau Gun Drones Upsides Down, with some wire to create handles, Put a slightly converted Guardsmen on, should be rather easy)