Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sentinel questions
Old 03 Dec 2007, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default sentinel questions

I was thinking about getting a few sentinels but what type of scenario are the uesd for. what are they used for are they sheilds or what. what type of tirrain are they good in. what are the strenghts and weeknesses.

thanks for the help

Romoved glow, fixed spelling errors - JD
junkkeeper1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: sentinel questions

Well, the biggest thing with Sentinels is that their armor is paper thin- Firewarriors will reliably kill them. Because of this, you need to use cover. Luckily they can move through terrain relativley well. Most people I know use them for "sniping" armor, since they can move and shoot a las cannon. It is really up to personal choice- all of the designs are pretty good.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have 1 that I give an autocannon to so it can go gunning for Marines. Its really just personal choice. And yes, they are REALLY easy to kill, so don't expect a lot from them. That way, if they do manage to kill something, you will be insanely happy.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 06:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mikeo
I have 1 that I give an autocannon to so it can go gunning for Marines.
That's an odd statement. Surely a lascannon missile launcher armed support sentinel would be the better choice for hunting power armoured models?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 08:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I prefer the humble multilaser for hunting marines. Its cheap, pumps out 3 shots a turn and still wounds them on a 2+.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 10:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

While a lascannon is perfect for taking out one marine at a time, autocannons/multilasers are just as effective. Lascannon Heavy 1... only able to kill one marine, althorgh he dosnt get a armour save, multi laser, heavy 3 hitting on 4's but wounding on 2's you will proberly avrage out of one death, same with the autocannon... But lascannons are a the best weapon for taking out that dredded armour, or creatures such as carnifexes and stuff..

^about bloody time =P
Death_By_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 15:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_By_chance
While a lascannon is perfect for taking out one marine at a time, autocannons/multilasers are just as effective. Lascannon Heavy 1... only able to kill one marine, althorgh he dosnt get a armour save, multi laser, heavy 3 hitting on 4's but wounding on 2's you will proberly avrage out of one death, same with the autocannon... But lascannons are a the best weapon for taking out that dredded armour, or creatures such as carnifexes and stuff..
Mmm...fair one, the multilaser is statistically as effective as the Lascannon against power armoured marines, and with greater potential, but the autocannon falls short in that respect. I guess it kinda makes up for it in terms of budget Rhino slaying though.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 16:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I guess it kinda makes up for it though in terms of budget Rhino slaying though.
Ok I'm going to find some way to write that on the next autocannon Sentinel I make.

More on topic do many people use the heavy flamer variant?

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 16:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
...do many people use the heavy flamer variant?
I mean to add some Sentinels to my Elysian army, but they don't have access to the normal weapons. If I field them as codex IG with the drop troop doctrine then I might add Heavy Flamer Sentinels and use them kinda like smart bombs...but I can't help but think that'd be extremely cheesy. :-\
Old 08 Dec 2007, 05:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I meant multi-laser, it was just a brain disconnect.