Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interesting (possibly stupid) question about the Cyclops
Old 06 Dec 2007, 15:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Interesting (possibly stupid) question about the Cyclops

Can it's template be placed so that it touches a unit in CC? I know that normally, you cannot fire into a combat, but the cyclops is kind of a weird case since it's self destructing and thus does not require a target to be named. Plus if the template cannot be placed into a combat at all that would mean that it would pretty much be unable to blow up if there was a combat within 2.5" of it. On the other hand, being able to place the template into a combat would definitely be breaking a major feature of the game and could make the cyclops an absolute monster for it's points cost. I notice there is also a similar debate going on about the vibrocannon.

Let it be known that I'm personally erring on the side of caution so far due to the reasons I mentioned. I reckon that to be fair anyone in CC hit by the cyclops' template should be an "incidental" casualty and the majority of the models hit by the blast should be models not in CC. Of course that's just a quick house ruling off the top of my head, so I'm going to put it up here on the forum to see what the guard experts have to say once again.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 15:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Interesting (possibly stupid) question about the Cyclops

Good question. Personally, I would treat this as a "scatter into combat" effect. In short, resolve it the same way you would as if an Ordnance / Barrage weapon had landed a shot into combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mmmm...it is very much a deliberate action if you drive it into a crowd and detonate it yourself, but if it just happens to be in the immediate vicinity of a close combat and your opponent elects to shoot at it, then it's sort of accidental isn't it?

Going by RAW there's nothing to stop you driving it into your own men and pressing the big red button, but going by the spirit of the rules, which allow no commander (no matter how sadistic) to deliberately fire into the mayhem of close combat, I'd say it's a big no-no.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

it says in rulebook that you can't place templates over your own models or in combat, so no you couldn't, and as it doesn't scatter..

and also its impossible to get a full strength hit on a vehicle, as the hole isn't over the vehicle, its on your cyclops, so thats why i stopped using them since new edition, though the model is so cute.... ahem

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not necessarily. Look at Tom's example.

Quote:
Mmmm...it is very much a deliberate action if you drive it into a crowd and detonate it yourself, but if it just happens to be in the immediate vicinity of a close combat and your opponent elects to shoot at it, then it's sort of accidental isn't it?
So if you park it next to a group in combat and make it so the enemy needs to kill it or face devastation & the enemy commander shoots it then yeah as it'll be collateral damage.

Quote:
Going by RAW there's nothing to stop you driving it into your own men and pressing the big red button, but going by the spirit of the rules, which allow no commander (no matter how sadistic) to deliberately fire into the mayhem of close combat, I'd say it's a big no-no.
Hmm I'm sure there's a few traitor commanders who would disagree.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 17:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah but if you follow the rules.. you can't

Old 06 Dec 2007, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
it says in rulebook that you can't place templates over your own models or in combat, so no you couldn't, and as it doesn't scatter.
You're absolutely right. Although that rule is given in the context of shooting into combat, it does expressly stipulate that you can't place blast markers or templates such that they cover any models locked in close combat.

Riot control by way of Cyclops deployment is not an option then. The Arbites will be so very disappointed.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 18:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

also it says in ordanance/templete bit that you cant put on your own models

Old 06 Dec 2007, 20:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Good question. Personally, I would treat this as a "scatter into combat" effect. In short, resolve it the same way you would as if an Ordnance / Barrage weapon had landed a shot into combat.
And what might that be...?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 20:38   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
And what might that be...?
Application of common sense. If the bomb goes off and hits models in combat, it will probably kill them unless they're a Wraithlord.

As for the vehicle thing... I think any opponent who deserves to keep his teeth would accept that a "Demolition Vehicle" needs to be able to level bunkers. Ergo, it will do equally well at levelling tanks, and anything hit by it, infantry, vehicle or fortified position, should take a full-strength hit.

If your opponent isn't deserving of said teeth, Book-bag him.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote